Refillable Gas Bottle!!

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi all, just bought a Safefill refillable gas bottle today and was impressed at the saving i made when i filled it compared to calor, the refillable bottle holds 15 litres of LPG which equates to 8.6 kg I filled it at Morrisons at Coventry and at 73.9 p per litre it cost £11 08 pence compare that to £20 for 6 kg in the red bottles and you can see that it will not take long to get the initial outlay back especially as the dragon says that we can use it on the gas chimiea as well! (i'd rather be inside this time of year!) I was at a pre Christmas rally one year (not on hook up) when the gas ran out and the only place availlable that time in the evening was a garage forcourt and was stunned to be charged £25 for a 6 kg propane bottle so at these prices i should soon be quids in.

P.S. It was a piece of cake to fill and uses a normal propane regulator.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Sadly we in our bit of rural Hampshire are so short of auto LPG outlets anywhere near and the nearest at 6 miles away, a Shell, will not play ball so we cant join you.
As big gas user we would love to but until the supply issue changes we cant.
To really exploit the convenience benefits we need somewhere we can simply top the bottle so each trip is started with adequate gas; the though of picking up on route with the van in tow is too daunting.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
And there is at Shell in Daventry.Nearest one on Safefill website is Bedford which is best part of 40 miles away plus initial cost of £150 I'll stick to Flogas at £15 a cylinder thanks

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Wth you john o.
No problem filling mine, small independent garage, only too happy to fill it. Cost is slightly higher than Morrison’s, 15lts/8.6kg £13.04
The Calor is for the BBQ.
IMG_2380a.jpg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
These cylinders are ok to fill at the pumps because of the overfill device, i believe you can download a document to present at the filling station.
It does depend on how much gas you use to see if they are worthwhile, if you go on lots of sites without EHU then savings are there to be had.
The big saving is the 6kgs about £8 to refill (11lts) and to exchange £22
I was away for New Year for 5 days and although it wasnt cold i did use approx 4-5 kgs of gas

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The subject of refilling detachable portable gas cylinders has been raised on several occasions. It is clear the availability of filling sites for them is very patchy. Some sites differentiate between detachable portable propane cylinders, and those fitted into cars for motive power.

Whether an Autogas station (or other suppliers) can allow the filling of detachable portable gas cylinders may not be in the hands of the site owner or operator.

A filling station operator has to seek permission for delivering the fuels they sell, and such licences will be controlled by the local planning office.

Also its worth noting that A vendor is not obliged to sell fuel just because they advertise it. In fact if the vendor is unsure about the suitability of a customer or their container they must err on the side of safety and refuse to supply.

Frankly a self printed certificate is unlikely to change a vendors mind about supplying LPG. They would need to seek clarification from impeachable sources.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The best time to fill cylinders is late evening when the single cashier cant be bothered to tell you stop.
Also position your car so it looks like you are filling the car up.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
For users of Ade heating the statement on their website may be worth taking note of

"Autogas is a blend of propane/butane, and the ratio varies greatly
across Europe. Although UK Autogas is mostly propane it also contains
additives that may make it unsuitable for use in the Alde system."
As much as I hate paying my pennies to Calor etc the above does concern me regarding any warranty work etc and if indeed it does cause problems how much would it cost to rectify.

Any thoughts?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think that would be an extremely difficult one to prove,when it goes in leave a calor bottle in the front also what about all the camper vans that have the gaslow converstion they all use autogas and have Alde heating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts