Repeat prescriptions

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just a heads up for you guys. If any off you are within the realms of repeat prescriptions and you run out or are otherwise in need whilst away, you can contact your own doctor and have the prescription sent electronically to the nearest chemist to your current location.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Good point Thingy, we had to do similar, we were away in Hutton le hole, Yorkshire, the boss forgot one of her inhalers, thankfully she carries her prescription with her, straight to a Doctors and they were able to dispense a new prescription.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Just a heads up for you guys. If any off you are within the realms of repeat prescriptions and you run out or are otherwise in need whilst away, you can contact your own doctor and have the prescription sent electronically to the nearest chemist to your current location.

Thats sound advice. How do you contact a doctor these days?

I turned up at a site in Warwickshire having forgot my anti DVT meds. So rather than drive all the way home again I went into the local surgery and they immediately gave me an appointment for an hours time. Amazing service compared to at home, where we have to register for a phone call from the doctor which may not be that day, and if as a result of that call he/she may then make an appointment for a face to face consultation.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you just ring your own Doctor, they send it direct to the chemist, no need for an appointment. Usually the receptionist can handle it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
If you just ring your own Doctor, they send it direct to the chemist, no need for an appointment. Usually the receptionist can handle it.

That may work for you but not here. Am thinking of registering for one of the online ones or Boots who do it all for you via your own practise and deliver. All FoC to me.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Our local HC is all computerised when it comes to prescriptons but the last time I wanted a Doctors appointment it was a four week wait and we have thirty Doctors at the practice, although in fairness you can turn up at the walkin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know the system can work well for a lot of patients, but for both my wife and i, it's a pain in the neck.

My wife has to use morphine patches to control pain, and whilst you can order the patches using the surgeries on line repeat prescription, the morphine prescriptionis not allowed to sent electronically to the pharmacy, because it's a controlled drug. Surprisingly paracetamol cannot be sent electronically either, and that is not a controlled drug!

Because of my wife's multiple conditions, she is on a complex cocktail of drugs, some have contraindications and when she first tried the on line ordering, the medic that has to approve or reject the requested items chose not to allow some of her prescription to be dispensed, because of the contraindications. What a mess of trouble that caused.

Then there is the pharmacy (Tesco's) who when it was discovered that some drugs could not be sent electronically, we requested them to physically collect the scripts, but they failed to request the controlled
drugs so those scripts were not dispensed, a fact that was not discovered until we were unpacking them at home. More inecessary journeys to sort it out.

The pharmacy is frequntly unable to complete the full prescription. We often get shortages notes, needing us (usually me) to make more journeys to get it completed

My wife has to have monthly blood tests to monitor her conditions. About a week after she has consultation with our gp. He is great, he explains the importance and meaning of the results, he explains any changes to her medication, and he takes her repeat prescription and issues the newscripts there and then

We still have to face the short comings of all the pharmacies in town. On no occasion has any of them been able to fulfill the whole prescription while we wait, so I now drop them of at Tesco's, and arrange to collect the next day, so the have time to order any out of stock items. E X the last time I left it 2 working days, and they still hadn't got all the items!

I estimate I spend about 15% of my annual mileage on medical related matters.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
My wife needs a repeat and on a couple of occasions in the past I have turned up at Boots and half the prescription was not there so it ment going to the surgery to get it sorted out and the reason was because someone could not be bothered to look at the second leaf of the prescription, 'Hey Ho' they then managed to get all the prescription on one sheet, touch wood the system is now working,

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
On a couple of occasions I haven't taken enough drugs with me when we go to see our daughter, staying at a CL near Frome.

I went to the Pharmacy at Sainsburys who asked for the script to be faxed to them - yes, FAXED! I rang the Doc who contacted JS and asked for their fax number and sent it.

The second time I needed more drugs I just called the surgery who, having the JS details, just faxed it with a header 'saying to be collected' - which I did without problem a few hours later.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Another way around things , is to ask your Doctors/health center for an extra months worth of medication, saying your going on holiday, that way you are always a month ahead,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Another way around things , is to ask your Doctors/health center for an extra months worth of medication, saying your going on holiday, that way you are always a month ahead,
That works if you remember to take them with you. Collected new ones this morning. Im in Leicester tabs are in Wiltshire. Second time I’ve done that. So it’s lots of fluids for me tomorrow and presumably plenty of stops to drain tanks too.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
That works if you remember to take them with you. Collected new ones this morning. Im in Leicester tabs are in Wiltshire. Second time I’ve done that. So it’s lots of fluids for me tomorrow and presumably plenty of stops to drain tanks too.

Trouble is remembering to take the memory tabs,
Who started this Thread?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Our surgery issues meds two monthly. MIL is only given hers monthly. No idea why different surgeries have different protocols

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
EH52ARH said:
Our surgery issues meds two monthly. MIL is only given hers monthly. No idea why different surgeries have different protocols

It will be based on NICE guidelines on the meds being dispenced, but is fundamentally down to the GPs judgement about what works best for the patient.
For what's it's worth, my meds are on a two monthly basis whilst my wife's are monthly, same GP.
At my previous surgery, the doctor produced a year's worth of prescriptions with different dates!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use the Patient website and order repeats on line, Works OK except now they are dating everything at 56day intervals which is not handy for long trips, especially overseas. The surgery pretends this is mandatory but most of my friends from elsewhere in the country do not have this hassle.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Our Surgery operates a "Batch" prescription service. They send six month's worth of prescriptions electronically to the Pharmacy, and I just need to phone the Pharmacy to get one of the prescriptions made up. The Pharmacy tell me when I am on my penultimate prescription, and I just phone the Surgery to get another Batch sent out. Works pretty well.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
We use the Patient website and order repeats on line, Works OK except now they are dating everything at 56day intervals which is not handy for long trips, especially overseas. The surgery pretends this is mandatory but most of my friends from elsewhere in the country do not have this hassle.

My surgery also use a 56 day timeline, but will advance prescriptions if likely to run out whilst away, and will increase beyond 56 days should I be so lucky.
Today was arrival day Vosges Mountains. Instead a hot, tiring bumpy journey from Leicestershire to Wiltshire, and back tomorrow without the caravan in tow.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
RayS said:

My surgery also use a 56 day timeline, but will advance prescriptions if likely to run out whilst away, and will increase beyond 56 days should I be so lucky.
Today was arrival day Vosges Mountains. Instead a hot, tiring bumpy journey from Leicestershire to Wiltshire, and back tomorrow without the caravan in tow.

Sorry about that OC i think you would have liked the area, hope your dad gets better.
Hutch.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
RayS said:

Sorry about that OC i think you would have liked the area, hope your dad gets better.
Hutch.

Thanks Hutch. I’ve done all the hard work sorting out campsites, routes, programming satnav etc. Even got the Eurolite beam benders and couple of Alcosense which I’ve had for a while despite them not really being required now. So given a fair wind and dogs that at 12 years old next year are still fit, it should be a simple matter to resurrect the plan for 2019 :)

TRENDING THREADS