Reliability Of Cars

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I personally think its foolish to assume any item you purchase will accurately reflect on the results of a survey. Even a product that has glowing success in a survey, invariably I get the one example that bucks the trend and has some fault or foible. or works far better than the survey suggests.

Surveys can only be useful as long as the scope/limitations of sample are understood. and as others have pointed out how relevant or revealing the questions are.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate what you are saying and I didn't want to defend the make of my car in my previous post. I just wanted to point out that it doesn't make any sense to lump together all models and all model years of a particular make for the purpose of creating a reliability league table like the one that the OP supplied. That sort of generalisation doesn't tell anybody anything useful.
My earlier remark wasn't aimed at anyone in particular Lutz.
I commented in order to keep forum discussions on an even keel, I don't want any forum member to feel as though they are being targeted for their choice of transport.
I agree that reliability surveys are not much use for the reasons that you stated.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
After eleven years of ownership of Mitsubishi Colt and just passing the MOT she is enjoying another year of motoring, keeping it until he is no longer road worthy so would agree with the list.on FB

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I see my VW only gets 22nd. Audi 21st. Only one problem a blocked drain causing water ingress. Solved by Roger not the VW dealer!
So like Buckman my choice is at the bottom end of the FB survey. Do I care? No. My VW has been brilliant these last three years

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I see my VW only gets 22nd. Audi 21st. Only one problem a blocked drain causing water ingress. Solved by Roger not the VW dealer!
So like Buckman my choice is at the bottom end of the FB survey. Do I care? No. My VW has been brilliant these last three years
Hi Dusty like you my VW gets 22nd in four years + i have had only glow plugs and a cold start sensor and it has been a great towcar so i am not bother about the FB survey

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the survey the difference between the makes is mostly very small and can easily be affected by the odd one off fault. It is apparent that if you look at several surveys over a few years one or two makes do stand out but for the rest their position is pretty fluid making firm conclusions very difficult. What is most apparent is that they all do better than the average caravan.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Apart from my blocked sunroof drain saga, and a couple of recalls, my VW Touareg has been fault-free for 7 years - and just passed its Mot with no faults or advisories, which makes 5 in a row with no faults or advisories - making this the most reliable car I've ever had.

At the other end of the scale, size-wise, my 11-yeat old Citroen C1 (Toyota Aygo clone) also passed its MoT fault/advisory-free, not bad for 104,000 miles - although previous owners had a few issues.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts