reflective strips

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What is the law regarding the sticking of thin chevron reflective strips to the rear of my caravan. I think this could be benificial as I do a lot of night time towing and the majority of caravans do not have the best of rear lights compared with car tail lights.

Comments regarding the legality of this would be very much appreciated

Thanking you in anticipation

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, the stripes you refer to are for use ONLY on the following vehicles:

Where the Vehicle has a gross weight of 7500 kilos and the trailer a weight of 3500 kilos.

Therefore your vehicle and caravan does not fall into either category, and would be misleading , and I would think you would be pulled by the police and made to remove them.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
*note*,,I should have said vehicles with a Gross Weight of 7500 kilos and above, same with trailer weight being 3500 and above.

A further thought is , rather than chevron strips, just use single colour light reflective strips or fit extra side markers.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Your other respondent has pointed out the legality issue, however there is nothing that I am aware of that would prevent you from adding a Red reflective strip to the rear, and white to the front. Many cars have such strips on the rear, and also many lorries can bee seen with a 50mm wide strip of red reflector tape outlining the back of the rig.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

I hope you are still reading replies as I have just come across your Question

The information given so far was correct, however the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations was amended in 1994 no2280 to permit any number of them to be fitted to the rear of any vehicle provided that they conform to the standard dimensions and usual colours of RED/YELLOW it is however covention that the chevron type be used, Alternativly RED only can allso be used to increase visability.

This is an extract from VOSA any other information can be had from www.vosa.gov.uk

Hope this answers your question.

Happy and safe Camping

Jim M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts