Replacement Tyres - what's out there?

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
A quick search on here revealed (I confess only a quick search) a couple of people talking about Hankook but aside from that the other article thrown up in the search was some years old.

I've a very very slight sidewall bulge ... more of a gentle tiny ripple ... on our Michelin Agilis "185R14C" tyres (what do you assume about the aspect ratio, if absent, ie. the number normally after the 185 but before the R?) which are original from new.

Just thinking of changing to be on the safe side.

Michelin website bit of a minefield but seems on the face of it they no longer do 14" size, so that's a poor start.

Michelin always been my preferred for cars, as you know its a name you can trust. Don't recall Practical Caravan magazine running any kind of article on tyres in the four or five years we've subscribed.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
BaileyNiggles said:
A quick search on here revealed (I confess only a quick search) a couple of people talking about Hankook but aside from that the other article thrown up in the search was some years old.

I've a very very slight sidewall bulge ... more of a gentle tiny ripple ... on our Michelin Agilis "185R14C" tyres (what do you assume about the aspect ratio, if absent, ie. the number normally after the 185 but before the R?) which are original from new.

Michelin website bit of a minefield but seems on the face of it they no longer do 14" size, so that's a poor start.

Michelin always been my preferred for cars, as you know its a name you can trust. Don't recall Practical Caravan magazine running any kind of article on tyres in the four or five years we've subscribed.
185R14 if it needs a profile is 185/80R14 - the C just indicates a commercial tyre. The load rating should be 104/102 or 102/100. You won't need a high speed rating but it is a good idea to have reinforced/extra load tyres. There is no point in fitting premium grade car tyres as you will probably only ever to10K or so on them. A well know mid-range brand is a much better option. Avon make very good van rated tyres but they specifically say they should not be used on caravans!
Maxxis are often original fit on caravans, else Hankook Vantra look as though they will do the job.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
BaileyNiggles said:

185R14 if it needs a profile is 185/80R14 - the C just indicates a commercial tyre. The load rating should be 104/102 or 102/100. You won't need a high speed rating but it is a good idea to have reinforced/extra load tyres. There is no point in fitting premium grade car tyres as you will probably only ever to10K or so on them. A well know mid-range brand is a much better option. Avon make very good van rated tyres but they specifically say they should not be used on caravans!
Maxxis are often original fit on caravans, else Hankook Vantra look as though they will do the job.

Agree with above comments. My present caravan is on Hankook Vantra LT which is a light commercial truck tyre as used by WVM. They were OEM supplynback in the days when UK caravan makers upgraded the tyre quality and load ratings. Swift went fir a combined load rating of MTPLM+10%. I’ve carried on with Hankook. After all if they are OEM to brands like MB that’s okay fir me. But seriously I’ve had Hankook on Xc 70 and daughters Saab Aero and have no complaints.

I think Swift are now supplying Durun a budget tyre. In the past on caravans I’ve had specific trailer tyres from Kenda and GT Radial ST 6000 Kargomax. Like the Avons mentioned above both Kenda and GT Radial were embossed on the sidewall “trailer use only”

Plenty of choice out there if you us the internet suppliers such as Blackwell, Tyre Leader, Pneus Online. I’ve had tyres arrive from the continent within 24 hours door to door. If you go for a well known brand of C tyre and from an online supplier you get newer tyres thus maximising your five year life.

Tyre Leadervare showing Hankook, Continental, Yokohama, Cooper (Avon}, Maxxix; GT Radial, Kumho, Toyo etc and another four pages which I couldn’t wade through.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BaileyNiggles said:
Thanks. Might you know why you sometimes see the apparently two load ratings? You know, like you're "104/102"?

The first figure to a single wheel fitment. The second figure refers to a dual wheel fitment on a light truck. Ie one or two wheels on each end of the axle. For the caravan just ensure that you align with the makers LI or higher if felt necessary; but I’ve never gone above as it could give harder ride and tyres have speed and load margins built in by the makers.

If you buy C spec light commercial vehicle tyres they are reinforced. It’s only normally passenger cars that sometimes require tyres marked XL.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've just put a fresh pair of hankook vantra tyres on my van,elddis put ovation tyres on from new.The ovation tyres are like brand new after 5yrs and these are budget tyres.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I put a pair of the Hankook vantra’s on my van a few weeks back after noticing the original, 3 y/o Durun were badly perished.
Hankook are original fitment on my 2019 Audi and feel fine so far.

Kevin

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We have https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=ms-android-samsung&ei=Ec9dXYWmJ4CH1fAPk96R-AY&q=laufenn+caravan+tyres&oq=laufenn+caratyres&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0i7i30.11446.13540..15327...1.1..1.176.751.4j3......0....1.........0i71j35i304i39j35i39j0j0i13._8WmDiTaytM on our caravan , seem ok to me.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
We have https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=ms-android-samsung&ei=Ec9dXYWmJ4CH1fAPk96R-AY&q=laufenn+caravan+tyres&oq=laufenn+caratyres&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0i7i30.11446.13540..15327...1.1..1.176.751.4j3......0....1.........0i71j35i304i39j35i39j0j0i13._8WmDiTaytM on our caravan , seem ok to me.

Which specific types do you have. The search gives quite a few.

PS Oops Laufenn :)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
otherclive said:
BaileyNiggles said:
Thanks. Might you know why you sometimes see the apparently two load ratings? You know, like you're "104/102"?

The first figure to a single wheel fitment. The second figure refers to a dual wheel fitment on a light truck. Ie one or two wheels on each end of the axle. For the caravan just ensure that you align with the makers LI or higher if felt necessary; but I’ve never gone above as it could give harder ride and tyres have speed and load margins built in by the makers.

If you buy C spec light commercial vehicle tyres they are reinforced. It’s only normally passenger cars that sometimes require tyres marked XL.

It is generally accepted that in terms of a caravan the lower part of the load rating is also applicable to twin axle vans.

To be sure of the correct LR for your van, take its MTPLM, add 10% and divide by two (for a single axle) and select the load rating of that weight or the next one up if it falls between two. You can put a higher rating on but it will tend to make the caravan bounce about more when towing which of course won't do the unit or its contents any good.
Also - and very important - make sure the pressures are right. a 185R14 will normally be somewhere in the range 58-62psi, whereas low profiles if specified may be much lower.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:
BaileyNiggles said:

It is generally accepted that in terms of a caravan the lower part of the load rating is also applicable to twin axle vans.

To be sure of the correct LR for your van, take its MTPLM, add 10% and divide by two (for a single axle) and select the load rating of that weight or the next one up if it falls between two. You can put a higher rating on but it will tend to make the caravan bounce about more when towing which of course won't do the unit or its contents any good.
Also - and very important - make sure the pressures are right. a 185R14 will normally be somewhere in the range 58-62psi, whereas low profiles if specified may be much lower.

Why would anyone consider putting tyres on that exceed MTPLM + 10% when the tyres themselves have speed and load margins already built in so adding 10% is not unreasonable. but even more is totally unnecessary and as you rightly say will probably shake the inners loose.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
...I think Swift are now supplying Durun a budget tyre...

I don't think they are - my 2018 Swift Sprite came with Laufenn [X-Fit Van] tyres which is a Hankook subsidiary.
Had a few sets of Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115 tyres on the car before switching to Michelin Cross-Climate.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
...I think Swift are now supplying Durun a budget tyre...

I don't think they are - my 2018 Swift Sprite came with Laufenn [X-Fit Van] tyres which is a Hankook subsidiary.
Had a few sets of Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115 tyres on the car before switching to Michelin Cross-Climate.

I know we are diverting a bit but my Sante Fe had the Hancook Vectus prime 2 , changed to Knokien Weather proofs, the Hankook, were a better tyre but didn't have the snow tyre rating. .which I needed for travelling to Switzerland, Without the caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hankook Kinergy 4S is a all season tyre with snowflake and three peaks rating suitable for use in Europe where there are specific requirements for tyres in winter. Although they are probably not as good in snow as the Nokians all seasons which are directly derived from a winter tyre.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
otherclive said:
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:
BaileyNiggles said:

Why would anyone consider putting tyres on that exceed MTPLM + 10% when the tyres themselves have speed and load margins already built in so adding 10% is not unreasonable. but even more is totally unnecessary and as you rightly say will probably shake the inners loose.

Only relating exactly what Bailey told me when I saw an identical caravan to ours with very different tyres (and pressures.) Turned out the spares they had in stock were incorrectly specified by their tyre supplier.

Bailey reckon MPTLM+10% to get the load rating.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:
BaileyNiggles said:

Only relating exactly what Bailey told me when I saw an identical caravan to ours with very different tyres (and pressures.) Turned out the spares they had in stock were incorrectly specified by their tyre supplier.

Bailey reckon MPTLM+10% to get the load rating.

I think my comments supported what you had posted. What I was querying was why would anyone fit MTPLM plus 10% plus another margin?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts