recreating fond caravaning memories

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi All,

We have just bought an Abbey Vogue2 530 2009. This was driven by some hardship in our tent at the hands of the Irish weather. We usually camp with my best friend as our children are all of a similar age. They have their caravan parked up on a seasonal pitch and have not towed it themselves. As a child we had several vans so I have a little experience but that wasn't today or yesterday.....

As this is our first caravan purchase, we spent the last year reading up on the do's and don'ts of caravan buying. Once we decided on a layout, it was just a matter of time in sourcing the best van for the money we had budgeted for. We did go to a few dealers in the Leinster region of Ireland to get a feel for what brands and age of caravans would fit our budget. After a near miss in buying a suspiciously cheap 2006 Sterling ( it was like a damp sponge on the back wall) we upped our budget and travelled the 3 hours to Belfast to buy our new van. She's a Beauty and has been kept extremely well by her last owner (even the satellite dish is stored in its original box despite obviously being used.

Our car to caravan ratio is just under 85% when the van is loaded so I understand good payload is essential.
it is also fitted with a stabilising hitch

I am posting today to get tips from you all with regards to the following:

Towing complications, ie, when being overtaken, roundabouts and making left and right turns.
What to do when your van isn't in use especially the leisure battery
and any other tips you may think would be useful????

Thanking you all in advance.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome JudoGirl, :) good to have you here.

Ask away, probably one question at a time so that you are not inundated with well intentioned replies.

Good folks on here always happy to help out, enjoy your new caravan.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome Miss Judo, , well Roundabout, Take them Wide and Slow, people will cut you up, and never bring a caravan into Dublin, you will leave with a shambles behind you.
When your being overtaken by a huge Polish truck trying to get to Dublin Port , stay way to the left and let them get past. Take lots of time to go o the West is the isle , as I am sure you know.
Enjoy.
Hutch.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Welcome Miss Judo, , well Roundabout, Take them Wide and Slow, people will cut you up, and never bring a caravan into Dublin, you will leave with a shambles behind you.
When your being overtaken by a huge Polish truck trying to get to Dublin Port , stay way to the left and let them get past. Take lots of time to go o the West is the isle , as I am sure you know.
Enjoy.
Hutch.

Hi Judogirl,
I think he's been down the pub again with that reply :unsure: !!

But like Hutch says when approaching a roundabout take it wide depending how big it is , straddle both lanes if it's a smallish one so nothing gets either side of you. As for over taking , or being over took, cars nobother , but when it comes to going past wagons, when you go to overtake keep well over to the right as you will feel a suction passing them and just keep a firm grip on wheel as you go past , nine times out of ten if you look at your mirror they will flash you back in when it's safe to do so.

Left and right turns ; just dont turn as quick as if you were driving just a car, you've got an extra 5 or 6 meters possibly more on the back end !

Storage , some people take their battery out , some don't , (I don't) but just make sure everything is powered down , the radio is switched off at the source button not just clipped off and make sure your TV booster cable is unplugged as these drain the battery even when main switch is off .
Most off all , take your time , relax and you'll enjoy . They are a great thing to have , we love ours and love the freedom it gives us .
Happy caravaning . B)
Craig .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts