Renault Grand Scenic

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
I'm thinking of acquiring a Renault Grand Scenic 2.0 Dynamique Auto 7 seater.

The specifications list kerbweight of 1530kgs excl driver, which at 85% gives me a van weight of 1300kg to play with. However the max tow weight (driver only) is just 1250kg.

I have a 1998 Bailey Pageant Champagne which has a max laden load guide of 1277kg and we don't overload it.

Can anyone offer advice on whether this would be a suitable match and indeed has anyone towed with a Grand Scenic as I didn't spot any towing on my recent holiday in Devon.

I currently tow with a leased Ford Galaxy 2.3 petrol Auto but have to change soon. Having had two Galaxy's I am looking at other options in the 7 seater range and the Grand Scenic appears heavier than the Zafira.

Any advice would be welcome and thanks in advance

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't forget that the Renault Grand Scenic 2.0 Auto not only has a maximum permissible towload of 1250kg but also a maximum permissible gross train weight of 2950kg. So, if you load the car up to its maximum GVW of 1985kg, you will only be left with a towload of 965kg which probably already is more than the axle load of the caravan when it's unladen.

Alternatively, you could tow the caravan at its max weight of 1277kg but then the car must not weigh more than 1748kg (assuming a noseweight of 75kg)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't forget that the Renault Grand Scenic 2.0 Auto not only has a maximum permissible towload of 1250kg but also a maximum permissible gross train weight of 2950kg. So, if you load the car up to its maximum GVW of 1985kg, you will only be left with a towload of 965kg which probably already is more than the axle load of the caravan when it's unladen.

Alternatively, you could tow the caravan at its max weight of 1277kg but then the car must not weigh more than 1748kg (assuming a noseweight of 75kg)
ps: I may have got that figure for max Gross Train Weight wrong. I have found another source of information which quotes 3000kg and not 2950kg so you should check but the gist of my statement still stands, although things would then be 50kg more favourable for you.

Sep 1, 2005
Visit site
Have you had a good test run in the Scenic? we have a 2 year old one & find the autobox to be one of the worst I've ever driven - & thats solo. It never seems to be able to find the correct gear quickly when you need to overtake & this even applies when driving thru town. I won't be replacing it with another Renault. I would have thought that after driving what is probably one of the best people carriers on the road anything else will be a disappointment!

Col

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the responses

Lutz - hadn't realised the info about Gross Train Weight. What surprises me though, is that on my recent trip to Devon from Manchester I spotted many Citreon Picasso's pulling vans like mine and they would appear to be in the same class as the Grand Scenic.

Colin - Its a few months off before the Galaxy goes so these are early days yet. As such I haven't tested the Scenic yet. I've had a Galaxy for 5 years and it tows a dream, but I'm not sure what lease deal will be available to me so I'm checking out other options. Also the Galaxy drinks a bit and the seats aren't easy to handle. Thought the G Scenic was more flexile like the Zafira.

Thanks again

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Thanks for the responses

Lutz - hadn't realised the info about Gross Train Weight. What surprises me though, is that on my recent trip to Devon from Manchester I spotted many Citreon Picasso's pulling vans like mine and they would appear to be in the same class as the Grand Scenic.

Colin - Its a few months off before the Galaxy goes so these are early days yet. As such I haven't tested the Scenic yet. I've had a Galaxy for 5 years and it tows a dream, but I'm not sure what lease deal will be available to me so I'm checking out other options. Also the Galaxy drinks a bit and the seats aren't easy to handle. Thought the G Scenic was more flexile like the Zafira.

Thanks again
The Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 Auto has a max. towload of 1300kg. Contrary to Renault for the Scenic, the Citroen website makes no mention that the max. gross train weight is less than the sum of the GVW of the car and the max. permissible towload.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you're looking into the Zafira as an alternative (I presume you mean the new model) then, if you want to stick to a petrol and automatic gearbox, the 2.2 would be your choice. On paper it is about 100kg lighter unladen (although these figures vary a lot so such a difference is not really very meaningful) but it has a higher permissible GVW (2285kg) than the Scenic and a higher maximum permissible towload (1500kg) and it is not limited further by any additional gross train weight restriction.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike, I changed my car from the older type Scenic when I came back to caravanning due to the fact that they have a 'reasonable towing limit for a car that size providing you are going on your own. as soon as you add a passenger/co-driver and such your max tow limit drops about 100Kg.

All the best Graham B

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike,

We saw campers with this car, the only gripe was the tow ball.

It is very close to the ground, they had to remove the jockey wheel and drive carefully so they didn't ground out. It did look very low down to the floor and that was without their trailer

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Mike

Have just towed my Bailey ranger 500/5 for 2500 miles around France with our new 1.9 diesel Grand Scenic manual. The Scenic was very stable, cruised along at 65 MPH in 6th gear and returned 32 MPG. Whilst it lacks the pulling power of my previous car (Mondeo TDCi) a big bonus is the huge boot.

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks again for all your replies. I've always towed with a Galaxy so I've never had to worry too much about the technicalities of gross train weight etc. So I still get confused, for after reading comments re the weights that suggest the car is not going to be a good choice, I then get a reply from Andrew who gives the Grand Scenic a lot of praise.

What is the loaded weight of the Bailey ranger 500/5?

Its a good job I've got a couple of months grace before the enforced change of car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts