renualt laguna 97 to 99

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Wayne.

We have a 1998 Laguna 2 Ltr RT 8 valve estate which we use to tow a twenty foot twin axle van weighing in at 1365Kgs max gross weight.

Our Laguna is rated to tow 1400Kgs so as you can imagine I was some what concerned about towing at 100% of the cars capacity, but my fears were premature. It tow very well indeed and is more than capable of tackling hills even 1 in 5. Being the 8 valve model, it has more low down torque than the 16 valve model. The 16 valve does need to be kept above 3000Rpm in the gears to gain max benifit.

I've found that by using the air con you get both fans kicking in earlier on the radiator which does help and anyway let's face it most of us are sun lovers anyway. Other than that our car tows perfectly fine and we don't suffer any undue increase in water temp or oil and the clutch seems to run as normal and give full grip without slipping.

Fuel economy is good too. We went to Illcaston (Derbyshire) from Leominster (Herefordshire) and back on saturday to collect the same car but in automatic format for my father-in-law, which again is going to be used for caravanning. Even doing a steady 90Mph going up (80% motorway), and on the way back I did go to 125Mph a few times so he could try the auto to the limit, we done the whole trip on

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi Wayne.

We have a 1998 Laguna 2 Ltr RT 8 valve estate which we use to tow a twenty foot twin axle van weighing in at 1365Kgs max gross weight.

Our Laguna is rated to tow 1400Kgs so as you can imagine I was some what concerned about towing at 100% of the cars capacity, but my fears were premature. It tow very well indeed and is more than capable of tackling hills even 1 in 5. Being the 8 valve model, it has more low down torque than the 16 valve model. The 16 valve does need to be kept above 3000Rpm in the gears to gain max benifit.

I've found that by using the air con you get both fans kicking in earlier on the radiator which does help and anyway let's face it most of us are sun lovers anyway. Other than that our car tows perfectly fine and we don't suffer any undue increase in water temp or oil and the clutch seems to run as normal and give full grip without slipping.

Fuel economy is good too. We went to Illcaston (Derbyshire) from Leominster (Herefordshire) and back on saturday to collect the same car but in automatic format for my father-in-law, which again is going to be used for caravanning. Even doing a steady 90Mph going up (80% motorway), and on the way back I did go to 125Mph a few times so he could try the auto to the limit, we done the whole trip on

Feb 24, 2007
Visit site
thanks its going to be my first time towing with this car on friday so i,m hoping it will do well its a manual box on this one hatchback 2.0 rt..

wayne
Hi i had an x-reg 2.0ltr laguna monaco, i towed my folding camper with it on many occasions , absolutly brilliant car to tow with ... i have moved on a bit, now got a laguna 2 3lt V6 sports tourer , and a big wooden box behind it ... this tows superb also , a lot of people slate them but i have no problem whatsoever .

Harry

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Easy Tiger.

I don't condone speed and certainly would not do that as a norm. However as ROSPA cat A trained driver (police high speed standard) I have been trained to be much more alert to both my actions and those of others.

125Mph for me is a sunday drive in the country. On a race circuit I have taken an Aston Martin DB9R way past 200Mph and that's when your cheecks begin to twitch.

On our motorways there is a more significant problem than speed.

It is bad driving by people who fail to use the nearside lane at all and stay in other lanes as they are going fast at 60Mph.

Lorries who just have to try to get that extra 2Mph out of a governed engine even if it takes 5 miles to pass.

Drivers who plainly just do not look or ignore the fact that you are closing in significantly faster behind and still pull out anyway.

Finally tail gaters who think it is clever to ride 2Mtrs off your bumper just to say they want to pass. To react to that even a formula 1 driver would not cope and their reaction times are measured in millie seconds.

Steve.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Don't want to be picky but your accurate assesment of the daft things people do is precisely the reason why 125Mph is not a sunday drive in the country. I don't question your ability for one second but we can't have one rule for one and different for another.

Stay Safe

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If someone wants to do those speeds on a track or a disused runway, then fine. But never on a public road.

Doing 125mph on a motorway would lead to a ban of up to 12 months (depends I think on whether it is deemed to be reckless or not ...) Unless you're a police driver doing 148mph on the M54 to test the car of course!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Wow, that's some DB9R, they can't even do that at LeMans.

They struggle to get past 195MPH running minimal downforce, about 198mph to 200mph is about it at full chatt even on Mulsanne.

I think you were misreading the Rev counter Steve ;-)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Nope, I wasn't reading the rev counter Cris.

The car was running nitro methenol fuel mix. AML wanted to test an engine to it's absolute limit. 20% of the methenol mixed with petrol gave that result.

The Le mans cars are built for endurance and as such a reserve operformance is held back for the sake of longevity.

Mike, your quite right only a "policeman honing his skills" can get away with it. I rarely go above 90Mph on the motorway as it's notthe speed that causes accidents, it's the diabolical standard of driving in the UK that does. For a start off, who in their right mind would allow a driver to pass their test without any training or formal assessment on their ability to drive in motorway conditions.

As a ROSPA cat "A" driver I have been extensively trained to assess the risks at all times and while breaking any law is not acceptable, doing so with full knowledge of both the legal implications and the moral ramifications may be understood in certain situations. For example I only took my vehicle upto 125Mph when I could clearly see no vehicles in the outside lane for a mile ahead of me and even when one did pull out I was able to decelerate without using brakes to his 80Mph.

Both the advanced motorist's institute and ROSPA teach first andforemost "Driver safety awareness" and secondly how to control a vehicle in extreme circumstance, which not only covers high speed but also skid control and adverse braking etc. For instance how many time do you see people just stand on the brakes and lock up the wheels (why was ABS invented? to cure that stupidity), I have been taught to not only use the brakes but to use the gearbox to decelerate which gives approx 40% added braking when done right.

Finally as part of anti-attack training I've been trained on how to change direction rapidly "J turns and hand brake turns etc" at all speeds.

As you might of guessed I enjoy my driving and rarely see it as a chore. Being at one with my car and understanding how it performs brings the fun factor back to motoring.

Steve.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

AML ?????

DB9R hits it fastest top speed at LeMans I understand due to the track !

20% Methanol mix , I think not ! "It is difficult to mix petrol and methanol unless a co-solvent such as tertiary-butyl alcohol is used. This mixture produces approximately 40% less energy than petrol. Furthermore, the mixture is hygroscopic. When the water content reaches about 0.5% the two layers separate leaving a layer of petrol on top of a water / alcohol mixture".

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

AML ?????

DB9R hits it fastest top speed at LeMans I understand due to the track !

20% Methanol mix , I think not ! "It is difficult to mix petrol and methanol unless a co-solvent such as tertiary-butyl alcohol is used. This mixture produces approximately 40% less energy than petrol. Furthermore, the mixture is hygroscopic. When the water content reaches about 0.5% the two layers separate leaving a layer of petrol on top of a water / alcohol mixture".
Steve, I think its deplorable that you make comments (Boast) about you stupid driving techniques. As a police officer (if you really are one - just wear the uniform hey!)i hope the next time you stop someone for speeding and they give you a load of bulls..t you compare notes and let the poor sole off. A creit to the police force you are not. If as your title suggest you come from Leominster - what a credit West Mercia Constabulary do in training 'fast safe drivers'. 2 officers from this force (if I'm not mistaken) have admitted to driving at these speeds while homing in on their skill!! I hope one of your superiors is reading this. One rule for one another rule for you guys.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
steve, your comparison of hgv,s with road speed governors fitted and your own reckless driving is no match.these vehicles travelling at 56 mph are not potental time bombs waiting to hit something .they are driving to the law.by being trained by a recognised body doesnt make you a perfect driver.i cant see what benifit you,d get taking it to 125 to check the transmission.please help me how do you get 30mpg out of a 2l petrol when towing and at that wieght.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I don't think that's out of the question. I used to get 24mpg towing a 1500 kilo twin axle with a Saab 900 and I've got heavy feet.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Its been a long time since I've had that Saab but it used to give around 28 or so mpg day to day. Having a caravan on the back didn't make a vast amount of difference. Similarly the car I have now (4ltr jeep) returns 14mpg regardless of how you drive, even with a 2 tonne Hobby on the back. Ona different note, years ago I had a 385bhp Sapphire Cosworth which gave 7 mpg on a good run.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve.

I am absolutely aghast that you even consider exceeding the speed limit. There is absolutely no due cause or reason for a member of the public under any circumstances to take it upon them selves to knowingly exceed the speed limit.

If as you claim you are RosPA trained Cat A driver, then you will know even better how silly it is and illegal. Following a similar thread I questioned the IAM, if it was ever suggested as part of the IAM training that speeding was acceptable. The answer was an emphatic NO.

I assume RosPA would expound the same view. Otherwise that is tantamount to authorised anarchy.

Most of us know stretches of road where the speed limit is set at what seems an unreasonably low level, but that does not in any way or under any circumstance give you or any one else the right to deliberately speed especially by such a margin.

The holding of a Rospa or IAM certification should not be used to justify speeding, in fact it is a breach of that training and it brings both institutes into disrepute.

I think your actions represent a serious error of judgment, for which there is no legitimate mitigation.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Having done both IAM car and bike tests and refresher courses and repeat tests each time acceptable reasons have been given for exceeding the limit by serving Police officers!

During an IAM motorcycle test I've had occasion to exceed the 60MPH limit on and A road and was praised by the following examiner who was the serving head of counties police bike section.

I also know of conflicting advice given between IAM instructers and examiners in different areas.

The advice given does not condone out and out speeding but does give pointers re using speed and breaking the limit as a safety factor in certain conditions and is also something police drivers do many times in their job.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It's good to hear from someone on the same page as me Cris.

I don't condone speed at all and as your aware both IAM and ROSPA first and foremost train drivers/riders to be far more safety aware than most.

Yes I love driving a car at speed but only in the right conditions. Should I do so and get caught on the highway then I for one would not tender any of the pathetic excuses you hear of like, "oh I must of been reading the rev counter" as that just compounds matters and demonstrates incompetence.

Putting you hand up and admitting fault has in the past got me just a rollocking.

John you are right in as much as both IAM and ROSPA do frown upon irresponsible use of speed. But done in the right place and with full assessment of the risk's firstly to others and then yourself, speed can be appropriate.

Those people who just put the hammer down to see what the average car will do without thought to others and drive down the motorway with headlights blazing just to pursuade others to get out of the way are the idiots. I've lost count of how many times I see cars tail gateing each other and then the prat in front playing disco on his brake lights at 80Mph.

May be if I took you on a track day at Aston Martin's (AML)test track, then you could appreciate real speed in the right place. I would suggest you bring a change of clothes though. Speed does get the un-initiated quite excited!!

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cris and Steve,

If what you say is true, then there are clearly dual standards in force.

Please quote what are the "acceptable" reasons for speeding by the general public (i.e. travelling faster that the legal speed limit in force on any given public road).

I intend to place these circumstances to both Rospa and the IAM and request a considered answer from them.

Their answers will make interesting reading.

I believe there is no acceptable or legitimate reason for any member of the public to knowing or continually exceed a speed limit - even less so for IAM or Rospa driver.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
John I find your comment - "If what you say is true" quite offensive and feel you should read my post more carefully. I have no experience of Rospa only IAM and have not suggested that they condone driving at 85mph or 90mph.

But during training and talks by instructers at IAM meetings and at briefings I have been picked up for not exceeding speeed limits on out of town roads as have many others.

This does seem quite alien and with instructers and examiners often being ex or serving police instructers the instructions are often questioned at briefings and talks.

It comes down to safety, and no matter how good a driver you are and how well you interpret the safety of the road ahead and execute a manouvre you can never ever fully cover what other drivers do or what might happen on the road.

Scenarios given range from caravan and trailers going into a weave as you are passing or a driver pulling out not realising you are overtaking him.

To maintain the speed limit and get hit would be fool hardy and the height of stupidity, as happened to me on a motorcycle IAM test a vehicle pulled into the road on the otherside without looking to the left. If I had not accelerated I could have compromised my safety and other drivers more by not exceeding the limit. At the end of the test I was commended for my expertise and quick safe action.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cris,

We have been here before.

Please consider the situation in this forum. For various reasons few if any of us actually give our full names and addresses, so none of the statements made here are actually corroborated or traceable.

I therefore do not know if you do have an IAM certificate, or if your statements about your experience are fact or fiction. Equally you do not know who I am, or what qualifications, experience or authority I have.

It is only by reading postings and comparing the information to what we know from traceable sources that we can gain an 'impression' of the authors honesty and thus apply credence to postings.

I therefore do not know if you genuinely have IAM certification.

I will state now that I do not have IAM or ROSPA, but I do have experience, and that tells me that what you and Steve describe regarding deliberate speeding does not make sense in the context of the published aims of both the IAM or ROSPA.

From my enquiries with the IAM following your own postings about excessively breaking the speed limit, I was told that under no circumstances is speeding authorised or suggested by the IAM. How am I to reconcile the two opposing views? I have to err on the side that is compliant with the law, and thus the alternative which breaks the law must be considered suspect.

I am seeking clarity so that other readers will not find themselves in a situation where information gleaned from this site is in fact erroneous.

As I stated previously, I will put your "circumstances" to both the IAM and Rospa and see if they agree with your contention that speeding can be deemed acceptable.

Subject to their approval I will post their replies for all to see. However regardless of their position in all of this I continue to believe that deliberate speeding by members of the public is never acceptable.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
John again your post is quite offensive, what I post on a serious subject such as this is fact as I know it.

IAM car test I did many years ago through my work as we were encouraged as comapany drivers to take advanced training.

My main interest for road use are my motor bikes and a few years ago when I bought a new BMW I took a leaflet from the dealers and decided to to do the IAM Course. Wey Valley were my nearest group and I was Wey rider for a long time until business got in the way.

Ripley Village hall just off the A3 is the venue. My first test was conducted by the head of Surrey Constabularies bike division. His usual meeting point for pre exam briefing was the side of the forecourt of Guildford Fire Station on ByPass Road. The route for the exam included the Epsom Road out of Guildford to Effingham and a sharp right turn at the lights into the narrow access because of the buildings close to the road at Effingham and on the narrow country road that crosses Ranmore Common Road and down to the Guildford Road that leads past Micheal Jordan Caravans at Gomshall and continues past the Silent Pool on the short dual carriageway before the twisty climb to Newlands Corner and back to the guys home at Guildford just off Boxgrove road. My Police examiner entertained me to coffee and gave the debriefing of the ride and then his reccomendations and the result of the exam. When I did refresher tests the route was similar but varied depending on the examiner.

You can find Wey Valley Group on the net but not the route details, I've no doubt that if you call them somebody will confirm what I say is fact. At the time of my first test the Police examiner also borrowed his bike from one of the organisers for tests as he only had a "work" bike at the time and conducted the test with insulation tape over his Police logo's on jacket and helmet. It was still obvious that he was a Police rider and frightened a few motorists during the test!

The test is held by the examinig observer following you and then deducting points from a starting point of a 100, if he deducts to many points you fail and they are very strict on everything from speed , to positioning and how you react to traffic and the road ahead.

You posted John

"Following a similar thread I questioned the IAM, if it was ever suggested as part of the IAM training that speeding was acceptable. The answer was an emphatic NO."

I have not posted that the IAM condone speeding along highways at over the limit. But having attended many many monthly meetings and observations I can assure you that in observation debriefings we were taught that there are acceptable times when you "SHOULD" break the speed limit as it can be more dangerous not to do so. I was unfortunate to have such an incident during my first test and had to axceed the limit.

That is not a suggestion that IAM say you should blat along mile after mile at over 70mph but is different from you foolhardy cooment that there are never any circumstances when you should not go over the limit.

What you are saying is and expect Rospa and IAM to say that given a scenario where yours and maybe other road users safety is compromised by others foolhardy action that you should die or cause an accident by not using acceleration to avoid a catastrophy. That is the height of stupidity and suggests that you are so stubborn that you would cause an accident rather than read the road and situation you are in and take the correct and sensible action.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi boys a nice ding dong ur having keep it up gives us all something to read @2am in the morning

from my point of view having no formal training but 42 years on the road driving everthing from motorcycles to hgv's without so much as a dent or a ticket.

I can say speed does not kill by its self its the driver that kills ask the hampster hammond he knows (about blowouts)

road conditions, mechanical failures, inexperience ect cause accidents not speed.

in the right hands a veihcle doing 90mph is safer than a learner doing 30mph for instance

why are cars, bikes ect made capable of doing 2oo mph when the limit is 70mph not built for racing are they

how many times have you been in the middle lane of a motor way passing hgv's at 80ish and been passed by white van man in a sprinter doing a ton far too many

chris is right trained for and capable of there's not a problem.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi boys a nice ding dong ur having keep it up gives us all something to read @2am in the morning

from my point of view having no formal training but 42 years on the road driving everthing from motorcycles to hgv's without so much as a dent or a ticket.

I can say speed does not kill by its self its the driver that kills ask the hampster hammond he knows (about blowouts)

road conditions, mechanical failures, inexperience ect cause accidents not speed.

in the right hands a veihcle doing 90mph is safer than a learner doing 30mph for instance

why are cars, bikes ect made capable of doing 2oo mph when the limit is 70mph not built for racing are they

how many times have you been in the middle lane of a motor way passing hgv's at 80ish and been passed by white van man in a sprinter doing a ton far too many

chris is right trained for and capable of there's not a problem.
just watch out for gattsos

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts