Refueling in France

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just back from Spain via France and thought I would report a good way to refuel. Experienced explorers will doubtless know already, but perhaps some newbies may not. this is for them.

There can be up to 15 or 20 euro cents difference per litre between main road or autoroute filling stations and those at supermarkets - the latter being cheaper as in UK. The snag has always been that pay at the kiosk involves a chicane to get to the small office and may well be impossible with a 12m long (or less) outfit. however, most of the major supermarkets le Clerc, Carrefour, Intermarche and others now have 24/24 self service pumps which do not involve this hazard.

You first need to put yur card into the slot provided. Most will then ask you for choice of language En being used for English. Select this option either by pressing the number on the keypad shown against En or touching the screen if no number is shown. Then (and there are variations in the order things happen) you will be asked for PIN and to confirm ( or Verify - press the key marked V) and the card will be accepted. Then the choice of fuel - diesel/gazole or petrol essence - again either by touching the screen if no number appears next to the choice or using the keypad if it does. You will also be asked if your want a recepit (billet) and to press Verify V if you do - always a good idea. At some stage you card will reappear (perhaps by not very much) and you should remove it.

Then, at last, you can take the nozzle from the pump and start of fill. When complete, return the nozzle, replace cap etc. and wait for the recepit to be printed and delivered. This can take some seconds, so don't panic.

The Le Clerc supermarkets seem to have been particularly well laid out in this respect and are often a little cheaper than the others even if in the same town.

I did not see any choce of grade of diesel (unlike Spain, where there is usually a premium grad at about 0.10 euro more than regular.

So look for the 24/24 sign above the pumps as you approach, and remember which side your filler cap is on !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

Al the above is welcome HOWEVER;

when I tried to get fuel out of a fully automated station at Nonacourt (just down from Rouen) on or about 28th Jan it refused me umpteen times until the Chief Fairy noticed a little sign that said "UK Cards not accepted"

If I remember, it was a Le Clerc site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

Al the above is welcome HOWEVER;

when I tried to get fuel out of a fully automated station at Nonacourt (just down from Rouen) on or about 28th Jan it refused me umpteen times until the Chief Fairy noticed a little sign that said "UK Cards not accepted"

If I remember, it was a Le Clerc site.
Hence my reply above!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
... my experience is that some will accept UK cards and some will not.

This is even true at different sites in the same supermarket chain.

This is not to knock the advice of Ray S (Moderator)in any way.

I would emphasise a point he has already made and that is not to remove the nozzle from the pump until told to do so.

The French system is sensitive to removing the nozzle first which will result in no transaction taking place and it appearing your card is not being accepted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Interesting. perhaps significant that all the le Clerc stations I used appeared to be fairly new, as did the Intermarche, so it could be that the newer or recently up dated statioins have newer pumps which have smarter terminals.

Card used was Nationwide credit card. Having now checked some of the statements I see they gave me virtually the quoted daily exchange rate with no charges added. To quote from one of my other cards 'every little helps'

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
I used my card with much trepidation whilst at Intermarche in Saumur 2 years ago and it worked a treat. I chose to use it out-of-hours so that it was nice & quite, (if it all went pear-shaped there was nobody to see me)

However, I needed to fill up for our return journey and this time it didn't want to recognise my card!! I was still on my own so walked across to the next pump and tried that one, - still didn't want to know. I remembered that the third and last one, which was being used when I arrived and was now empty, had been the one that worked for me last time.......I inserted my card and it recognised it straight away, Bingo!!!, moved the car around and filled up. I couldn't have done all that if there had been a queue waiting but I was lucky by picking a quiet time.

There seems to be a bit of a lottery as to which pumps have been upgraded to accept UK cards but it is happening.

Dave.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray

What was the price of diesel in Spain when you left?

Keith
Left March 23 the local Repsol station ordinary diesel was just on 1 euro/litre whereas 'super' diesel was 1.10 / litre.

Quite a variation on the main roads with the autopista and autovias being more expensive by a few euro cents. Have yet to find a supermarket selling fuel in Spain but perhaps the Carrefours may. not one near our route.

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
We had similair experiences where the pump wouldnt recognise the card, and had to even revert to asking anybody who came to fill up, if we could pay them the money whilst they used their cards... And they did!!!

Now would we get that help and support over here? Possibly not.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts