Recliner chair dilemma!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 24, 2014
Visit site
From The Bard.

“The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.”

Has that cheered you up at all?
Mel

In a word...........NO. Shoot me now!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Would prefer an electric recliner chair, but it seems I need to go down the route of the riser recliner chair to get the option of the back and foot rest working independently.

I know this is an old thread but I don’t know if you found what you want. We bought a leather 3 piece 7 years ago and it has many years left in it. (In fact you have sat in it). I have seen friends furniture collapse internally, but ours holds up. It is a premium make La-Z-Boy and the extra expense is now proving its worth.

They have a large range of chairs and I think they all come with a choice of manual or electric. Some also rock.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but I don’t know if you found what you want. We bought a leather 3 piece 7 years ago and it has many years left in it. (In fact you have sat in it). I have seen friends furniture collapse internally, but ours holds up. It is a premium make La-Z-Boy and the extra expense is now proving its worth.

They have a large range of chairs and I think they all come with a choice of manual or electric. Some also rock.

John
They look very comfy :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I totally agree with you, a riser recliner sofa will be a preferable choice in coming years rather than an old one recliner sofa. It will have more specific features than an old one recliner sofa.

Furthermore, this riser sofa would be a better choice as a quality wise as well mechanism of them. and also it will be more reliable for seating options as compared to older recliner sofas.

I was advised by my physiotherapist to try avoid riser recliners as the riser are less exercise and one needs to exercise muscles as much as possible.
We did look at G-plan furniture and also Laz-y-boy however we were told that the latter are now made in China and quality is not longer as good as G plan furniture.
It takes about 6 months for delivery from time of order and for us timing is "critical" with daughter and family arriving from South Africa next year. They can have our old lounge suite and old cooker to tied them over until they get on their feet. Garage is getting full of stuff we are hanging onto for them.

Reactions: jacknight01
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was advised by my physiotherapist to try avoid riser recliners as the riser are less exercise and one needs to exercise muscles as much as possible.
We did look at G-plan furniture and also Laz-y-boy however we were told that the latter are now made in China and quality is not longer as good as G plan furniture.
It takes about 6 months for delivery from time of order and for us timing is "critical" with daughter and family arriving from South Africa next year. They can have our old lounge suite and old cooker to tied them over until they get on their feet. Garage is getting full of stuff we are hanging onto for them.
We bought ordinary manual recliners 15 years ago, and I’ve been looking to replace mine. The original supplier was a small company in south Wales who after many years of being in contact with us couldn’t be found when I started to look for a replacement. Then I spotted a company in South Wales and rang them asking were they linked to our original supplier. Yes they were but they now only supply to the trade, but they gave us the details of outlets relatively local to us.

After looking at many suppliers I’ve come to the conclusion that it would be best to have a motorised recliner. Mainly because it future proofs me in case the time comes when it becomes necessary. Whether it’s a riser- recliner or just recliner I’ve not yet decided. But wrt what your physiotherapist says all the riser-recliners I have looked at give the user control over the functions so you don’t need to use the riser function unless of course it becomes necessary.

Given the fantastically good service our present chairs have provided my first inclination is to look at one from the outlet supplied by the South Wales company. I may add that I tried HSL and none of their sizes provided good head support, or support under my calves.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought ordinary manual recliners 15 years ago, and I’ve been looking to replace mine. The original supplier was a small company in south Wales who after many years of being in contact with us couldn’t be found when I started to look for a replacement. Then I spotted a company in South Wales and rang them asking were they linked to our original supplier. Yes they were but they now only supply to the trade, but they gave us the details of outlets relatively local to us.

After looking at many suppliers I’ve come to the conclusion that it would be best to have a motorised recliner. Mainly because it future proofs me in case the time comes when it becomes necessary. Whether it’s a riser- recliner or just recliner I’ve not yet decided. But wrt what your physiotherapist says all the riser-recliners I have looked at give the user control over the functions so you don’t need to use the riser function unless of course it becomes necessary.

Given the fantastically good service our present chairs have provided my first inclination is to look at one from the outlet supplied by the South Wales company. I may add that I tried HSL and none of their sizes provided good head support, or support under my calves.
Can you please PM me details of the South Wales company and I can check if they have an outlet near us in Worcester?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can you please PM me details of the South Wales company and I can check if they have an outlet near us in Worcester?

The first one is the one we bought chairs from many years ago. The second have a good reputation too.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

We have the Laz-y-boy suite with powered recliners. I thought it was an American company with a factory over here at that time, but things definitely change.

I have been disappointed in one respect. I could have paid a couple of hundred pounds more for selected leather but didn't. Consequently there are some panels where the texture does not match.

On the other hand, the internal materials and/or springing is clearly superior to others. Ours is about 8 years old now and has not lost its shape at all while friends suites have simply collapsed. It has many years left in it for sure.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the Laz-y-boy suite with powered recliners. I thought it was an American company with a factory over here at that time, but things definitely change.

I have been disappointed in one respect. I could have paid a couple of hundred pounds more for selected leather but didn't. Consequently there are some panels where the texture does not match.

On the other hand, the internal materials and/or springing is clearly superior to others. Ours is about 8 years old now and has not lost its shape at all while friends suites have simply collapsed. It has many years left in it for sure.

John
I believe it is only recently that they outsourced to China. Was told that they do not like selling them due to comebacks and motors failing with 2 years. Of course it could be a line being spun by by the sales person?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I believe it is only recently that they outsourced to China. Was told that they do not like selling them due to comebacks and motors failing with 2 years. Of course it could be a line being spun by by the sales person?

Our 4 motors are still going strong. And historically they have a very good reputation. But things change overnight sometimes.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I tried a Stressless with motor actuation for recline and leg rest. It was large enough to accept my 6 ft 4 inches but I felt it was too low and if I developed back mobility problems I may not have found it easy to get out.
My son suggested a seat from Volvo XC70, a 12 v battery fixed to a couple of railway sleepers. For the price of the Stressless I’d have got a half reasonable Volvo too.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Our 4 motors are still going strong. And historically they have a very good reputation. But things change overnight sometimes.

John

Just did a bit of research. La-z-boy are in Maidenhead. But that might only be an office, I don’t know. Wikipedia say American with factories in the UK and other places, but not China.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just did a bit of research. La-z-boy are in Maidenhead. But that might only be an office, I don’t know. Wikipedia say American with factories in the UK and other places, but not China.

John
But possibly component parts may be outsourced. Like my Alko mower built in Europe with a Chinese petrol engine, a real beaut.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We have two Stressless armchairs and a reclining settee in the lounge, two more on order for the den. Another two aged ones given to a relative recently. They are all different models and various ages up to about 25 years.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
But possibly component parts may be outsourced. Like my Alko mower built in Europe with a Chinese petrol engine, a real beaut.

Is’t that always the case? (Well very nearly)

The only thing I have against Chinese quality for many things is that we should not need to be transporting near everything around the world.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is’t that always the case? (Well very nearly)

The only thing I have against Chinese quality for many things is that we should not need to be transporting near everything around the world.

John
I had dealings with Maesrk some years ago when I was looking at giant container ships offloading at main UK container port and then containers being reloaded onto smaller ships that could take the containers into smaller ports around the coast. There they would be offloaded onto HGVs or trains. The aim was twofold, firstly the company I worked for wanted to build the smaller container "feeder" ships, and secondly it would cut down on road transport. What was surprising is that Maersk told me that it was cheaper to transport a large container from China, than it was to transport it from the UK port and onwards to the customer by road or rail.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I had dealings with Maesrk some years ago when I was looking at giant container ships offloading at main UK container port and then containers being reloaded onto smaller ships that could take the containers into smaller ports around the coast. There they would be offloaded onto HGVs or trains. The aim was twofold, firstly the company I worked for wanted to build the smaller container "feeder" ships, and secondly it would cut down on road transport. What was surprising is that Maersk told me that it was cheaper to transport a large container from China, than it was to transport it from the UK port and onwards to the customer by road or rail.

Amazing, but I have read that container prices have massively shot up recently. More than 4 fold according to this. (No real reason for that example, just number 1 in the search). It must have a knock on affect on retail prices.

(I would normally use a hyperlink but it’s not playing ball today).

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The way industry is organised in China is just like the old Eastern European bloc. I had the pleasure of becoming involved in both and spent a lot of time in both over 30 years or so. Government departments assist start up companies (often leading them by the nose to be precise) providing technology and trading deals which another government department organise, and transport organised by yet another government department is thrown in. Quoting for orders "landed" is common place even now. The shipping costs or road transport costs just disappear by magic. This how Chinese producers can compete in Europe with European producers, and the same in USA. Most European manufacturers import parts made for them in China and still legally certify their end products are of European origin. This why I laugh sometimes when people say they don't like to buy from China but prefer a European car for example.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Probably why the standard of high end marque cars has dropped recently?
What evidence is there for this?Probably not realised that most VW sold in Asia Pacific Region are manufactured in China from parts made in China. Airbus are made in China and contain parts made in that country. They have launched and successfully manned an orbital space station. Etc etc.
Surprising how so many threads morph into an anti China sentiment without any real objectivity.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
They have basically destroyed manufacturing in the West band are now the new colonists in Africa.
India has also become a colonial force, although not anywhere near the same scale as China. One of the most important commodities in any mechanical product is fasteners (nuts and bolts etc) and the world leader by miles is, India and has been for many years. China had been unable to catch up with India on that particular commodity when I retired 2005.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
India has also become a colonial force, although not anywhere near the same scale as China. One of the most important commodities in any mechanical product is fasteners (nuts and bolts etc) and the world leader by miles is, India and has been for many years. China had been unable to catch up with India on that particular commodity when I retired 2005.
My reference was to Africa where they are the new colonists there are that many of them. Plus most African countries seem to be heavily indebted to China and have signed over many mineral contracts. I am not aware of any insurgent of Indians into Africa. Friends of mine would buy old machinery from places in the UK, sort of refurbish it and then sell it to India. Made a couple of millions doing that!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for sharing valuable information about the recliner sofa. I don't know this type of information that it takes too much for deliver to home. And it's a china's product and quality is also not good. I will appreciate you for proving me this information.
As per another post I was relaying what I was told by the sales person.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well I came to a decision back in November when I wasn’t convinced that a full reupholstered job would be suitable. The new chair arrives in mid January so the old one has been dismantled ready for the New Year skip run. I wanted to recycle it’s wooden parts but to be honest the upholstery was fixed so well I really lost the will to remove masses and masses of staples. But on inspection the joints of the fixed frame were still rock solid and defeated my 2.5 kg Roughneck lump hammer. The dogs are much put out as I’m now using one of their IKEA chairs and they are a recliner short too.

1BE66F00-9968-4FB2-9593-AFB5DF796AA6.jpeg

F581A801-6FFF-456B-BE60-84D4ADCEA200.jpeg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts