removing number plate

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, we have just changed our tow car and so need to put a new number plate on the back of the van. The old one is stuck on. How do I get it off whilst causing minimal (zero) damage to the van? Also whats the best stuff with which to stick the new one on? Thanks in advance.

mel

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mel.

It's probably stuck on with double-sided tape/cushion tape.

This is also the best stuff to stick your new plate on with.

You can pick it up at most car accessory shop.

To remove the old plate try forcing a wallpaper scaper up the back of the plate to cut the tape.Remove what's left with 'Stickystuff Remover' available at Wilkinson's,Woolworth's,etc.

Dave

Aug 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mel.

It's probably stuck on with double-sided tape/cushion tape.

This is also the best stuff to stick your new plate on with.

You can pick it up at most car accessory shop.

To remove the old plate try forcing a wallpaper scaper up the back of the plate to cut the tape.Remove what's left with 'Stickystuff Remover' available at Wilkinson's,Woolworth's,etc.

Dave
Try using dental floss! The plate will normally be attached with double sided tape and floss passed behind the plate and then used with a sawing action will cut through this without damaging the caravan or the number plate. Using a scraper runs the risk of scratching the 'van or breaking the plate.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Heat the number plate with a hairdryer or hot air gun to soften the glue on the pads and ease the plate off.

WD40 is good for removing the remaining glue from the van.

Use number plate fixing pads, available from Halfords or similar outlets.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As has been said heat it up with a hair dryer or even hot water

I use strimmer cord like a cheeses cutter wire or packaging plastic tape is also good

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As has been said, heat to take it off, but I use silicone sealer to put them on. Never failed yet, and you've probably got some in your shed.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
I would think twice about forcing something behind it so do what we do for removing mirrors.We use packing tape or strong thin string. You simply put the string either side of the plate and pulldown with a sawing action with both hands , removing the sticke bits left afterwards and no damage.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Mel.

Let's inject a bit of common sense here. As you've changed your tow car you presumably don't need the old plate to be intact; it won't matter if you break it.

"Forcing" was probably the wrong word to use for the action of sliding a scraper up the back of the plate and gently working sideways to split the tape.If you were to cause any mild scratches with the scraper,those that won't polish out will be covered by the new plate!

Whilst splitting the tape with the scraper,you can gently prise the plate away from the panel - it's much quicker and lets face it,how complicated do you want to make it.

Halfords numberplate fixing pads are basically the same as cushion tape which you buy on a roll (with plenty left over for other jobs) but pads work out a lot dearer.

After a lifetime in the motor trade,mechanical and body repairs,you learn that there's an easy way to do things and a hard way.You just make your own choice.

Cheers Mel

Dave

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Many Thanks to all. I'll start with hairdryer and work onto gentle prising.

best wishes

mel

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
well mike , as i have 2 tow cars ,i have to put one plate over the other using electrical ties ,and i dont think the police would be that observant any way ,next time you are on the road look at all the cars who have plates that are covered in dirt and are unreadable , also look at the trailers & caravans with a piece of carboard and a scribbled number on it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts