Renovating A Caravan

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello Everyone

I am a new member and a new, proud, owner of a towing caravan.

Yesterday I purchased a 1980's C.I. Alpine Sprite. I knew it was an old van when I bought it and my plan is to completely renovate it so that I can look forwarwd to many family holidays in it. There appears to be no visible signs of dampness, nor is there any smells, but I would like to change the full look of the van. I am hoping that this is the right forum to point me in the direction of what to do and where to buy the products.

Firstly, I would like to change the interior walls. Am I best to look for the acryllic wallpaper-like interiors that it already has, or is it possible to paint over these with paint and a good undercoat?

Secondly I would like to change the cupboards and cabinets. Can I get a blue peter style sticky-back plastic wooden effect or do I need to purchase new doors and worktops etc?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I live in the Glasgow area so any info on decent places to pick up the required tools for the job is going to be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to talking to you all in more detail.

Regards

Paul

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Paul

Nice to hear from someone who is restoring an old caravan as everyone seems to be buying new/nearly new models.

We recently purchased a 1984 Abbey GT 212 and given its age its in pretty good condition. Bit retro looking compaired to all the others on site but thats what we like about it.

Going back to your questions, we painted the interior walls with some matt emulsion paint and its worked out fine. Silk emulsion may be better though if you have kids as its easier to clean.

We also removed all the doors and once the stuck on trim was removed hubby planed the edges to give them a more rounded look. They were then covered with stick-backed plastic, added new handles and hinges and they look like new.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,

The above advice seems sensible, but I must add some more.

You say you want to "completely renovate it" and that should be fine, but just a note of caution. Even back the days that your caravan was first manufactured, the designers relied on some of the internal fittings like the wardrobe, kitchen and bathroom walls and wooden frames to add and provide some strength to the body.

If you remove any of these frames, do make sure you refit them fully. I have seen the results of a caravan where all the internal fittings were removed, and after only a short while the body started to separate at the seems, and ultimately the caravan collapsed when it was going around a traffic island! Fortunately it was only on a small industrial estate so it didn't make the traffic bullitens.

Best of luck.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Hello Paul,

The above advice seems sensible, but I must add some more.

You say you want to "completely renovate it" and that should be fine, but just a note of caution. Even back the days that your caravan was first manufactured, the designers relied on some of the internal fittings like the wardrobe, kitchen and bathroom walls and wooden frames to add and provide some strength to the body.

If you remove any of these frames, do make sure you refit them fully. I have seen the results of a caravan where all the internal fittings were removed, and after only a short while the body started to separate at the seems, and ultimately the caravan collapsed when it was going around a traffic island! Fortunately it was only on a small industrial estate so it didn't make the traffic bullitens.

Best of luck.
Satin wood oil based paint would probably better for walls and ceiling. Emulsion paints don't adhere to well in damp conditions and it can peel off from the surface.In the winter the inside of your van will probably be cold etc.

Also satin wood is very durable. Make sure whatever paint you use, that you well clean the surface before painting. If you are using sticky backed plastic make sure you don't use it anywhere where there is heat, It will soon shrink and come off, and remember it's flamable too! Good luck with the restoration it's great to see some of the older vans still being used and enjoyed . Many older vans tow well too as they are much lighter, so that's a bonus.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Our first caravan is an 1987 Ace Jubilee Viceroy. I have painted all the wood in a satin cream/white paint and replaced the curly metal handles with plain knobs.The curtains, once velvet horrors, are now a rich red with linings. we love it it looks smart and spacious. pics if you wish can be sent!

good luck with the transformation.

Sheila

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi there. I also bought an older caravan, but be aware that "damp" is not always obvious unless you know what to look for. As a first time buyer I thought that it was in great shape to begin with.

It turned into a bit of a horror story, but it worked out fine in the end.

I created a website for in the hope that it will help others who are in the same situation.

http://www.girvan.f2s.com/

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
don a van before used fablon comes in many forms

alot of people keep vans in period style

used kitchen bathroom paint its damp resitant and wipe clean

f ablon came from b/q beach affect

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi there everyone,

I am just in the process of renovating our caravan... We have a Cotswold Windrush 132.
I have painted all of the original wallpaper with a good bathroom paint, which has anti mold and steam properties in it. It has come up lovely, and is washable. For all the woodwork I have used a cupboard/melamine paint as a primer undercoat and now using an eggshell for the top coat. We have left everything in the van as its all original and in great condition. We will put in new flooring. I imagine it will be vinyl as it will be easy to clean and hard wearing.
I will make new curtains and re-upholster the seating.
Its probably going to take me a while to do this project but with the prospect of many more happy years caravaning and camping.

Anyway, I hope that all you people out there who are thinking of renovating your vans have as much fun as I'm having doing ours!

Happy camping, Jane

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts