Replacement Numberplate for Caravan - Help Please

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Evening all

I just purchased a number plate online for the new van, pay for it, then to complete my order get told I must send off my driver licence, v5 etc etc to confirm i am the owner of the plate. https://www.easynumberplates.co.uk/legislation.html

Is this ligit or is someone trying to ripp off my I.D? Apologies for my lack of understanding, but I thought you could just have one made?

Have I just said goodbye to 12.99 or should I send off my details?

Why is nothing easy these days. Trying to get a towbar for my 2010 Passat has been a right farce so far.

Thanks all

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The law requires plate makers to be certain that the buyer is the legitimate owner of the vehicle for which the plate is made and requires sight of the V5, Drivers Licence and at least one other form of proof of residence.

It is MUCH easier, and probably cheaper, to go into Halfords amd get one made with the relevant paperwork, than faffing about on the Internet.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We had a new one made for the caravan, when we changed our car last year, at our local 'Motorworld'. We took in the Logbook for the car, Driver's Licence, and a Council Tax bill - and there was no problem at all. They make them up whilst you wait.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Val A. said:
We took in the Logbook for the car, Driver's Licence, and a Council Tax bill - and there was no problem at all. They make them up whilst you wait.

Same here. Took it to a local motor factors and it was done in ten minutes maximum.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
You could always go to someone like Halfords or motor spares shop and buy a reflective plate and purchase the letters/numbers and make it yourself.
Adrian

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I changed my car 6 months ago so needed a new number plate made, I ordered one from the internet about £7 and had a choice of letters GB printed on side and was delivered in 3 days, did not need any paper work from me.
One problem, can not remember the name of company but will see if I have a record, it was from ebay if that helps.
Reg
PS. For my old car I went to Halfords and they mixed up the numbers on the van plate but did not notice for 3 months, opps.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote"You could always go to someone like Halfords or motor spares shop and buy a reflective plate and purchase the letters/numbers and make it yourself"

I dont think you can now, as the plates have to show the BSI No and the name and address of the maker.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Reg, if you did not need to supply documentation, then it is almost certain that what you bought were "Show Plates" which are not marked with the suppliers name and BSI markings (web sites selling these usually have a disclaimer somewhere in the sales wording). If so, these are illegal for road use. Having said that, many people do use them, but you risk prosecution if some diligent PC happens to notice them.

John M

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Try ebay item number 350445497341, Flash Plates Ltd, plate is Legal, £4.94 free p&p, next day delv.
Have used them on 4 occasions, great service, you even get the sticky pads with it.
You do not have to supply any details except the reg number of the car.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote"You could always go to someone like Halfords or motor spares shop and buy a reflective plate and purchase the letters/numbers and make it yourself"

I dont think you can now, as the plates have to show the BSI No and the name and address of the maker.
Wow you learn something new everyday dont you, thanks Damian. looks like I need a new plate for the van now, mine was made by the fitters at work that made up all the plates for the trucks and trailers it's a normal plate with the bsi no's in small writing on the btm righthand side but no makers name, "got a spare felt tip pen anyone"

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
mucky pup said:
Try ebay item number 350445497341, Flash Plates Ltd, plate is Legal, £4.94 free p&p, next day delv.
Have used them on 4 occasions, great service, you even get the sticky pads with it.

Thanks Mucky pup, just placed an order.

Cheers all

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
mucky pup said:
Do the plates have the makers name and postcode and the BSI number?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Just rang 2 of our local car accessory shops and queried the legality of purchasing one of the DIY reflective plates and adding letters/numbers.
Apparently,they are legal to sell,but you must use the correct spacing between digits/numbers and they are not used to make a vehicle look younger than it actually is...e.g. making up a plate with the "55" prefix to fit to a 2001 vehicle.
Adrian

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
no , they are not legal. They are illegal, All number plates displayed on a motor vehicle or a trailer must conform the the revelvant specifications (BS) and the letter size and spacing must conform as well. The letters must also be sealed into the plate so that they can not be altered or removed.
To purchase a legal number plate you must provide proof that you are the registered keeper of the vehicle.
There is nothing to stop you buying a reflective plate and numbers butas soon as you use the plate on the public highway the plate must legally show the makers name, telephone number the relevant British Standards as above.
It is , however highly unlikely that you would be caught but , dont complain about other law breakers in future.....

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote"Just rang 2 of our local car accessory shops and queried the legality of purchasing one of the DIY reflective plates and adding letters/numbers."

I am not surprised by that reply from them, they are a car accessory shop selling stuff.
They are not very likely to say , yes you can buy but they will be illegal, ..............................are they?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yep....I agree that they are there to make money.
I apologise for giving the wrong information in an earlier post.
Not too sure about the quote"dont complain about other law breakers in future"
I always complain about law breakers lol
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Adrian

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........you can only legally obtain a vehicle registration plate from a supplier who is licensed by the DVLA.
The licensed supplier will require proof that you are entitled to have the plate made up.
A supplier who supplies a plate without asking for proof of ownership will not be licensed and is breaking the law.

I would not want to have an illegally supplied plate on my caravan, and as legal ones are cheap and easy to obtain in a matter of minutes from such outlets as larger Halfords.........why bother with black market plates.

Since some posters are confused ..........
I post a link to the Government webpage below that sets out the law.
The webpage also contains a link to a DVLA search engine enabling you to find your nearest registered plate supplier.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_4022573

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The company I work for makes number plates. We have to keep a register of all plates issued together with the information on the two proofs of entitlement that were shown at the time the plates were issued. This register is retained should DVLA wish to examine it. Quite how Flash Plates get round this legal requirement is beyond me. Still, if you want to avoid speeding tickets by cloning a car at least you know where to get the plates made!
smiley-wink.gif

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
The plates are fully legal with;
Makers name, post code and BSI number.
Pleased i could help ghop99.

No they are not legal for use on the public highway unless you have supplied details of your V5 document and proof that you are the registered keeper. They can be used on private property ( this does not include carparks in shopping centres by the way) but as soon as you venture out on to the public highway they are not legal.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......they won’t but they have been obtained from a supplier who is operating illegally.
It is a personal decision as to whether you want to deal with such a company to save a small amount of money on such an infrequent purchase.
You also run the risk that the plates might not conform to standard, as they will if obtained from a licensed supplier.

Jun 13, 2006
Visit site
Flash Plates - Great service!

As I change my car every 3 months, I need to get new plates on a regular basis. I have used flash plates many times and they offer a superb service. Ok they might be twisting the rules, but are the authorities really going to prosecute anyone for using these plates on a caravan?

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
If they have all the correct markings how will anyone know they are illegal?
smiley-undecided.gif
interesting question there DD mine have been on the van 4 years now and I never knew about the ruling untill damian mentioned it,
however in the interests of legality I went to the local car shop to ask about it, the conversation went something like this.

he said quote" new rear plates for a trailer have to be the same as the car with the makers name and BS number clearly marked, all plates SHOULD be resgistered but seeing has how your plate was professionally made with a BS no,he could not see a problem with it"

I said yes but what about the makers bit.

he said "easy done just stick this on he said" a piece of yellow sticky tape for free with the shop name and post code on it, or you can have a new one for a fiver we just need the reg no and the "V5 document" if its handy but if not it does not matter seeing as I know you and you have bought parts for the car of us for a few years we know it's yours and besides it all on the computer anyway.

I said Ha but is that ok I asked, as you did not make the plate

he said "of course it is just have a look at your car" , was the plates on it when you bought it from the dealer"

I said "well YES they were"

he said "right well I will bet there is a yellow sticker just like this one on both plates showing his busines name and address but I will bet he did not make up the plates in the first place just added the sticker for advertising purposes"

And do you know what he was right because I pulled them off and underneath were the original name of the renault supplier when the car was new.

SO to DD question if all the marking are there who will know?? and as a supplement question if all this yellow sticky tape makes plates illegal why is it used and exactly how many cars bought second hand have illegal number plates on them.

colin.
PS. I have still got the same plate on the van but it's got a little yellow sticker at the btm now,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts