Recently bought our first van....

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
From Wirral Caravans - if anoyone else has used them I'd like to hear from you.

we had spent a few weeks looking around various dealers, in caravans of all sizes and all price ranges to work out what we wanted.

We settled on a Swift Challenger 400SE, it had everything we wanted at a price we could afford and appeared to be in good condition.

The salesman told us the main thing to look for in caravans of this age (1995) is damp, and that all their vans are free from damp as they are checked before purchase. He went on to tell us about the caravans features and finished by telling us that the van would be fully serviced before delivery and comes with a 6 month warranty.

We went away thought about it, had another look at it and put a deposit down. Pick up date was agreed.

When we went to pick the van up it had not been cleaned, wich we were a little dissappointed about. He showed us how to work everything. Gave us a mains hook up lead, water containers, a new 7kg gas bottle, a step and a new battery. When I asked where the spare wheel was he told me it was under the van, so I had a look, not there. He dissapeared round the back and returned with an old looking 145R13 wheel, the van is fitted with 165R13 wheels. I accepted the wheel as it was better than nothing.

Hitched up and took it home, on the drive home we felt and heard the van hitting the back of the car violently every time I touched the brakes, even when braking very lightly. when unhitiching the van I noticed the cupling head remained fully compressed and was very easily pushed in and out. I phoned the dealer about this problem to be told it was normal, I would not accept this and he then agreed to send the fitter out to look at it the next weekend.

When the fitter arrived he agreed that the coupling damper had failed and it would need to be replaced, he said he did not service this van as he was on holiday the week it went out, and that this should have been picked up on the service. The damper was replaced and I thought that would be the end of our problems.

Before taking the van out for the first time I checked the tyre pressures, 30psi, they should have been 42psi which I corrected them to. I was starting to wonder now if it had been serviced at all.

We then had a weekend away in it before easter with no problems, as well as a long weekend at easter, although we did notice the floor was starting to delaminate towards the rear end of the van.

Last weekend I pulled down the blind on the kitchen window, and the whole blind decided to come away from the wall, not too much of a problem I tought, just needs some bigger screws. Then I noticed rusty marks on the wall where the screws had been, looking at the screws they were rusty, feeling the wall, it was soft and damp. I pulled up the window seal a little to see the window frame is black and soft. I managed to get hold of a damp meter and checked around the window readings of 100% damp working further out from the window I found its not actually the window seal at fault, as it reads 80 - 100% damp accross the full width of the back wall, this reduces as you go down the wall to about 50 - 60% near the bottom. I have put this down to the joint between the roof and the back panel.

I phoned the dealer last weekend to inform him of these problems, he said they would get it in as soon as possible to have the damaged timbers and wall boards replaced and they would re seal the van. Also repair the floor at the same time. I was reasonably happy with this. We arranged to take it in today to have the work carried out through this week and to pick it up next weekend. I phoned friday to confirm that I was bringing it in today to be told they don't have room for it and I will now have to wait till next weekend.

I am not happy about this and will not buy another van from them in the future.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve & Ruth

I think with these kind of problems, I would be looking at getting my money back, Have a word with your local tradeing stadards officer.

good luck

Jim M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree, the van you bought was not "fit for purpose" and because ( i should hope) they gave you a period of guarantee you should get your money back. Also any reputable dealer would fully service and clean your van before collection and I would have that out with them too!! We collected our 1997 Compass Ralley for our dealer in imaculate condition and had a written guarantee for a year and details of the hand over service. I would be jumping up and down and shouting very loudly by now.

Best of luck

Caroline

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the support, we had asked if we could have our money back but they said they don't do refunds, we can have it repaired or swap it for another van of similar value.

I have spoken to trading standards and they say we do have the right to money back.

I don't know whether to let the repair go ahead next weekend or start pushing for my money back now. The thing is we have added a few extras to the van now including new light fittings, chrome door/draw/cupboard handles, alloy wheels and a status aerial. All of these can be removed but the aerial is going to leave a hole in the roof, is this up to me to cover up or is it not my problem?

Then we will have the hassle of finding another van... don't know what to do.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it was me, I would most definately cut my losses and get my money back. Then heave a sigh of relief at a lucky escape.

Judging by your experience from start to finish - this company have been unreliable and fell short of your expectations several times. I think allowing them to repair this van is just going to escalate your stress levels on past performance from this company.

As for the option of another van of a similar value? Get your money back in your pocket! Don't be tied to one of their vans. You pick and choose who you buy your van off - even if ultimately it happens to be another one of theirs. (Personally I would not contemplate buying another van from them).

Never mind worrying about the hassle of buying another van - Thats a preferable hassle, to having the type of hassle you may have, getting this one repaired!

Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just read your other post about trying to pull the van and now this one. This is terrible, I would certainly be concerned about taking another caravan as a replacement as by the sounds of it the whole place sounds a little dodgy? Did you also sort the pulling problem or are their other things wrong with the van as well as the damp. I would speak with citizens advice before letting them do the repair work, you may find that once they have done this you cannot get your money back? How good will they repair it? And will you ever be happy knowing the problems the van has? If you get it repaired and then sell it on you are going to loose money, it may be worth fighting for your money back now...you did not say how much you have paid for the van? Good Luck and keep us all informed.

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
They sorted the problem with the coupling over run damper within a week, which was fair enough, although it should have been checked before we picked the van up.

I asked twice for my money back, I also mentioned I had spoken to trading standards who informed me we should be offered our money back, but they may also repair the van if they see fit to do so.

On advice from other family members I have agreed to the repairs. The van is in for the repairs now and I should have it back in 2 weeks.

So they are going to completely strip the back wall, replace all damaged wood, fit new wall boards and re-seal the roof to back panel joint.

Remove the carpet and re-bond the floor

Replace the shower tray (cracked - common problem apparently?)

They are going to give an additional 2 year warranty on this work - I will make sure I get this in writing!!

I will let you know what state the van is in when we get it back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear - I would most certainly have pushed for my money back - you can always issue a summons in the small claims court. Unless you paid well over the odds for the van the cost of repairs will be very high. DO make sure you gt things in writing and perhaps off load it in the next two years.

Apr 12, 2005
Visit site
We had a look around their caravans and was given a "tour" by a shifty little man who tried to sell us a bailey. He assured us that none of his caravans have any damp, only for us to open the front locker and water poured out! We got away pretty sharpish and now own an eccles amethyst from elsewhere. He was more like derek trotter than a professional caravan salesman. I hope that you get it sorted quickly and don't forget - they have your hard earned cash and you deserve to get what you paid for!

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
I had thought about small claims court but I didn't really want to get into all that. So long as the repairs are carried out to a high standard I will be happy.

Part of the reason I am letting the repairs go ahead is because I know it is coing to cost them, I also made a list of other small faults for them to rectify while they are at it (these faults I was not previously bothered about after all the van is 10yrs old and can not be expected to be in the condition that it left the factory)

Luckily I didn't pay over the odds for the van, I have since seen the same model/same year at another dealer for

Apr 12, 2005
Visit site
I had thought about small claims court but I didn't really want to get into all that. So long as the repairs are carried out to a high standard I will be happy.

Part of the reason I am letting the repairs go ahead is because I know it is coing to cost them, I also made a list of other small faults for them to rectify while they are at it (these faults I was not previously bothered about after all the van is 10yrs old and can not be expected to be in the condition that it left the factory)

Luckily I didn't pay over the odds for the van, I have since seen the same model/same year at another dealer for

TRENDING THREADS