Removing Number Plate

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi All, Just got a new mondeo and need to change plate on my van. Suggestions on best method to remove stick on plate without damaging the rear end would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pop, try using a hairdryer to warm the plate and pads underneath, then pull plate off.

if pads still stuck to car, heat them with the hairdryer, until they pull away easily.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Folks! Get the idea. I will try just the heating up first,if that doesn't work I will give the cheese cutter a try. I would really like to start from base and not put one plate on top of the other. If all else fails I may have to do that of course.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pop,

Thanks for asking this question - I will soon be in the same situation myself and was wondering how to go about it. I shall go down the hairdrier and cheese cutter route though I suspect using WD40 to remove sticky might leave a slight trace of WD40 which could prevent the new plate from adhering. Trouble is I will want to replace the number plate before moving the 'van from storage. Anyone got a seven and a quarter mile extension cable I can borrow ? ?

To be serious I will print up a temporary paper plate to get the 'van home .

Mike E

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used my flat steel bladed trowel to slide behind the number plate to cut the pads and release the number plate.If you have to remove the traces of pad stuck to the van use nail varnish remover, I found that I could re-position the new pads on the van without having to remove the old traces.

Roy

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Pop,

Thanks for asking this question - I will soon be in the same situation myself and was wondering how to go about it. I shall go down the hairdrier and cheese cutter route though I suspect using WD40 to remove sticky might leave a slight trace of WD40 which could prevent the new plate from adhering. Trouble is I will want to replace the number plate before moving the 'van from storage. Anyone got a seven and a quarter mile extension cable I can borrow ? ?

To be serious I will print up a temporary paper plate to get the 'van home .

Mike E
Mike, My van is about 5 miles away from any 240v electric supply so I like the idea of the temp plate, Thanks!

pop

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
when we took our old plate off to put our reg no on, we pulled gently, just stuck new plate on with double sided carpet tape. Not going to fall off in a hurry we hope, seems to have stuck really well!

Lolly x

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
when we took our old plate off to put our reg no on, we pulled gently, just stuck new plate on with double sided carpet tape. Not going to fall off in a hurry we hope, seems to have stuck really well!

Lolly x
A less damaging option is to use dental floss, it won't scratch and does the job, there are plenty of aftermarket residue removers in the car shops such as halfords etc - good luck !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just hope the villains don't read this site and take up some of the ideas. Could see you being arrested for carrying dental floss as in " going about equipped to steal "

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts