Renault laguna towing

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone use a 2ltr mk2 renault laguna to tow a caravan whether it be a folding caravan or a tourer, i am interested to see if they perform well as a towcar.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Andrew i had a Laguna 1.9 Diesel up until a few years ago towed a Bailey 460/4 no problems 1158KG towed very well but renault will not give you a kerb weight take yours to a weight bridge and get a right reading then workout what you can tow

hope this helps

Duggie

Jan 6, 2006
Visit site
I had a phase 2 laguna dci as a tow car and wouldn't recommend one as a tow car. I towed an avondale dart with mine, at least I did when it actually worked, I and others found the back end sank very low and front felt very light, even though the nose weight was within limits, also the clutch was a weak point and wasn't up to towing. Despite having a dealer fitted tow bar the car had a habit of blowing the ecu fuse when towing, oddly enough only when I lifted my foot off the throttle. I had the car for about 18 months and I ended up trading it in against a 4x4 as each time we towed the van we came home in a green flag truck.

Taking in to account repair bills and servicing the 4x4 is actually more economical to run and it gets us there and back with no dramas.

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Andrew

I tow with 1995 Laguna 1.9dci - Ace Jubilee Envoy - have towed all over Britain, Scottish Highlands, Cornwall and over to France on numerous occasions - have found it to be a supberb comfortable towcar and plenty of power - will tow all day at French speed limits - and, touch wood, no problems so far.

Previous car was old shape Laguna 1.8 16v - agian towed all over Britain and over to France - again comfortable and smooth but not as much power as the diesel - yes suspension can be a bit soft but correctly loaded never gave any problems - hope this helps.

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Andrew

I tow with 1995 Laguna 1.9dci - Ace Jubilee Envoy - have towed all over Britain, Scottish Highlands, Cornwall and over to France on numerous occasions - have found it to be a supberb comfortable towcar and plenty of power - will tow all day at French speed limits - and, touch wood, no problems so far.

Previous car was old shape Laguna 1.8 16v - agian towed all over Britain and over to France - again comfortable and smooth but not as much power as the diesel - yes suspension can be a bit soft but correctly loaded never gave any problems - hope this helps.
Andrew it is a 2005 not 1995 - too quick on the keys!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

I had an 2002 2.2 dci Laguna estate. Kept it 3 years and regularly towed our Pageant Vendee 1390kgs . I installed some Grayston rear spring supports as the back tended to sag a bit. Performance was fine although 6th gear was rarely used.Good mpg. Got stuck in the mud once when the front wheels lost traction, more my fault than the car.

Ocassionally got hit by National Express coach bow waves, otherwise quite stable.

A good comfy car with no problems. She went back with 96k on the clock and never missed a beat.

I understand older Renaults can suffer from electrical gremlins, but mine was ok. The low profile tyre3s were a nihjtmare, didn't last more than 18k on the front and were expensive, Also they punctured very easily.

Cheers

Dustydog

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I actually tow with a 1998 Laguna 2Ltr 8V petrol estate. It has to cope with towing our Abbey 540se which is actually ot a max gross weight 36Kgs above the cars max tow capacity, so we are always towing at 100% of the tow capability. The car copes very well with this even with 174'000 miles on the clock. It has done 74k plus on the clutch and we get 30K out of the front tyres.

My late father in law had a Laguna 2 which he was very disappointed with. the 1.8 engine was very under powered and he had several electrical issues. Also he found the tow ball height to be to low and often grounded the jockey wheel. His van came well within the tow capacity and was a 87% match for the car.

If you want a credable Laguna tow tug, then I'd go for a pre 2000 estate. 1.9 dci or a 2Ltr petrol. Plenty to choose from and you can pick one up for under

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts