Replating motorhomes

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Hi
Looked through lots of posts about this, but can someone please tell me ALL implications of replating motorhomes from 3500 to say 3850kg to increase payload?
ie speed limits and toll charges UK/abroad
Also road tax and what happens if u have C1 licence with pre 1997 test when you get to age 70?

Thanks

Jun 7, 2018
Visit site
asked the same questions myself, and here's the answer l got.
1) Replating:- I tried to replate mine from 3200 to 3500 myself, it was a complete nightmare. so I employed a company to do it and it cost me £314.00 it took a month the best money I ever spent.
2) C1 Licence:- I believe when you turn 70 you automatically revert to a 3500 licence unless you have a medical every year, couldn't be bothered with the hassle. also, anyone after 1997 will not get a C1 Licence so fewer buyers if l sell.

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Implications too many to cover through forum posts. Suggest you have a look at SV Tech's website. Increasing the overall weight does not increase the load rating on each axle. To do this you may need wider tyres, bigger wheels and semi air suspension. Toll charges vary dependng on whether the fee is based on weight or height.

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I see to many 3.5 ton restrictions on roads while we are in France , we like the out of the way spots little villages etc and would not like to be banned from them so I would stick to the 3.5T myself. Have fun with your van and stay with the limit you go for. :)

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Quick update on this - I loaded up my van - 2018 Wildax Aurora Leisure with all the camping gear, chairs table hookup lead , barby and towbar mounted bike rack with 2 bikes plus 2 pairs of skis and boots to represent weight of food/clothes - with 2 people in van plus full tank of fuel and full (100lit) water the van weight on local weighbridge was 3360kg - happy with that as I still have some payload left on the 3500kg limit so decided not to bother replating - easiest option!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts