Renault Laguna

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The trouble with nearly all Renaults is their relatively low maximum permissible gross train weight. In the case of the Laguna, if you've got the car fully laden, you'd be left with only 1105kg to 1125kg max. towload, depending on the model (saloon/estate; manual/auto).

However, if you don't put much luggage in the car, it would be a reasonable tug. The weight ratio would not be more than 89% (the most unfavourable combination being the manual saloon) and the ultimate permissible towload is always 1500kg, regardless of model variant.

If you want to pull a 1300kg caravan, you would be left with a payload of around 430kg for the car (again, this varies a bit on the model variant). The 430kg would be everything in addition to a 75kg allowance for the driver (these 75kg are included in the kerbweight).

In short, if you put a lot into the car when towing, the Laguna would not be suitable. If you drive with the car nearly empty, it would be OK.

Jan 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Carol

Have you tried http://www.whattowcar.com

This web site will match up your outfit.

I've been towing with a Laguna for 5 years and found it to be an excellent tow car, but they do tend to be light cars and as a result we have been somewhat limited to our choice of vans.However at 1300kgs you would be within the 100% weight ratio which is the legal limit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm afraid your response is very misleading, M&S&S. 100% weight ratio is NOT the legal limit unless you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997 and you only hold a category B driving licence. The actual legal limit is ALWAYS the manufacturers maximum permissible specification. In the case of the Laguna, these are the figures that I gave in my earlier reply.

Jan 6, 2006
Visit site
Yes Lutz your right.

Several dealerships local to us refuse to sell vans with a mtplm weight above the weight of the towing vehicle despite manufactors max towable weight being far higher.This was the case at 2 of our local dealerships when we purchased our van, hence the reason why I thought that was the legal limit this was the case at 2 of the local dealers.I think it's called "the towsafe program" or something like that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carol

Just picked up your query.

I towed my Pageant Vendee, MTPLM 1398kgs, for four months last year with our April 2002 Laguna Sport Initiale 2.2 dci. I knew at the time I was on the edge. I had to fit spring assistors to the rear. Power wise it was magic and returned 28mpg across the Cornwall hills. However the slightest wind or overtaking coach was most noticeable if at times quite disconcerting. I sold the Laguna last July and bought a new Kia Sorento. The difference is fantastic! Stable , extremely safe , a way below 85% weight ratio, just over 60%. Fuel penalty is not much worse than the Laguna. I can honestly say you don't know the Pageant is on the back. If I were you I'd forget the Laguna and go for safety and relaxed towing.

Good Luck

Alan of Cricklade

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
used to tow with Renaults many years ago, wouldnt tow with one now until they clarify and simplfy their towing limits.

Apr 7, 2005
Visit site
I agree with all the comments. i have just sold a perfectly good Laguna Estate because of the towing weight. Brilliant cars, its the small weight which lets them down. Didnt feel like we could take our stuff with us, we would end up arguing over weight!!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have a 1998 Laguna estate and tow a 20 foot twin axle van (max gross weight 1360Kgs). The gross train weight is close to the car's max. We do load the van a little light so that it tips the scales at 1300Kgs.

Have had no trouble at all with either the ministry of transport vehicle inspectorate or the capability of the car to handle the max gross train weight.

We get close to 30Mpg towing and around 44Mpg solo.

I've been towing all sorts of trailers for over 30years and have used various tow vehicles from an Austin 1100 to a Diahatsu fourtrak. All have performed with reasonable expectation. I regularly tow to the max gross train weight and so long as you load the car and the trailer correctly you will encounter no major problems.

Any person towing any trailer will tell you that thinking ahead and being prepared are the two top tips to hassle free towing.

I have had 14 Renaults of all guises and find the marque suits my needs without hurting the pocket too much.

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There's nothing unclear about Renault's specified towloads, Del. They are just a bit complicated because of an additional relatively conservative restriction on gross train weight that you need to watch. However, so long as you observe this limit, as Steve in Leo obviously does, there's nothing basically wrong with Renaults.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If other manufacturers can give a straight towing limit , then why does Renault have to have different figures for different number of ocupants. I have towed with 3 renaults in the past and have had very little problem, nearly bought a Laguna just after they were 1st introduced until I saw the small print for the towing limit which then was 1000kg.That was despite the sales person giving a higher figure. Had I then gone ahead and bought it I could have invalidated the waranty.

As for ministry checking outfits, quite often they are unsure of limits and work on 85% and a nose weight of 75kg. Was stopped once in the frontera and the chap from the ministry tried to say that I was exceeding the nose weight at 90kg, had to show him the plate on the bar that confirmed the maximum was 112kg.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Where necessary, other manufacturers also specify maximum gross train weights which are less than the sum of the max. GVW and MTPLM of the caravan or trailer. The Vectra 3.0 diesel automatic and the new Zafira 1.8 manual are just two examples.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of the reasons I changed manufactures was simplicity, I am within my nose weight, within my towing limits (no matter how many passengers I have ). We all have our own preferences.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even if you are within your noseweight and towing limits, you also have to be within the max. permitted GVW of the towcar and its allowable front and rear axle loads, too, regardless of any gross train weight restrictions like the ones that Renault specify. As the noseweight is treated as part of the GVW, you may still find that the remaining available payload limits the number of passengers and/or luggage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts