Rear View Wireless Camera / LCD Monitor

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
I would very much like to fit a rear view camera to the back of my caravan as there is no through vision. The display to be clipped to the rear view mirror of the towing vehicle and connected wirelessly to the rear camera / transmitter. When not in use the monitor can be unclipped from the mirror. Ideally the camera power should come from the car to caravan charging circuit so that it is only being used when the engine is switched on and the alternator is charging. I would like continuous vision when the car is in operation both forward and in reverse.

Can any one guide me to such a system and the supplier please?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi David, think there was a debate on here sometime ago about the wireless systems, some saying the signal was intermittent so if you go for one I suppose it's the old addage of "you get what you pay for"

I and a couple of others on here have a hard wired system, not that hard to wire up as I did mine with the help of Sir Sprocket (he's a clever chappie)
Again you get what you pay for, I have recently had an extra dedicated cig lighter fitted which is wired to the ignition so you could do that for your system. Cant comment really on the wireless system as I have not actually used one, but am sure there will be a better one on the market by know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After the previous threads I fitted a wireless camera to the rear of my caravan, transmitting to a monitor which clips over the driving mirror. The wireless transmitter has a fused feed and switch directly from the leisure battery while that in the car is supplied from a socket fitted in the load space, standard on on the Freelander and similar vehicles.

The result is very good indeed. The camera has IR illumination so is good at dusk. At night the headlights of following cars tend to glare somewhat in the picture and the same is true if there is low sun directly behind you.

The range is excellent, even with the transmitter in the toilet room rear of carvan. I get a good pic when car is unhitched and up to 20 m in front of the van.

It has taken much of the towing stress when abroad away from my wife who had to take up towing late in life due to my eye condition.

Kit was from parkingcameras.co.uk who have been very helpful and who offer a trial period. Not cheap, but after the mover easily the best money I've spent on the caravan.
Usual disclaimer.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for that. Just had the Powertouch 4 X 4 movers fitted and now seeking a good rear camera system. My thoughts on using the car's 12 volt fridge supply rather than leisure battery were that there would be no chance of leaving the camera / transmitter turned on.
I will see what parkingcameras.co.uk have to offer.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
David_5127637 said:
Thanks for that. Just had the Powertouch 4 X 4 movers fitted and now seeking a good rear camera system. My thoughts on using the car's 12 volt fridge supply rather than leisure battery were that there would be no chance of leaving the camera / transmitter turned on.
I will see what parkingcameras.co.uk have to offer.

Think you will find the power will come from the car/cig lighter or the option of being wired direct. I have a twin camera on the back of the van, one for long distance and switch modes for close up when reversing, also got a single camera permanently on fixed to the back of the car which is used when not towing.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
David

This is how my rear view camera is fitted to the back of the van, the bracket is mounted on a piece of perspex and then stuck onto the rear of the van ...

Leeds-20130716-00457_zps9dcbe119.jpg

You have to do a bit of faffing to find the right place or you wont be able to see down the back of the van more so if you intend to use it for reversing..
Leeds-20130716-00460_zps7387330f.jpg

This was taken with the bracket just duck taped to the back of the van before deciding on the optimum place to fit it.
Leeds-20130707-00359_zps7b31fac0.jpg

Leeds-20130707-00361_zpsd455012d.jpg

My wiring goes through the roof, but with yours wanting to be wireless you might have more options

This camera has a 70deg and 120deg viewing angles.

Leeds-20130719-00482_zpseab3b10c.jpg

This was taken when first time out with it installed
A rear good view camera is worth every penny, for the view of the blind spot directly at the back of the van ( it may seem a bit dark but the protective screen cover was still on ) you can't see that car was there with mirrors alone
1e96ed01-5c3a-4445-9cad-2369658905df_zps80f670d3.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Few more details. My van has rear toilet room and I made a long brackey which fits along the top of the window and is held in place when the window is fully closed and locked. The cable from the camera is thin enough to pinch through the winndow seals, so no holes required in the bodyworh, and nothing stuck on to the caravan. Easy to remove camera if parked in a place where it might be vunerable. This could wrrk for twin lens camera just as well.
Suppliers assured me transmitter is waterproof and would be ok in toilet room which may get a little steamy when showering but is generally quite dry. The camera height is about 2m above road level, which enables me to reach it and clean off the lens easily after rain etc.
I preferred to take power from leisure battery to avoid another car to caravan cable with connections out in the weather. It should be possible to pick up the supply from the car which serves the fridge such that you get an 'ignition only,' supply, but in the absence of a decent wiring diagram it was easier to run directly from the battery. The switch is fitted near the mover master switch so it is easy to remember to switch off the camera when pitching or connecting up.

We have now towed around 3000 miles in the year since fitting the camera and have had no problems with it at all. The monitor fits over the driving mirror, so is shaded from most reflections and is in the place where you look instinctively before overtaking or joining another road etc. the monitor can be left in place without the caravan connected when the rear view is similar to the 'dipped' position of a dipping interior mirror, probably not suited to long term use.

My only criticism is that the connector from monitor to cable is small and less robust than the other 4 pin connectors, but just needs to be aligned exactly before pushing parts together.
I'm also lookin at fitting a camera to the car, but have yet to work out a 'no holes' method.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Ray.
I did a similar thing but we had a small window in the back of the van.
made a "S" bracket that slotted onto the sill and held in place by closing the window although I used a hard wired system and a long cable from camera to back of car, [through the front window] powered from the aux socket in the boot to the monitor [visor type] over the mirror, system worked well and took only minutes to set up.
still have the system installed on the car but now it works as a reversing camera. on channel 1 and a rear view camera channel 2 if the cars fully loaded and the mirror obstructed.
ps. they do a range of cameras that replace the number plate light now so no drilling the boot lid.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin, thanks for info. Unfortunately numberplat on Freelander is on tail gate and wiring would involve taking all the interior trim out and trying to get the cable and connections up throug the ducting into the rear of the car.
A small camera positioned just inside the top of the tailgate seems much easier but I'll let you know.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I bought a wired camera and monitor off ebay for less than £40. I fitted the camera under the floor of the van and ran the cables along the chassis. It gives a slightly worm's eye view but it shows clearly enough anything in the blind spot immediately behind the van.
P1050065_zpsqheub0sa.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
We have one. The picture is ok, and its really useful. OH added some copper wire to strengthen the signal somehow. Bit confusing for reversing, but great for seeing who's trying to park in your bunks!

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I think it’s up to the user to see which one you choose clip over mirror or a suction mount screen.
I have opted for a separate dash mounted screen and a 2 camera setup
I have used ppa car audio’s product who came out on site and installed it.
The screen shows the tow ball with one camera and the other one show what’s behind my caravan
I am very happy with their service
http://www.ppacaraudio.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=108

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
We have one. Came from ebay, about £40. We found the best way to piwer it was with a usb charger battery pack in the car, or you get too much interference on the screen. Its a great piece of kit,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been thinking of changing my van for one where getting a 12v supply to the rear would be a bit complicated. Thought about using a small sealed 12v rechargeable battery in stead, recharging it with the CTEK I normally carry anyway. Talked with parking cameras ltd. and they suggested that the power drain of camera and wireless transmitter was pretty low so the idea should work. 12Ah battery should give 24 hours operation at least - such are readily obtainable and not very big. just remember to switch it off when you get there.

I put a small red Flashing LED across the camera feed in my present van such that I am reminded to switch it off as I go into the caravan.

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi I like the idea of a Wifi reverse camera in my Bailey Ranger 500/5, as van with be hitched to car while
reversing power will be going to reverse lights to illuminate, but im not sure how I could get to back of lamp
units to power up camera, and where could I hide camera transmitter ???

car side receiver seems a bit easier as power would come from cigar lighter, and received video
would be fed into my Android Tablet or Mobile by Wifi Hotspot Tethering ??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Huey,
If you are going to all the trouble of installing a camera for reversing mai I suggest you consider using it for rear vision while towing. You will find the improved rear vision a re valation . This is even more noticable if you go to Europr.

While I have no doubt the image could be transferred to a tablet or other device, you would need to mount this where you could see it clearly, where it would not obstruct your vision and such that it did not fall off or otherwise distract you.

I suggest the purpose built monitors which clip over the interior driving mirror of your towcar are a much better and safer bet and put the image where you would instinctively look for it, i.e. where you look in normal driving.

The transmitter can be several metres from the camera using suitable extension cables.

Connecting to the reverse light circuits will not of course power continuous rear vision and may not be too easy to do or indeed advisable.

Suggest you look at the products available - I've mentioned the supplier I use but others are available

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts