Renting a cottage

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are lots of variables though. Not everyone pays £30,000 for their caravan. I've met people who picked one up for a little over £1,000 then 'did it up' themselves. They take their kids away for a week for a couple of hundred quid, and most likely will get most of their £1,000 back when and if they decide to sell.
My question did not relate to the cost of a caravan, but rather the difference between using a caravan and renting a cottage.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
All this talk about renting has got us thinking about next year. So we have booked a nice static three bed for mid June 2025 on a working farm five miles from Ulverston in the South Lakes. An area we lived in and enjoyed for 2 1/2 years. The USP being it is only five minutes walk from The White Hart pub. Deposit only £9.99 balance 6-8 weeks before arrival.
Hi clive can you send me more details through a pm could be very interested ourselves thanks

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
There are lots of variables though. Not everyone pays £30,000 for their caravan. I've met people who picked one up for a little over £1,000 then 'did it up' themselves. They take their kids away for a week for a couple of hundred quid, and most likely will get most of their £1,000 back when and if they decide to sell.
Got to agree with that , our van cost £7500 in 2018 and is probably worth more now and with the way things are going it is as much as I would want to lose. Also it was cheap enough to leave on the drive if we decide on other types of holiday
At £30 000 plus I would be scared to take it on the road and the OH would have to knit it a pullover:)

Reactions: volts and Beardy
Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Those who got rid of the van will have done so for health or simply CBA tugging any more not because the alternatives are cheaper

A different view:

We are still undecided about caravanning and looking to get into it..As i see it the financial aspect from Self Catering isn't as wide as it might have been (heck may be even equal) all things added into a spreadsheet.

The biggest attraction to tugging is the ITS YOURS aspect.

Self Catering well you pay for the convenience (bedding etc etc)

But still the caravan life calls me because its "yours"

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To us caravanning gave us a lot more choice over the area we wished to visit. Being members of both Clubs there were the main sites and CL/CS plus the commercial sites too. So homing in on a location here or abroad wasn’t too difficult. Also our caravan was a part of our home and as such we could be totally relaxed about our living choices, and they did no have to change irrespective of where we went.
The various caravans provided us with many happy memories over many years of touring.

Go for it and enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts