Replacement tow car

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Looking to replace my lovely Volvo XC90 to tow the Unicorn Pamplona. Short list is another XC90, Jaguar F Pace or Volvo XC60. All would be about 3 years old, diesel and automatic. Has anyone got experience with owning and towing with any of these? Thanks for your help.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I imagine the F Pace would be very good, but have no real knowledge. From all I have read, the XC 60 is excellent. I see it as making much better sense economically. So long as a smaller (though not too small), car, works for you.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Neither Jaguar nor modern Volvos have good reliability reputations - which is strange in Volvo's case as the Ford models they share platforms with have good reputations.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Neither Jaguar nor modern Volvos have good reliability reputations - which is strange in Volvo's case as the Ford models they share platforms with have good reputations.
Are three year old Jaguars or Volvos still sharing Ford parts and platforms given Ford sold to Geeley a good few years back……2010

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Whilst the OP has already seemingly got a shortlist he should not exclude many others that are good tugs. I would suggest VW - the Tiguan if it is spacious enough, or the Touareg, the similar models of Audi if he can afford it, or (especially) a Skoda Kodiaq which is roomy, comfortable, and (from what I hear) very reliable. Having been a Skoda owner in the past I would suggest a test drive. Also note that used VAG warranty is one of the best you can find.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As mentioned above we would be a looking at reliability and servicing costs in a vehicle rather than looking at a particular brand. Many people like the Kia Sorento which has been discussed on this forum numerous times and has good reliability and a long warranty.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Whilst the OP has already seemingly got a shortlist he should not exclude many others that are good tugs. I would suggest VW - the Tiguan if it is spacious enough, or the Touareg, the similar models of Audi if he can afford it, or (especially) a Skoda Kodiaq which is roomy, comfortable, and (from what I hear) very reliable. Having been a Skoda owner in the past I would suggest a test drive. Also note that used VAG warranty is one of the best you can find.
At present got VW Tiguan 4Motion TDI DSG 5 door and also own a Skoda some years ago so far been great and very reliable .

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Have a look at the Mercedes E class E220D. Magnificent car - we got an estate version last December . The economy is outstanding so far, (54 mpg solo on a run) incredible for such a big car !

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Have a look at the Mercedes E class E220D. Magnificent car - we got an estate version last December . The economy is outstanding so far, (54 mpg solo on a run) incredible for such a big car !

I was tempted but the relatively low lowball limit put me off.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
And the Jag hasn't got Ford legacy parts either-beautiful inside; realiability issues aside your choices are nice but for the same money I'd def agree wth Buckman and look to be enjoying the warranty the Kia or Hyundai offer. If they don't float your boat how about one of the Toyotas; not sure what the Rav 4 tow capacity offers but their warranty is now unbeatable in that , service it there you get a year of warranty up to 10 years old!

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The OPs Pamplona has a hefty MTPLM of 1698 kgs.The XC90 has obviously performed well. I suspect going for a lighter tug may not bring them same relaxed tow overall. IMO I’d go for another XC90, Sorento or VW Touareg Or Santa Fe.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Looking to replace my lovely Volvo XC90 to tow the Unicorn Pamplona. Short list is another XC90, Jaguar F Pace or Volvo XC60. All would be about 3 years old, diesel and automatic. Has anyone got experience with owning and towing with any of these? Thanks for your help.

Kia Sorento or Hyundai equivalent would be my choice.
Very popular and really good warranty plus high spec makes them very appealing.
Thanks
Steve

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
The OPs Pamplona has a hefty MTPLM of 1698 kgs.The XC90 has obviously performed well. I suspect going for a lighter tug may not bring them same relaxed tow overall. IMO I’d go for another XC90, Sorento or VW Touareg Or Santa Fe.
Agreed, I went the other way as I have mentioned in other topics.
We had a Tiguan (2015 4Motion) and it was lovely until we swapped the 'van to a twin Axle Bailey. It just about coped when the van was at around it's maximum 1606kg but we had to be very careful packing. It also really struggled reversing on an incline, especially as it was a manual box.

After weeks of searching we ended up with the Santa Fe, originally wanted a XC90 but anything in our £15 k budget had intergalactic mileage.
Amazed how good the Santa Fe is , and how close it feels to VW build quality, plus loads of kit on it compared with other,more Premium brands.
Bonus is the caravan has been up-plated to 1800kg and wife and kids can take their entire wardrobe with them :rolleyes:

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I have had a Santa Fe for 10 years now, it’s 12 years old, a 200 HP turbo diesel. Auto. Brilliant for towing, though my experience of vehicles is limited. Two years old when purchased. Very light on tyres, still two of the originals fitted, only needed to purchase one tyre (but the spare has been used as well. Only needed front brake pads replaced at
64 K miles (done 70k now)

Problems. Brake cable for parking brake needed replacing and issues with water sensor in fuel filter.

Wondering what I might replace it with if needed. No big budget so it might be another Santa Fe or Kia equivalent. Wonder when they will phase out Diesel engines?

Toyota reliability is bullet proof, apart from my bro in law. £300 + bill, for new RAV4 vehicle under a year old. for new front brake pads and discs, when one of the pads broke. (Consumables only have 6 month guarantee)

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
We have a 2016 xc60 and a 2014 santa fe , no issues with either all been mega reliable since in our ownership, both tow our t/a swift no problem. (y)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Any of those cars would do the job of towing the caravan without problem. I think the real question is which would suit you best as a car for normal use. The towed mileage tends to be very low compared with other mileage, and so you want a car that suits you best in everyday use. Personally I would buy with my heart and go for what I like best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts