Repairing damp when wallboard obsolete

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
We have a much loved Coachman Amara 2006 that we’ve had for 9 years. It’s been cosseted, adapted and greatly enjoyed. Pre pandemic we got it serviced regularly but we didn’t use it for the past three years because of Covid and then my husband’s ill health. Sadly when we got it serviced recently it has one small strip of damp (60/40/20) along one of the front awning rails. After much debate we’ve decided to get it repaired - we are both in our 70s and don’t expect to caravan for too many more years but don’t want to give up yet, and it’s just not worth changing vans as this one is perfect for our needs. So the issue is that the wallboard for the Coachman is no longer available and so we are going to have to get it patched with something different. My question is, could we wallpaper the inside with any vinyl wallpaper after the repair is done to make it all match? (I’d be perfectly happy with an odd patch myself if the damp is sorted but the van is my OH’s pride and joy.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
A friend had the same issue with a (very!) damp Elddis, what he did was to replace a bit more wall board than needed so the new bit ended at a cupboard so the mis-match wasn’t obvious.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder if the breakers like SFM do keep some wallboard which may match, possibly worth a try if you could fit it.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think getting a near match with a wallboard is likely to provide a more satisfactory completion rather than applying a vinyl which would be difficult to fit around fixed furniture and widow reveals etc. At least when you do come to sell the van you will have the receipt and the visible evidence of the professional repair. Personally if inspecting a used van I would prefer this to a cover-up job!

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS