Replacing heating element Dometic RM 4291

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On site in Spain and trying to help friend with about 8 year old Hymer fitted with this fridge. Does not work on mains electricity. Unfortunately I have to leave before a spare element can be delivered, so he will need to do it himself. Caravan is seasonal/static and no caravan service for some distance. He is qualified electrician but fairly new to caravanning.

Ideally I would like a link to a YouTube clip, or failing this a written description. I have googled extensively and can find the exploded view thanks to leisureshopdirect but this fridge is built in and will be a nightmare to remove or gain access to the connections at the top.The entire kitchen unit and hob tops will have to come out as the control spindles are through a fascia which effectively prevents the fridge from being pulled forward The idea is to work through the vent apertures, cut the lead where visible, remove the dead element and replace and reconnect with a decent junction box mounded away from the heat sources. A Dometic Engineer did exactly this on a Burstner I owned some time ago.

Any links to such a clip or other source very much appreciated

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The biggest problem is whether he has room to unclip the heat shield around the flue, if he has, then prise up the 3 small fold over retainers holding the top circular plate in place then unclip the metal heat shield down to the cut out where the element goes in.
Slide the old element out, making sure he has the mains element. and cut the cable close to the old element.
Fit the new element making sure it goes into its holder on the flue, and cut the cable shorter , allowing enough length to be able to crimp connect the 3 wires in the outer sheath.
Strip back the outer sheath on the new and old cables, about 3 to 4 inches, then strip back the two brown cables on both , and the earth green/yellow and crimp new cables to old , making sure like for like colours !!!!!
Wrap the whole jointing area with insulating tape and secure any loose cable to the cooling matrix about half way up in the centre.

It does not matter which brown connects to the other brown cables, just DONT connect earth to either brown!!!

Reclip the heat shield together and replace the top circular disc, and bend over the locking tabs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts