Renting a cottage

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A number of people on here have sold their caravans and are now renting AirBnBs or cottages. How does that work in high season as surely the cost must be eye watering? At least with a caravan for a week away during high season it may be around £350- £500, but a cottage seems to run into the +£1000 for a week away.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A number of people on here have sold their caravans and are now renting AirBnBs or cottages. How does that work in high season as surely the cost must be eye watering? At least with a caravan for a week away during high season it may be around £350- £500, but a cottage seems to run into the +£1000 for a week away.
Like when we had caravan we avoid high season. We booked two weeks last September (early) at a nice farm cottage a stately home estate in Northumberland. It cost £1200. Earlier this year we booked two bed static on private land with views to the Llyn Peninsular and coast in North Wales and it cost £400 for the week. We have just returned from a week in North Norfolk having two bed static a short walk from Snettisham RSPB reserve. overlooking a lake and towards the west. It was on private land too. That was a bit more expensive at £600 as it's a sought after location with peace and quiet., and with regular visitors to many of the properties along the road. All of our three most recent bookings were to a very good standard and allowed dogs. The first two had poor mobile signals and no wifi, but not a concern to us, but this most recent one had excellent wifi and mobile.

My grandson uses AirBnB and tends to go for late booking so benefits from reduced prices. But he is very flexible on locations opting more to get away than pick a selected location months ahead. He uses Travelodge for en route stops as they are cheap and take dogs.

Certainly using a caravan regularly is still an affordable and nice way to holiday, but even then prices in high season are higher. But you can't compare caravanning with holidaying in cottages, statics, lodges etc. But with the latter you don't worry about damp, maintenance or of having to have a larger than necessary car. Continental s/c holidays are cheaper than in rip off Britain and countries like Turkey, or Greece are cheaper still with everything included. We are considering whether to take to pooch abroad next year, or just kennel her for two separate 1 week holidays abroad. Much depends on how she does in kennels. Her second taster comes up in early October when we go away to Wales for a couple of nights.

We miss our caravan of that there is no doubt, but we made the right decision so no looking back, and fortunately we have no medical conditions that restrict us. The one time I've been happy to accept a low grade outcome is when my consultant told me my Gleason score was 3+3..fantastic.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
During the high season we use CLs as main sites to expensive and prices were always reasonable at about £25 a night for a fully serviced pitch.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We've run a holiday let for 8 years, which we are selling. It's one bedroom for 2 adults. Our highest summer price is £580 pw. Our booking agent takes 24% of that price. We are in Norfolk. In winter the lowest price is £380 pw. Not everyone charge thousands.
Generally in summer we tend to head south as normally a bit warmer south than north. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Generally in summer we tend to head south as normally a bit warmer south than north. LOL! :D
So why quote site prices £350-£500pw in your initial post, then say you use CLs. I’m puzzled as to the purpose of your thread when there’s absolutely no comparison between CL charges and cottage, statics etc. I wouldn’t describe Norfolk as “ north”.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So why quote site prices £350-£500pw in your initial post, then say you use CLs. I’m puzzled as to the purpose of your thread when there’s absolutely no comparison between CL charges and cottage, statics etc. I wouldn’t describe Norfolk as “ north”.
I was not aware that you are not allowed to quote prices on this group? Norfolk is north of where we live and it was a light hearted comment or is that also banned on the group?

• Sad
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was not aware that you are not allowed to quote prices on this group? Norfolk is north of where we live and it was a light hearted comment or is that also banned on the group?
In my post at #2 I gave what was intended to be a useful response to what I thought was a serious question, especially given your comments over recent times, plus the problems of your recent holiday trip. But your subsequent replies leads me to thank that #1 was probably designed to perk up what is a quiet posting day.

Nuff said.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is the average prices charged by commercial or club sites during the high season. As a result we tend to use CLs. My question was genuine and the comparison was actually between a site and a cottage taking into account dogs.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We do both - pays your money and takes your choice.

While we're conscious of costs its not necessarily the only deciding factor. More a question of where and when.

Earlier this year we had some trips around Scotland in the caravan. Roughly a week a trip and nothing farther than Fife or North Berwick. Often we'll go as far as Northumberland but don't enjoy going any further south than that, especially with the caravan.

In October we have three AirBnBs booked in Cornwall - not been there for at least 20 years. Yes, it might be cheaper on a site but I don't want to tow my caravan from Skye to Cornwall - long way to drive, cost of fuel, wear and tear on car etc. where just some of the deciding factors.

Sometimes its also nicer to have a place that's not on wheels and just a little more comfortable and less hassle.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Different types of holidays have different appeal to different people, so it's totally wrong to try and "justify" one type or another, whether just on cost or other criteria.

We like different types.
So we are having a "cheapie" week in Benidorm in March flying from our local airport. About £800 for the 2 of us half board.
Then in April we have an apartment, Via BF's winter sun deal. 28 nights inc ferry for the car, with cabin both ways £2400 I did a price comparison taking the caravan for the same period. The apartment was about £150 more, with more space, better facilities and not having to tow the caravan the depth of Spain/Portugal (Inc increased fuel cost and time)
Then August a 3 week cruise to Iceland and Norway (been saving up for that for a few years, Mrs P has a significant milestone birthday)

We wll probably take the caravan to France in June/July. Pricing up the difference in campsite cost in the UK compared to France (ACSI of course) 3 or 4 weeks in France works out around the same amount as staying in the UK. The lower French campsite fees over a month equate pretty much to the cost of the ferry (Poole-Cherbourg with club Voyage discount) So why would I stay in the gloomy (and probably wet) UK?

The one thing we really enjoy ababout the caravan is that we can be totally flexible. If the weather or campsite are not what we want then we can move. We can also eat what we want, when we want.

So all sorts of different holiday types, but all very enjoyable in their own peculiar, etc very different ways. Both being around 70 our attitude is now do what you want whilst you still can, as medical "issues" prevent an awful lot of People, including forum members, from doing that.
Both our children are doing exceptionally well for themselves so have both instructed us to "Spend what you've got and enjoy it as we don't need/aren't looking for, any sort of inheritance. And DONT let the taxman/care home have it!"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its all matter of personal taste. I can't imagine there are many people who would deliberately choose a holiday they can't afford so price will be a factor for most, But even those who may own a caravan, may on occasions look for alternative accommodation to suit th e needs of the break they are taking. It doesn't have to be black or white choice.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Its all matter of personal taste. I can't imagine there are many people who would deliberately choose a holiday they can't afford so price will be a factor for most, But even those who may own a caravan, may on occasions look for alternative accommodation to suit th e needs of the break they are taking. It doesn't have to be black or white choice.
When we had a caravan we also took other holidays too. After all only the Dutch take caravans to the border between Turkey and Iraq. And we didn’t see any caravans in Bhutan but camping was popular.

SDC10349.jpeg
Bhutan 2 Nov 2015, 10-41 5 Nov 2015, 10-38.jpeg

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I've yet to stay on a large commercial or CAMC site, the thought of them doesn't appeal to me, the cost of them appeals even less. I'm happy with CL's at £20-£25 per night. I've often wondered why they don't charge more on bank holidays or in high season, but I'm not complaining about it.
£140-£175 for a week is a bargain as far as I'm concerned. The advantages of my own caravan are that I know the standard of accommodation I'm getting, I know I'll have everything I need (mostly) and I don't need to worry about my puppy making a mess or damaging someone else's property.
Of course there are disadvantages, I have to clean it (inside and out), do the repairs and maintenance, 'pitch up' and pack away on arrival and departure and use double the amount of fuel I'd use to get to the same place without it, but for me, the benefits far outweigh disadvantages.
I started caravanning a little over a year ago and I'm really enjoying it. Heading out for my 6th jolly this year very soon, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze another in before the end of the year. Mrs Beardy even suggested that we spend Christmas away in it.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts