Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hello folks, I have just received the new PET INSURANCE paperwork from C.C.for THE BEARS on reading I came across a section that asks if YOU OR ANYONE LIVING WITH YOU HAS BEEN CAUTIONED.ARRESTED etc.What is the relevance for pet insurance?Does it mean that if you have a motoring offence or have been a bank robber that you pet is more likely to be ill?Surely the very fact that you take out insurance is indicative of how much you care for your pet and are a responsible person.Or am I missing something?

Thursdays Child

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lisa,we are with Caravan Club Pet Insurance and have been for a while. I was looking for a better deal when I noticed this strange query.I could fully understand if it asked if someone had been charged with mistreating animals but otherwise I do not see the relevance.Do you?

Thursdays Child

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I'm with M&S and just got my renewal through last week, I'm going to have a look to see if it asks anything similar.

This sort of thing really annoys me, if you are the policy holder and pay the premiums surely it is between you and the insurance company. Should other household residents be taken into account?

Reading between the lines, if the policy holder or if there is someone in the house who has 'a record' so to speak, it sounds like it's another ploy to push premiums up.

If you have time, would you mind typing the exact questions please so I can see exactly what it says. When I've been to Morrisons I'll read through my policy etc and let you know if my insurance company ask the same thing.

Makes me laugh really, someone I know was banned from keeping dogs for ten years. He left two of his Staffordshire Bull Terriers in cages with no food, only a tiny bit of water, plus a cat and and a collie. All were at deaths door. The RSPCA prosecuted and he got the ban. However, all the time he had been neglecting those dogs, his favourite dog was living with him and his new girlfriend a couple of streets away, well fed and warm and fit.

The new girlfriend was allowed to keep the one dog he looked after and it lives with him and his girlfriend, although he's been banned from keeping pets for ten years. He's not supposed to 'look after it, walk it etc'. What a joke.

I can't type here what I think of him. Those SBT's and collie and cat were dying and all the time he was two streets away. Sick.

Lisa x

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
LMH,FYI!!this is on:-

THE SCHEDULE OF INSURANCE

"Have your, or any person normally living with you,ever been cautioned or convicted for any offence other than a driving offence.or have prosecutions pending". YES/NO

What has this to do with PET INSURANCE? It would imply that if you are even suspected of something it will affect the insurance cover and any one living with you too.What about some poor souls who have been in court for non payment of council tax due to debt issues in the past.Everything is crisis management these days,solve a problem by making everyone pay for all.Also it seems to be a round about way of gathering very private information in a very public arena.SECURITY WHAT SECURITY?

Thursdays Child

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't seem relevent and we all know that private information is bought and sold between companies, but I wonder if it anything to do with unscrupulous breeders or owners of dangerous dogs that perhaps could make claims.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You might be on to something. The reason insurers are legitimately interested in criminal records is that roughly 30% of insurance claims are fraudulent. It seems likely that this hazard is increased when the policyholder already has form.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this will shed any light onto the issues surrounding the disclosure of criminal records and insurance policies.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Parksy,what a bombshell that report is!!I wonder how much of this will affect ALL our insurances ie:-home,car,caravan,well everything really.Whatever is this FREE country of ours coming to?My major concern is the issue relating to "information sharing" that goes on between companies.I feel so so sorry for those people affected by this ludicrous and subversive situation.It is particularly worrying at this time with so many people losing their jobs and homes through debt related issues.How much more can the ordinary people stand to keep themselves and their families secure. I feel another "GOAT GETTING" outbreak coming on!!!!

Thursdays Child

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I met that same question on a domestic house insurance proposal, maybe 30 years ago.

Probably 40 years ago, I read that 40% of the population have been, or will be, convicted of a SERIOUS criminal offence. But then again, DVLA will tell you that letting your car tax disc lapse is a serious offence. Question ... if you let your tax disc lapse (not a driving offence) and pay the "out of court settlement", would you have to declare it?

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I have never trusted Insurance companies,& I always make sure that I answer their questions as correcty as possible BUT I know this seems silly but questions such as car acidents/traffic offences requiring dates ect get me in a panic as like most I do not keep a written record of such things.

Now this one. as far as I can remember I have no such offences or cautions in the last 5 years or even the last 30yrs But how can one check their own past for maybe fogotton minor incident that may affect any claim??? it seems to me one has to have the guile & knowledge of a top Barrister to keep out of any trouble with insurance company's

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
QUOTE:It doesn't seem relevent and we all know that private information is bought and sold between companies, but I wonder if it anything to do with unscrupulous breeders or owners of dangerous dogs that perhaps could make claims. UNQUOTE

-------

Over the years, there have been numerous cases brought to light where unscrupulous breeders have claimed fraudulently.

If an owner has a 'dangerous dog' then it is illegal anyway. DDA 1991.

If you mean a pet dog which might be aggressive towards people, then most policies will ask if it has any aggressive tendancies on the initial application form. The jury's out on that one for me at the moment.

Most decent people insure their pets to lessen the massive vets bills which can arise. Again, it appears the insurance companies will try as hard as they can to wrangle out of paying claims.

Lisa

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

Along similar lines, a few days ago I called in at Citizens Advice to ask a question on behalf of my 97 year old mum. Before they would even listen to the question I had to tell them my name, age, marital status, type of house I live in, number of bedrooms, income and country of birth. What relevance is all that to my mother's question ? And before you ask, no, they didn't want to know these same details for my mother !!!

JohnM

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
To save time and effort why don't we just complete a one off life history on the internet for all to refer to and then the insurance companies etc can choose whose money they want.No forms to fill in.

COMPARE THE CUSTOMER.COM?

Thursdays Child

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I don't know if this will shed any light onto the issues surrounding the disclosure of criminal records and insurance policies.
Thats a real shock , i have never trusted insurance companies any way ,but i printed out that article from the Guardian for future reference

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts