Reminiscing - times were good

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO

SURVIVED the

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,

tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma,

our baby cots were covered

with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids

on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets

and when we rode our bikes,

we had no helmets, not to mention,

the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars

with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up

on a warm day was

always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose

and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink

with four friends, from one bottle

and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter

and drank pop with sugar in it,

but we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning

and play all day, as long as we were back

when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts

out of scraps and then ride down the hill,

only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times,

we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's,

X-boxes, no video games at all,

no 99 channels on cable,

no video tape movies, no surround sound,

no mobile phones, no personal computers,

no Internet or Internet chat rooms.....

WE HAD FRIENDS

and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth

and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,

and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls

and although we were told it would happen,

we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house

and knocked on the door or rang the bell,

or just walked in and talked to them!

We had school football and

not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn

to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out

if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced

some of the best risk-takers,

problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion

of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success

and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris - just reading your submission has been a wonderful and memorable tonic. More of this approach to life this country could do with. It is a pity that we cannot turn the clocks back, they might have been harder times just after the war but they were, in my opinion, far more enjoyable. Well done and go to the top of the class (no detention or cane this time, all you will receive is a gold star).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris, as I read your posting the Hovis advert came to mind. I am sure I could hear the music and smell the bread. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris - just reading your submission has been a wonderful and memorable tonic. More of this approach to life this country could do with. It is a pity that we cannot turn the clocks back, they might have been harder times just after the war but they were, in my opinion, far more enjoyable. Well done and go to the top of the class (no detention or cane this time, all you will receive is a gold star).
Looking at this topic again the only down side is that we are giving our age away - before we know it we will be classed as wrinklies and on Zimmer frames

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Can I say I hope I didn't give the impression that this was my work, I was sent it from an American friend. All I did was Anglicise it. The amazing thing about it though is its true. I was raised in a mining village, Clipstone, Notts. for those who know it and my parents never even locked the door when we went out. This isn't nostalgia brought on by the advancing years of senility, its actually the truth. Yes Shiba, we haven't done too bad. I'm not ready for kicking the bucket just yet but I wouldn't want to be a child again in these times. Many a time I had a clip around the ear off my parents or the ruler across the hand at school but I survived. Maybe it stung a little at first but the worse was the humilation you felt in front of the others in class. In these namby pamby times children have no fear of anyone. Why should they, who can harm them. They can call a policeman a pig to his face, what can he do about it, sweet F.A. ⇦ Thats Fanny Adams for the uninformed ;o) O.K. I'm off my soapbox now :OP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can I say I hope I didn't give the impression that this was my work, I was sent it from an American friend. All I did was Anglicise it. The amazing thing about it though is its true. I was raised in a mining village, Clipstone, Notts. for those who know it and my parents never even locked the door when we went out. This isn't nostalgia brought on by the advancing years of senility, its actually the truth. Yes Shiba, we haven't done too bad. I'm not ready for kicking the bucket just yet but I wouldn't want to be a child again in these times. Many a time I had a clip around the ear off my parents or the ruler across the hand at school but I survived. Maybe it stung a little at first but the worse was the humilation you felt in front of the others in class. In these namby pamby times children have no fear of anyone. Why should they, who can harm them. They can call a policeman a pig to his face, what can he do about it, sweet F.A. ⇦ Thats Fanny Adams for the uninformed ;o) O.K. I'm off my soapbox now :OP
Clipstone uh? Not far from Worksop, small world!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The good old days, when on a hot Saturday night all the street sat outside shelling peas for the Sunday dinner. I can remember sheep being herded down our street to go to the cattle market. And ice cream came round on a hand cart and they rang a bell to tell you they had arrived. Bring it all back. It cost less to eat beacause there were no adverts to tell us we would feel better if we paid a fortune for all the friendly bacteria rubbish Fond memories. And I am still here

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carol

My dad was one of 9 children,so when the ice-cream bell rang my grandad said it meant they had sold out !!!!
Hi Tina, poor old dad but with nine of them then yes i would have said the same. The ice cream tasted better though than the sort we get today.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts