Rear waste pipes

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On TV tonight John Wickersham complained that a used Coachman Amara had rear exit for waste water,on the basis that on a sloping pitch it could be difficult to get water to drain. We have rear exit pipes and have never had a problem. We usually have a levellish pitch and having the waste water exit at the rear means the waste water containers are out of the way when parking the car on CC pitches. Also CC service pitches we have used have the drain at the rear of the pitch so the pipe work is shorter, means our water drains away easily. The side draining pipes on these service pitch end up with longer runs and i often see the lengths of pipe lying on the ground, plainly not draining the water away, so I prefer the rear exit pipes every time.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
John Wickersham is an experienced and knowledgeable chap, and so is WoodlandsCamper so there must be something in the "rear drains" situation that causes some folks problems.
However
As far as I can remember most of my vans over the years have had rear drains, and I've never experienced any problems..... mind you, I suppose it's early days yet as I've only been caravanning since the sixties and in all those years I must have used quite a few sloping pitches, so perhaps I have just been lucky.

As long as folks' remember that water "prefers" to run downhill I've always found it simple to level the van (one way or another) so the drains work Ok

I never buy new vans so perhaps the problems don't occur with older vans... maybe that's the explanation?
Regards
to all
paws

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I've stayed on several sites where the slope has been such that the back of the caravan was almost touching the ground - could only wind the rear steadies down about 2 inches. I think with rear waste pipes the only way to connect the outlets to a Wastemaster would have been to use an extension pipe & have the waster master somewhat downhill & to the side as otherwise it would have been uphill of the back of the caravan.

Jim

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm only a 2 and a bit season caravaner but I carry the double pipe set up which goes in the wastemaster and a long length of pipe for serviced pitches. this way I could always run the long length pipe half way down the van and into the wastemaster if on a slope.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Woodlands Camper,we have stayed at Stowford,sloping pitch,and still no problem, I think it is unfortunate that John Wickershams view could have influenced people who may be looking for their first caravan, in fact we had side pipes for years and based on the fact that I had been told to avoid rear pipes,I planned to convert our current van to side pipes when it arrived, but having used the rears I found them better than the sides, each to their own I suppose.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I did the opposite and changed mine from the side to the back. reason for this was the kitchen sink was at the back with the bathroom next to it the original drain pipes under the van were nearly 2mtrs long and would not drain properly.
fitting at the back cured this, never had a problem with this set up, as if we got a sloping pitch I just turned the van round so the A frame was up side,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our old Eldiss had the rear outlets and they are definitely a problem if you get a sloping pitch. They are probably better at the rear from the point of view of getting them out the way but can be impossible to use on a really downward slope.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Our last van had the waste at the rear and on a few occassions it did cause problems on slopping pitches. It also caused problems when I got too close to an embankment and did not leave enough room to get the waste container under the van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts