Removing Caravan Number Plate

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
We have just changed our towcar and I need to remove the old number plate which is stuck on (very very securely!) with double sided tape. Any suggestions as to remove the old plate without damaging the plastic caravan body please?

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Get a short length of NYLON thread or thin string, wrap each end round both hands and, put the string between your hands, behind the number plate and using a sawing action pull the string along and it will cut through the sticky tabs

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Apart from using brute force with your own fingers, try dental floss using it to saw through the sticky pads.
Clean up the stickies with WD40, an old plastic credit card and cloth.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes,try this one it can also be used to remove most if not all of adhesive residue after the removal of labels etc.
White Spirit (Canadian Turps) or plain simple Turpentine applied from the top of the registration plate will seep down and be absorbed by the tape/adhesive. You will then be able to ease it off using a broad flat paint scraper from the lower edge of the registration plate.
After you have removed the registration plate clean the back of it and the caravan body with Methylated Spirits,that will neutralise the oil in the turps and evaporate leaving a clean grease free surface.
I been there,done that, so this is not guess work; it does work.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi
If the old number plate is fixed so securely, why don't you just stick the new number plate on top of it? It is a solution that I had to use when I last changed the car.
Cheers
Paul

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Use the method suggested in post 1.
I removed mine with a very fine stainless steel wire i have.
Warming the plate up with a hair dryer makes things easier.

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Number plate now removed!! Could not actually saw through with nylon thread, but in the end steady levering away with a wooden spatula slowly peeled the plate off the 3 substantial sticking pads. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts