red gas / blue gas

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi just read on another thread (the xmas one...blimey only 5 months to go....not looking forward to it myself, I am working my redundancy notice as the company is shutting down 23rd December) any way, I diverse...back to the subject, read that someone said use red gas bottle in winter. As you know we are still relatively new and this has thrown me, we use blue, presumably this is going to freeze...should we therfore be running one of each type? How long can you normally get away with using the blue gas for?

Thanks P&R (",)

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Paul & Ruth,

We use red gas bottles all year round, simply because it's easier than keep swapping them over. You will definately need to use propane if you are going caravanning in the winter, as butane will freeze. Hope this helps!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Wendy, looks like I need to swop a bottle then, I was hoping to use the caravan most of the year, certainly upto Nov and then again in Feb for the half term.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
In any discussion on the relative merits of Propane vs. Butane, people always seem to concentrate on the fact that Butane has a boiling point of 0

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if thats the case lutz well never know when it will boil or when it will freeze????? so it should be called butpropane--or probutane?????

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

In the UK, we have the choice of pure Propane (about 90% pure) or Butane (similar purity).

Commonly the gas used in Holland is LPG, the natural mixture of Propane and Butane, plus other similar gases like iso-Butane.

The critical temperature for pure Propane is around 90

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts