renault scenic

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
hi katey

i have scenic - i think it is in overall terms the best car i have ever had. the dci tows very well, an advantage is the wheel in each corner - good for maneavouring. i felt in touch with the caravan too!

hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What you need to watch out for on any Renault, and that includes the Scenic, is that their maximum permissible gross train weight is less than the sum of the car's GVW and the maximum permissible towload. This means that you can't load the car up fully when towing a caravan close to the towload limit without exceeding the gross train weight.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
To add some figures to Lutz's warning we used to have a 2005 Scenic 1.9 DCi which Renault (and the matching software at the caravan dealers) quoted a 1300kg tow weight for. No problem as our van was MPTLM only 1179kg.

However in the small print the 1300kg tow weight is DRIVER ONLY. If the car was full then the tow weight is only 950kg!!

Be aware and very careful with Renaults, it was an expensive mistake for us having to change a car less than a year after buying it. The tow weight when the car is full is the difference between the top two figures on a car's weight plate.

BTW Zafira 1.9 CDTi (150 hp) models can tow a 1575kg caravan when the car is fully laden.

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
yes all of above is true! i had to replace the towcar too! the dealer (a prominent dealer too) advised 1500 kg, which i knew to be in-correct, i was aware of the 1300kg which only included the driver, but at the time - wasnt aware that the MIRO didnt include gas bottle, battery and spare which are cumualtively about 60 kg. another isuue i had (still have) is noseweight - the scenic is 65 kg (towbar 75 kg). the caravan with no weight other than gas / spare in the locker was 70 kg. i thought i had 300 + kg, which i realized was marginal - but the EHE reduced this to an un-tenable level. at the time i was completly new to caravaning. i noticed other posts today list payload items, i put everything on a spreadsheet from the beginning and still maintain it - although i have 300 kg payload.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
NO - DON'T DO IT!

We had a new 1.9dCi Grand Scenic and it was the most unreliable car I have owned. You name it, it went wrong - airbag system (5 visits to dealers to sort), complete failure of entire ventilation and aircon system, electric parking brake failed, electric mirrors failed, auto wipers failed, glow plugs had to be replaced... the list goes on. The last straw was while towing in France, the engine went into emergency "limp home" mode and we ended up doing 30mph on the autoroute (twice).

This was all within the first 3 years and done under warranty. Also, my brother owned a similar car and had loads of problems too.

They're lovely and comfortable inside but terribly unreliable. I will never ever buy a Renault again.

Also, as mentioned by Lutz, you're quite limited in what you can tow. We worked out that a caravan of MiRO of 1000Kg or under would be within the limits, but certainly nothing heavier than that.

If you want a similar shape car, I would look at any other make except Renault. Kia Carens has lots of supporters and can tow a decent amount, but is a bit plastic-y inside. Good luck!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can onlyecho the warnings regarding Renault cars.

DO NOT DO IT!!!

As I was being towed in for the 23rd time in my Grand Espace, the driver of the tow truck said:

There are only three things wrong with renault, someone designed them, someone built them and someone sold them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts