Reflective silver film on caravan window, anyone done that?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
We are off to Spain in mid May and as its 30' there now I am thinking about fitting some of the reflective silver coloured film on the large front windows of my caravan to reduce the solar gain (rather than keeping the blinds drawn)

I have used the privacy stuff on the caravans bedroom windows to great effect. I used the stuff you wet the window and then squeegee rather than self adhesive variety where the glue might affect the window.

So has anyone done what I am thinking about? If so have there been any issues or problems?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thinking about this, Will you be fitting it to the outside of the window, as fitting to the inside will increase the heat between the panels. I was in South of France near Beziers and the temp was about 35c plus windows wide open and fly screens and curtains closed. Thankfully we were under tree shade.
As a final point, I fitted dark privacy film to a land rover windows the type that you were and Squigee on. It was terrible to remove. So be careful.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The film goes onto the inside of the window not the outside, it has a slivered surface that makes it a one way mirror in effect. If it's bright outside and less bright inside you only see a mirror from outside but are able to see out perfectly well. Something like this

As for increasing the heat to a window I cannot see any difference between a reflective film ON the window compared to a silvered blind very CLOSE to it, they will both reflect the UV back onto the window material. I am not that keen on having the blinds closed when sunny, much preferring the ability to see out, hence my thinking of using this film

I am seeking personal experience if anyone has used this film rather than "Ooo I don't think that's a good idea because' type of post.
Thanks

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have no experience, but the idea sounds good to me.

In hot weather, we would shut the silver blinds by about 85% particularly while we were out which was most of the time.

In my opinion, the heat reflected by your foil will go back into the atmosphere.

John

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
No issues or problems with it affecting the window? Was it stick on or the stuff you mist the surface and squeegee as that's what I am thinking of using.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have no idea, but the only thing I know is that stuff like cling film can affect the windows because they are basically soft plastic. Check carefully before applying.
mel

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Yes yes I know!
THATS why I started this thread, to get an answer from someone who has actually used the stuff rather than the "Oooo I wouldn't do that" guesses

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I do know that the stuff you put on with water and Squigee down, is really hard to get off of land rover windows.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Yes yes I know!
THATS why I started this thread, to get an answer from someone who has actually used the stuff rather than the "Oooo I wouldn't do that" guesses
I have used it on actual glass and it works very well. In the absence of experience on plastic windows though you may have to make do with educated guesses. Like most people on here, it was a well meaning attempt to help.
mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......won't you be opening the front windows in high temperatures and full sun?

What we do is open the windows so the plastic doesn't suffer heat damage. Then lower the main blinds to a setting as required but not fully.
Then we fully lower the insect blinds.
We have permanently removed the curtains in favour of just having blinds.
My experience is that in such temperatures, comfort takes precedence over having a view!

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No issues or problems with it affecting the window? Was it stick on or the stuff you mist the surface and squeegee as that's what I am thinking of using.

I used the film that requires water to adhere it to the surface. It was a bathroom window, so not that large. Firstly I washed the window just using plain demin water and a soft cloth to ensure any grit was removed. Then used Vuplex acrylic cleaner and let it then dry thoroughly. Unlike where I have "filmed" car windows I could not go up to the edges of the caravan window because of the profile curvature, so I had to cut a section of film to just cover the flat area, which actually wasn't that flat. Even so the first attempt did not go too well as even with the window shut it had some flexibility compared to a glass car window, and the film buckled. Second attempt was better and it went on satisfactorily, as I used less pressure on the squeegy. In terms of its longevity I cannot say as that caravan was sold within a few months of fitting the film, and it wasn't really exposed to summer sun.

I am not sure how well it would go onto a large front window. Certainly on the large single front window I wouldn't entertain it on the grounds of installing over such large area which does have some curvature and flexibilty. A single piece of film will have a mind of its own. There is also the practicality of removing it when the van is sold, as it may not be attractive to future owners. Two other points come to mind and although these aren't based on experience I will risk a rap on the knuckles. :eek:

1. As you head south to warmer climes having large reflective mirror in your rear view, could require re-orienating the cars mirror. Does that affect other things that you rely on when towing.
2. Similarly towing at night will reflect brake lights and again may necessitate re-orientating the driving mirror.

On hot days here or abroad we managed fine with the caravan blinds/opening the window etc as described by others above.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have no experience, but the idea sounds good to me.

In hot weather, we would shut the silver blinds by about 85% particularly while we were out which was most of the time.

In my opinion, the heat reflected by your foil will go back into the atmosphere.

John
If the window is double glaze with the small gap, I would have thought that the air inside would get heated up more then normal and the expansion may cause the window to delaminate? I am not sure, just guessing.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If the window is double glaze with the small gap, I would have thought that the air inside would get heated up more then normal and the expansion may cause the window to delaminate? I am not sure, just guessing.

Unlike domestic double glazing, the gap is ventilated. So any pressure is released.

John

TRENDING THREADS