recovery of car and caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
What Colin refers to about the licence is called an 'O' Licence and you need one to transport goods.

A car or caravan that is not faulty (thus in good working order) will be classed as goods.

When they fail they can then be transported on Breakdown vehicles which again are separately licensed as such.

Some independant contractors are not only garages / recovery operators but also goods operators and their vehicles will be licenced accordingly.

Where you get instances like Colin mentions is through trading agreements and the contractor is required to take on a set amount of work to meet his performance targets and ultimately revenue targets.

RAC and AA , whilst using contractors , do have their own recovery operations but these are specifically design vehciles to meet the business needs.

The CCC scheme with RAC is a trading agreement and the reason why RAC do not provide this level of service other than through the CCC.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Ed ,

re LR Assist , I think you need to dig out the Terms & Conditions booklet you should have been supplied with as this will be your 'bible' for what is covered.

Alternatively check out this link

http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/ownership/about-my-land-rover/servicing-and-maintenance/roadside-assistance.htm
Its on the Landrover official website.
hello roger,

i actually spoke to lr assist and that was the answer i got, they would take it to the secure compond, if necessary.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ed,

I'm in a similar situation to you i.e. Caravan with a Land Rover as tow car plus Land Rover Assistance. As you rightly say the Land Rover assistance terms and conditions only say they will tow caravan to a destination near Land Rover authorised repair centre. I have always used the C.C. Mayday cover as a belt and braces back up "just in case". I've never had to call out Mayday since I first got a Land Rover,(approx 10 years ago) although did call them out a couple of times before that. Never needed the caravan or car towed anywhere as repairs were carried out on site.

I have also called out Land Rover assistance twice for problems that affected the car, when not towing fortunately. Have to say they were very good, arrived promptly and dealt efficiently with trouble.

I would recommend Mayday for peace of mind when towing.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are with the Caravan Club Mayday through Green Flag. Last month we had cause to call them following a breakdown on the M20 in Kent. The car and caravan were recovered back to our home address no problem. And because it took them fifteen minutes longer to reach us than what they said it would they sent us a cheque for

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
We are with the Caravan Club Mayday through Green Flag. Last month we had cause to call them following a breakdown on the M20 in Kent. The car and caravan were recovered back to our home address no problem. And because it took them fifteen minutes longer to reach us than what they said it would they sent us a cheque for

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! ED i am with greenflag my mate called them out after a brakedown in yorkshire going to his holiday lastyear took him and family(4)and van to his site got temp repair to his car got halfway back home (Aberdeen ) brokedown again towed him to Aberdeen great service BUT there is always a BUT you need to watch what plug the breakdown guy plugs the lights of the caravan into if he is towing it as some of them are 24 VOLT systems and it blew all the rear lights and melted the rear cluster

cheers Duggie

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Interesting reading!

I'm with the RAC via C&CC because it has several features that aren't found with lots of other policies - like onward travel, for instance. Should you break down, the RAC will take you, van and 7 passengers to your destination and even to your pitch. They will then arrange to collect your car and get it to a garage.

This is the sort of service I want - the prospect of breaking down en route to my holiday and having to return home is just too much!

Mac

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have never taken out any coverage, neither for the car nor for the caravan. With the money that I've saved over the almost 20 years that I've been caravanning I could easily afford to pay for recovery out of my own pocket.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Colin was this green flag mayday cover?

If it is thanks for the warning, although if a lorry came out to me and did not take me to where I wanted to go [s per their service]I would have been on to green flag there and then,insisting I get the right lorry and service I have pay'd for.....
To true thats what you pay

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would never be without recovery insurance, at the present time Green Flag.

With having just had my 19th tow in , yes NINETEEN, I have certainly been very grateful for the service provided.

The car, a Renault Grand Espace, th eproblems, mainly burnt out primary fuel pumps, but also just refusing to start.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
I would never be without recovery insurance, at the present time Green Flag.

With having just had my 19th tow in , yes NINETEEN, I have certainly been very grateful for the service provided.

The car, a Renault Grand Espace, th eproblems, mainly burnt out primary fuel pumps, but also just refusing to start.
My god man you must be well miffed with your car.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My god man you must be well miffed with your car.
To put it mildly Stepehen.

I would like to get rid of it but having paid out a lot of money for it and the best offer I have had for it being

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That must be a record Damian.

I'm amazed they still cover you. However if they tow / low load you all the way home think of the fuel you have saved!! LOL.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have only once had recourse to require recovery in over 40 years of motoring (that incident was way back in 1975), and never during almost 20 years with a caravan. For the past 10 years we have two cars and our annual total mileage has always been around 20,000. I don't know whether that is typical.

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with damian's car!He is fibbing.

All it is, is he has worked out Its a dam site cheaper to get green flag to tow him where he wants and back home again.And with the money he saves on fuel, he can actually go away even more!

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Went to Swansea from Teignmouth to collect our new van, stayed three days at Caravan Club Site with new van. Car broke down,unable to tow home. Called Caravan Club Green Flag. Collected on last day, Car on recovery vehicle, caravan hooked on the recovery vehicle. Delivered van to our drive and then took the car to my garage of choice, a further twelve miles. No problems. The CC Greenflag Mayday has no restriction on length of van.Call them.

Bill

MJC

May 24, 2006
Visit site
I have Landrover assist that comes withy the car. It is administered by Mondial. You can phone them and add on a caravan - why pay anotehr co for your car and caravan when you have one part of it for free! I have always done this and it seems daft to pay twice over - even after 3 years cover ends with Land Rover assist you can renew with Mondial as before. Whenever I have called LR assist they have been fantastic - it is a Land Rover after all! Cheers Mandy

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello mandy,

thankyou for that, i did speak to lr but they didnt mention i could add the caravan on to the policy, i will be phoning them today, thankyou again. ED

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts