Redundant panel on underbed floor in Elddis/Buccaneer caravans?

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know the purpose of the raised panel under the seats and beds in Elddis and Buccaneer caravans? I've lifted mine (3) and there's nothing under any of them. The panels are mounted on 25mm laths and screwed to the floor with 75mm long screws. I had this in my Buccaneer Corsair, now elsewhere, IMG_20200603_144757 Floor.jpgand my current Elddis Crusader Shamal. Can I remove them completely?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Does anybody know the purpose of the raised panel under the seats and beds in Elddis and Buccaneer caravans? I've lifted mine (3) and there's nothing under any of them. The panels are mounted on 25mm laths and screwed to the floor with 75mm long screws. I had this in my Buccaneer Corsair, now elsewhere, View attachment 384and my current Elddis Crusader Shamal. Can I remove them completely?

Maybe to allow air to circulate into the bedbox - is there a corresponding slot at floor level outside the bedbox?

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
No vents under any of these panels. I removed one on my last caravan and was able to (slightly) increase my storage possibilities. Might try Elddis but don't hold out much hope!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anybody know the purpose of the raised panel under the seats and beds in Elddis and Buccaneer caravans? I've lifted mine (3) and there's nothing under any of them. The panels are mounted on 25mm laths and screwed to the floor with 75mm long screws. I had this in my Buccaneer Corsair, now elsewhere, View attachment 384and my current Elddis Crusader Shamal. Can I remove them completely?
I wonder if they are anything to do with the underfloor heating? Perhaps you need to allow air to circulate to prevent a heat build up?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alanbroke,
My neighbours Buccaneer has Alde heating and there are pipes that run between the caravan floor and underneath the caravan, giving underfloor heating, so thought that was maybe why you have the panels, just checked Elddis website, says Buccaneer have Alde underfloor heating that works in conjunction with rest of Alde system, this is 2020 vans , what year is yours?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if they are anything to do with the underfloor heating? Perhaps you need to allow air to circulate to prevent a heat build up?
The vans got Alde heating so no under floor we
Hi Alanbroke,
My neighbours Buccaneer has Alde heating and there are pipes that run between the caravan floor and underneath the caravan, giving underfloor heating, so thought that was maybe why you have the panels, just checked Elddis website, says Buccaneer have Alde underfloor heating that works in conjunction with rest of Alde system, this is 2020 vans , what year is yours?
My "new" caravan is an Elddis Crusader Shamal 2015. All the Alde heating pipes are above the floor through finned radiators. There's nothing under the floor either. My previous van was a Buccaneer Corsair 2013, and similar construction. Couldn't find anything on the Elddis website. I'll wait a bit before replacing them. I've just bought the van privately.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As an educated guess the purpose of the panels may well relate to the fitting of an Alde wet heating system. The radiators (Finned copper pipe) were often located at the outside edge of the caravan where the floor met the wall. To allow the heated air out the bed/set platform above would have a slot parallel to the wall and a spaced panel behind the seat cushion to allow hot air from the radiator to rise. This would be fine provided there was nothing in the under bed locker as there wold be plenty of unobstructed gaps for the low level cool air to get into the locker. As you load the locker there cool air would be obstructed and the heating system would loose efficiency.

By creating a false floor the cool air could get from the kick board to the radiator, even when the locker was well filled. Why the manufacturer wold leave the false floors in place with other types of heating is a bit of a mystery as its extra cost.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As an educated guess the purpose of the panels may well relate to the fitting of an Alde wet heating system. The radiators (Finned copper pipe) were often located at the outside edge of the caravan where the floor met the wall. To allow the heated air out the bed/set platform above would have a slot parallel to the wall and a spaced panel behind the seat cushion to allow hot air from the radiator to rise. This would be fine provided there was nothing in the under bed locker as there wold be plenty of unobstructed gaps for the low level cool air to get into the locker. As you load the locker there cool air would be obstructed and the heating system would loose efficiency.

By creating a false floor the cool air could get from the kick board to the radiator, even when the locker was well filled. Why the manufacturer wold leave the false floors in place with other types of heating is a bit of a mystery as its extra cost.

That's what I suggested in post #2 but the OP says there's no slot in the panel.

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
That's what I suggested in post #2 but the OP says there's no slot in the panel.
I think you've both cracked it! The panel lines up with the cut out in the front bed/seat panel. In theory air could circulate under the panel. We never had stuff loaded in the locker in our Corsair, just a few items and the heating worked fine with the panel removed.
Many thanks for all the wisdom!
Alan

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Do NOT remove the panel as it is for air circulation. The Buccaneers have underfloor heating and the panel is there for air circulation. If you place stuff in that area and the panel has been removed, the floor may be very hot and cause distortion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts