Refrigeration

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
If this has been asked before, I apologise, but does a fridge work better on gas or electricity. We struggled last week in temps above 28c using electricity with a new Thetford fridge.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
It does work better on Gas, but in temp over 28 may not get down to what you would expect. Weve never used ours on gass for more than an hour to give it a blast and get the temp down quicker, call me tight...........

Kevin

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Couple of things to establish first.

Did you have an awning up? and was it on the same side as the fridge vents?

The fridges are working close to ther upper limits in teperatures suh as we have been having, and having adequate ventilation is essential

Jul 21, 2006
Visit site
I have often wondered about the practicalities of having the fridge vents in the awning, particularly on very hot days when the tempriture in the awning can rise drastically, Our van a Coachman Amara has its fridge venting into the awning.

I wonder myself whether it would be worth manufacturing some flexible ducting to clip over the fridge vents (the stuff I am thinking about is the 4 inch flexible tubing often used for extractor fan vents) this could be ducted out down from both the upper and lower fridge vents and down out under the caravan, by putting a fan such as an in line extractor fan on the end of the upper vent duct the warmer air from the top vent could be pulled out under the caravan which would then draw cooler air also from under the caravan into the bottmo fridge vent duct, this would sureley have the effect of helping fridges strugging in hot weather.

Obviously there in no way this method could be used with the fridge running on anything other that electric (due to the fridge flue being behind the top vent) but as we always run on electric I am sure it would help.

Any comments ?

Regards

Mark

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Kevin,I will try that next time.

The awning was up but on the other side to the vents, Damian, I even tried taking them off completely.I think too many cans were put in at once.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One answer, at least part answer, is to fit a couple of 12v fans, one top extracting air, other bottom pulling air into the cavity behind the fridge.

There are specific kits available or a couple of PC cooling fans are just as good.

Wire to a switch in a convenient place to control when on or off.

G

We have two 12volt PC silent running cooling fans. One sucks air in from a floor vent at the rear of the fridge and the other is fitted behind the top vent and extracts.

Sucking air from under the caravan prevents hot air from the awning just being recirculated. In Italy where we had 46C plus last year we still had cold beer and wine.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Get a small Compressor freezer and never have a problem again.

I have used a 1.2 cu ft freezer for 10 years specifically for my caravan.

I take it for long stays and it means you can have a frozen food store to make meals easier.

Chilled drinks, ice cream, frozen gateaux no problem.

It can also be used to chill down food before it goes into the refrigerator, helping it out when the ambient temperature is high.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts