Recent caravan reviews in PCV

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Recent caravan reviews seem to be overly concerned with appearance rather than quality or utility, with comments indicating 'stylish alloys' or 'new decals' in bold large type as if these are the key factors of interest to potential buyers of new caravans. Can this really be so ? would not some criticism or the major parts ( where justified of course) not be more appropriate, or does the advertising income have perhaps undue influence ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is similar in the Clubs’ magazines. Your final sentence puts your finger on it, but without makers offering their products for review a magazine with limited circulation would not be able to afford to buy the caravans for review. Makers are unlikely then to offer their products if they were to be critically reviewed in all respects. Whereas the large car magazines can be as critical and rude as they please

I agree your point though about the adulation that a new set of decals seems to draw:)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree the problem is that if the reviews were too critical then the supply might dry up. To be fair they do have to comment on the exterior, but appearance is personal, so while you might say the wheel design has changed saying anything more is probably irrelevant. Yet another new wheel design is of no interest to me and seems to be a complete waste of time and money as I cannot think many people care if it has changed as long as it looks the part.
What you need is a detailed description of the interior and any possible problems. Looking at the last edition reviews of the Coachman, it completely misses the lack of a curtain for the side bed, which to me makes the area useless as one for most people. A little bit more criticism would not go amiss but I do accept the magazines limitations.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A major part missing from the reviews is for me more important than decor. I want to know more about the method of construction and it’s longevity in remaining water tight. I want to know a lot more about the third party equipment fitted eg heaters fridges cookers etc. The design and functions do not appear much different from those ten years ago. Further some of the Tower fridge freezers may be so complex that repairs will cost a fortune in the future. I welcome comments about the potential cost of repairs to me once the various warranties expire. Comments about potential depreciation and residual values would also be welcome.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Must admit I am wary of some of the tower fridges but at a certain level you get one whatever model you buy. Bearing in mind the under counter models cost over £1,000, I hate to think what some of the tower ones cost.
Depreciation though does not seem to be a problem for any make, they all seem to do this at about the same figure and as you tend to be looking at new models it is speculative. Caravans are quite good on depreciation compared with cars, we spent about the same on the last car and caravan, after four and a half years the car lost about £11,000 and the caravan £6,000.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not just the magazines, an online reviewer bought his own caravan then found the fridge door opened outwards and blocked access to the fridge,due to layout of the caravan.I have always looked on our caravans from the point of view that they needed to get as close as possible to suit our needs, after 10 vans most with different layouts decided that reviews need to be taken as an opinion to be considered,but not taken as anything other than that, my opinion is always against the current Baileys because of no front locker and electric hook up on awning side, and battery in floor, all of those things are not for me, but I see loads of them on sites so other people must like such details.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
True reviews are really just an opinion although that of an experienced caravanner. Personally I do wonder if I could manage without the front locker, we very rarely use an awning and that is a porch one so the location of the mains socket does not worry me. I do think the battery box in the floor is a good idea and gives better weight distribution but would prefer to see the spare wheel there. Just goes to show we are all different but the review might help us rule out some models when looking to replace the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
woodsieboy said:
Not just the magazines, an online reviewer bought his own caravan then found the fridge door opened outwards and blocked access to the fridge,due to layout of the caravan.I have always looked on our caravans from the point of view that they needed to get as close as possible to suit our needs, after 10 vans most with different layouts decided that reviews need to be taken as an opinion to be considered,but not taken as anything other than that, my opinion is always against the current Baileys because of no front locker and electric hook up on awning side, and battery in floor, all of those things are not for me, but I see loads of them on sites so other people must like such details.

On many fridges, the door can be reversed so it opens in the opposite direction.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Reviewrs can't win. We never missed the front locker on our Bailey nor did the nearside cable entry bother us. Just tuck it beneath the van! The waterproof side lockers more than made up for it. They can't really comment on longevity as they are new but they can on second hand reviews and do!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
JezzerB said:
Reviewrs can't win. We never missed the front locker on our Bailey nor did the nearside cable entry bother us. Just tuck it beneath the van! The waterproof side lockers more than made up for it. They can't really comment on longevity as they are new but they can on second hand reviews and do!

I agree. It makes far more sense to me to have gas near the axle

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day what you need to know is what there is and where it is, and you can then decide if it fits your criteria. Not sure there was any point in the history lesson on the Adria review this month though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts