Renting a cottage

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A number of people on here have sold their caravans and are now renting AirBnBs or cottages. How does that work in high season as surely the cost must be eye watering? At least with a caravan for a week away during high season it may be around £350- £500, but a cottage seems to run into the +£1000 for a week away.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A number of people on here have sold their caravans and are now renting AirBnBs or cottages. How does that work in high season as surely the cost must be eye watering? At least with a caravan for a week away during high season it may be around £350- £500, but a cottage seems to run into the +£1000 for a week away.
Like when we had caravan we avoid high season. We booked two weeks last September (early) at a nice farm cottage a stately home estate in Northumberland. It cost £1200. Earlier this year we booked two bed static on private land with views to the Llyn Peninsular and coast in North Wales and it cost £400 for the week. We have just returned from a week in North Norfolk having two bed static a short walk from Snettisham RSPB reserve. overlooking a lake and towards the west. It was on private land too. That was a bit more expensive at £600 as it's a sought after location with peace and quiet., and with regular visitors to many of the properties along the road. All of our three most recent bookings were to a very good standard and allowed dogs. The first two had poor mobile signals and no wifi, but not a concern to us, but this most recent one had excellent wifi and mobile.

My grandson uses AirBnB and tends to go for late booking so benefits from reduced prices. But he is very flexible on locations opting more to get away than pick a selected location months ahead. He uses Travelodge for en route stops as they are cheap and take dogs.

Certainly using a caravan regularly is still an affordable and nice way to holiday, but even then prices in high season are higher. But you can't compare caravanning with holidaying in cottages, statics, lodges etc. But with the latter you don't worry about damp, maintenance or of having to have a larger than necessary car. Continental s/c holidays are cheaper than in rip off Britain and countries like Turkey, or Greece are cheaper still with everything included. We are considering whether to take to pooch abroad next year, or just kennel her for two separate 1 week holidays abroad. Much depends on how she does in kennels. Her second taster comes up in early October when we go away to Wales for a couple of nights.

We miss our caravan of that there is no doubt, but we made the right decision so no looking back, and fortunately we have no medical conditions that restrict us. The one time I've been happy to accept a low grade outcome is when my consultant told me my Gleason score was 3+3..fantastic.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
During the high season we use CLs as main sites to expensive and prices were always reasonable at about £25 a night for a fully serviced pitch.

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
We've run a holiday let for 8 years, which we are selling. It's one bedroom for 2 adults. Our highest summer price is £580 pw. Our booking agent takes 24% of that price. We are in Norfolk. In winter the lowest price is £380 pw. Not everyone charge thousands.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We've run a holiday let for 8 years, which we are selling. It's one bedroom for 2 adults. Our highest summer price is £580 pw. Our booking agent takes 24% of that price. We are in Norfolk. In winter the lowest price is £380 pw. Not everyone charge thousands.
Generally in summer we tend to head south as normally a bit warmer south than north. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Generally in summer we tend to head south as normally a bit warmer south than north. LOL! :D
So why quote site prices £350-£500pw in your initial post, then say you use CLs. I’m puzzled as to the purpose of your thread when there’s absolutely no comparison between CL charges and cottage, statics etc. I wouldn’t describe Norfolk as “ north”.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So why quote site prices £350-£500pw in your initial post, then say you use CLs. I’m puzzled as to the purpose of your thread when there’s absolutely no comparison between CL charges and cottage, statics etc. I wouldn’t describe Norfolk as “ north”.
I was not aware that you are not allowed to quote prices on this group? Norfolk is north of where we live and it was a light hearted comment or is that also banned on the group?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts