Red Arrows Olympics Ban

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
The Red Arrows have been dropped from the 2012 London Olympics because they are seen to be "Too British"

Dept of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display as too militaristically British and may be offensive to other countries.

The Red Arrow team are outraged asthey were going to put out a spectacular display.

Brown keeps bleating on about being British, its all spin and no substance

There is a petition on

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012
Edd

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't see what makes the Red Arrows display any more British than the equivalent Thunderbirds Team more American or the Frecce Tricolori Team any more Italian, although personally I can do quite well without them all.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
I don't see what makes the Red Arrows display any more British than the equivalent Thunderbirds Team more American or the Frecce Tricolori Team any more Italian, although personally I can do quite well without them all.
Well,dont sign it then!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Saw them all at this years RIAT !! All brill but no one compares to the Red Arrows !! What an absolute pathetic p.c staement not to have something "too british" at British olympics!!!China will be having there dragons etc etc and so they should,this country is bonkers !!!!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
! no, not too british! too milataristic ! and as the olympics are sopposedly based on friendship and coming togeather of, then that makes blantant good sense.!

cannot see the connection between china using dragons [a culture thing] and the red arrows [a milatary thing!!!!!]

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gio

Spliting hairs a little on this one.

Be it Military or British, what got me to sign up was the bit that it may offend others. The Red Arrows have for a long time been associated with London at Major Sporting, Cultural and Royal Events. So it is both Military and British all rolled into one !!!!

Frank

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
I have heard it all now. This country has really lost the plot all together.

The Red Arrows perform one of the worlds most spectacular air displays. Their aircraft are painted red, they are not in camouflage colours, they do not have the RAF roundels on the wings or fitted with any form of weaponry. They are just jet aircraft which happen to be piloted by some of the most highly trained airmen in the world. How is that too militaristic????The red arrows are renowned the world over and are often seen as ambassadors for Britain at sporting and cultural events the world over.

So just before I move to a country that shows some national pride....Where do I sign!

Rant over

Ewan

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Frank, not saying you do not have a point,but to me anyway its not the be all and end all.

To me the olympics themselves are the important event not whether the red arrows get to perform at the opening or not.

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
I have just checked their website and I stand corrected. They do have small roundels on the fuselage and the words 'Royal Air Force' in small letters beneath the cockpit.

I still stand by my argument though that these aircraft are anything but militaristic. When they do their displays with the red, white and blue smoke trails, they may be called Patriotic, but never militaristic.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
"never millitaristic" correct me if i am wrong but tell me where do these pilots come from? last time i herd they were the best military pilots trained out of RAF cranwell,so hardly civilians and no civilian can be part of the red arrows.

So that makes them military, does it not ?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Lets try to be objective on this one, no need to fall out. You are either for or against!!!! so lets see how many are for, by signing the petition.

Frank

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Put some bombs onboard and when they fly past bomb Downing street and all those that are offended at a British icon, maybe first of all ask for the benefit money back then bomb them.

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
It's all about upsetting other religions, bit like they did with christmas last year, they don't mind upsetting us though, aslong as everyone else is alright.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I saw this petition last week and of course signed. The Government have since responded to the petition saying that it is not true that the Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the London Olympic games in 2012. They go on to say that no arrangements are yet finalised and the final decision will be made by the London 2012 comittee. this can be seen at

http:/ / www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page13332.asp

Regards Steve

May 4, 2005
Visit site
I'm sure the government will step in to make sure it doesn't upset anybody ;O)
27116353872.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Like I said, a number of other countries also have aerobatics teams of similar calibre so I don't understand how anything like the Red Arrows can be described as being too British. Whether it's too militaristic is perhaps debatable, although I wouldn't say it is. I therefore don't see what all the fuss is all about, although following a bad accident a few years ago at a US Air Base where over 100 people were killed, the thought of a possible reoccurrence over a filled Olympic stadium, however small the risk and despite the pilots' unquestionable ability, fills me with horror and that is why I can well do without them.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I have also read the reply they never said it will go ahead, did they???

W*N****

Frank
They're buck passing really.Perhaps the weight of public opinion might sway them but my guess is that when the time comes the Red Arrows will be deployed elswhere.

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
"never millitaristic" correct me if i am wrong but tell me where do these pilots come from? last time i herd they were the best military pilots trained out of RAF cranwell,so hardly civilians and no civilian can be part of the red arrows.

So that makes them military, does it not ?
Yes, they are Military pilots, but the point I was trying to make (perhaps not very clearly) was that the way the aircraft are painted and the use the red arrows are put to is not militaristic.

They are showing off the pilots skill not the lethal potential of the plane.

We will just have to agree to differ. You are right though that the olympics are the main thing and shouldnt be detracted from.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts