Recycling coffee pods

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My elderly Tassimo machine gave up a while back and so I’ve been using ground coffee. One thing that has long bugged me was the waste associated with the used coffee pods; plastic as well as aluminium, so I had not planned to replace the machine. However i have been bought another Tassimo and the family refilled my coffee cupboard. In it they put a couple of Podback collection bags. These are used for holding used pods. When full they can be dropped off at one of 6500 Collect+ points for free delivery to the recycling Center. Morrisons have now joined the scheme so bags can be collected there. Other outlets are planning to do likewise.

So now I can enjoy my morning caffeine shot without feeling guilty about unnecessary waste.

https://www.esmmagazine.com/retail/...th-coffee-pod-recycling-scheme-podback-165606

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Had to look up Tassimo machine on Google and they are not too expensive. At the moment I am using Nescafe Latte sachets. I get 8 in a box for £1.50.
I use one sachet with a teaspoon of Kenco rich coffee and it seems to make a decent coffee. I can only drink one large cup of coffee with caffeine at day for health reasons otherwise I would be making too many calls during the night. :D
My other coffees during the day are Kenso decaffeinated and unsure if you can get decaffeinated coffee for the Tassimo machine?

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
My elderly Tassimo machine gave up a while back and so I’ve been using ground coffee. One thing that has long bugged me was the waste associated with the used coffee pods; plastic as well as aluminium, so I had not planned to replace the machine. However i have been bought another Tassimo and the family refilled my coffee cupboard. In it they put a couple of Podback collection bags. These are used for holding used pods. When full they can be dropped off at one of 6500 Collect+ points for free delivery to the recycling Center. Morrisons have now joined the scheme so bags can be collected there. Other outlets are planning to do likewise.

So now I can enjoy my morning caffeine shot without feeling guilty about unnecessary waste.

https://www.esmmagazine.com/retail/...th-coffee-pod-recycling-scheme-podback-165606
You could look at a reusable pod? Cheaper in the long run I would imagine.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that. I was aware that you could buy refillable pods for other makes of coffee machine but admittedly when I looked quite a long while back none for Tassimo. But at that time there were local volunteers drop off points, but in our area that ceased.

So once I’ve finished my 80 or so new pods I will buy one of the refillable pods.

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for that. I was aware that you could buy refillable pods for other makes of coffee machine but admittedly when I looked quite a long while back none for Tassimo. But at that time there were local volunteers drop off points, but in our area that ceased.

So once I’ve finished my 80 or so new pods I will buy one of the refillable pods.
Just to be clear - I don’t use a pod type machine, so don’t have any experience. I use a hob top percolator or Aeropress.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to be clear - I don’t use a pod type machine, so don’t have any experience. I use a hob top percolator or Aeropress.
Actually I’m getting quite used to the cafetière and it makes a large mug in one go. Could advertise Tassimo +pods+recycle bag on forum market place 😀

Reactions: Tobes
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I came across Podback when we bought some pods on special offer from the Tassimo site and they sent some Podback bags with the order. They were able to be taken to the local Coop for recycling when full (well what they call full) and when I needed more I filled a form in on line and more arrived. The whole thing works very smoothly with a decent selection of shops taking them and in some areas they will collect from you.
The only thing that I think was wrong was when I ordered six more bags, they came in three envelopes with two bags in each and all sellotaped together, when environmentally six in one envelope would have been far better. Not sure either why one firm delivers new envelopes and a different one picks them up.

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The whole issue of recycling can be complex.

In this instance would it be more economical and less wasteful to buy a paper bag of ground coffee rather than manufacture and then have to recycle lots of pods.

It would be interesting to track the 'carbon footprint' of these pods (and other things) from cradle to grave.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Almost certainly true. I would assume the reason why most of us use pods is that it is quick and easy and less messy. The bags do give you more choice which is sadly lacking with Tassimo pads as only Dow Egberts make the pods, despite the various names that they sell them under.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have a coffee machine with gold coloured filter ,two of those pressy down filter things, a Cappacino maker, ,tried numerous different ground coffees but two spoons of Nescafe, Espresso, instant does it for us. And Being reall brave a Camp Coffee. 😯

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'm sorry but recycle or no, our Dolce Gusto coffee machines make superb coffee for our tastes. A bag of coffee , a bag of beans to grind , doesn't come close and while we recycle in every way we possibly can inc the pods, a bit of carbon on those we judge as well worth it. We can't afford a bean to cup machine which may equal it but can't afford one at the mo! So yes it might not be as environmentally friendly as other coffees but we try hard to be so in every other aspect of our lives so feel we can justify it!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry but recycle or no, our Dolce Gusto coffee machines make superb coffee for our tastes. A bag of coffee , a bag of beans to grind , doesn't come close and while we recycle in every way we possibly can inc the pods, a bit of carbon on those we judge as well worth it. We can't afford a bean to cup machine which may equal it but can't afford one at the mo! So yes it might not be as environmentally friendly as other coffees but we try hard to be so in every other aspect of our lives so feel we can justify it!

You can recycle the DG pods too using the Podback scheme. So any pangs of “ carbon” guilt can be assuaged. My day starts early around 0630 or before. A leisurely mug of chaI. Then when my wife comes down I make her a tea, plus one for me too. After showering comes the coffee whilst the dogs are having breakfast. Then it’s caffeine free tea for the remainder of the day.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

We treated ourselves to a bean to cup about 8 years ago and it has given good service. They want £80 per year to service! but I have done my own at a cost of £6 in total. We have had 10,553 cups and 1,752 litres, (the machine keeps the statistics). Our coffee is about £60 per year, so that’s roughly works out at 9 pence per cup including initial purchase price. I hope it keeps going, it is well made.

I agree, the initial outlay is very expensive.

In the caravan we use one of these.

I highly recommend them, but they are limited to espresso or Americano.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We treated ourselves to a bean to cup about 8 years ago and it has given good service. They want £80 per year to service! but I have done my own at a cost of £6 in total. We have had 10,553 cups and 1,752 litres, (the machine keeps the statistics). Our coffee is about £60 per year, so that’s roughly works out at 9 pence per cup including initial purchase price. I hope it keeps going, it is well made.

I agree, the initial outlay is very expensive.

In the caravan we use one of these.

I highly recommend them, but they are limited to espresso or Americano.

John
That’s an interesting take on the trusty cafetière

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That’s an interesting take on the trusty cafetière

If you mean the AeroPress, not quite the same as a cafetière as much finer filtration and it is made under pressure.

I think, a small pod machine would be fine in the caravan, but we can’t afford the worktop space.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Never ceases to amaze how tastes vary. I guess life would be boring if we all liked the same things. :)

I bought my father a Dulce Gusto machine. He liked the cappuccino. I have mine black and hated it.

Can't stand instant either.

We have an espresso machine into which we add pre-ground coffee. We've got just a couple of makes we like.

Recently got hooked on Green Tea.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We bought one of these. Many years ago, water goes in the bottom , coffee in a receplical, milk in the top, put it on the hob, retire 3 meters, and when it finishes gurgling and frothing, two lovely cups of Cappucino coffee. Ideal in the van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts