Reporting back - Wiltshire

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Back after a lovely 2 weeks away at Blackland Lakes in Calne.

I won't bore you with the details of our various arguments with the teenagers.

However I will report back that the van has performed well - I will say that I think Bailey build quality may have suffered somewhat in the past couple of years as, for a brand new van, there are a few things that are a bit loose (nothing to go back to to a dealer for) but still a little flimsy in places.

The facilities all work great (didn't need to try the heating as we needed fans for the heat) so no complaints there.

Only awning issue was the marker light which gets in the way of EVERY airpole as you thread it onto the bead (so the awning will go on from the back next time)

What was highlighted most however was that (as you will all know from my various posts before) my car woes continued although we did get a definitive answer from Bailey on axle weights (See link to other thread if i can make it work) ----> CLICK HERE

Basically - as previously stated - we aren't the lightest of campers and like our home comforts therefore even though we snuck in under any limits, the van was getting close to its 1800 MTPLM (even with a lighter nose of 80kg - which performed much better) and the car (when dogs and roofbox included) was only about 30kg off the GVW therefore the conclusion is thus:

The Mitsubishi is a great towcar but is a very light SUV. Comparing with my friend's Sorento, the GVW is nearly 350kg higher on the Kia. I think although a comfortable tow (which it was over 6 hours) we will always be running close to limits with that outfit so we will be looking at a towcar that will give us a bit more leeway to load what we want into the car and not worry about overloading the van.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback . Now you have the perfect excuse to upgrade. LOL! Although I have never been in or driven one, reports from many people praise the Kia Sorento.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB and Ste6t9
May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback . Now you have the perfect excsue to upgrade. LOL! Although I have never been in or driven one, reports from many people praise the Kia Sorento.
It’s not something we have to address right away. We just have to be somewhat selective with our payload in the meantime.

Might be nipping to a CS in a couple of weeks on my own for a couple of nights so that’s won’t be an issue- it’s only when we all go really.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My last two Sorentos were solid excellent tiggers. Son has the latest version which is virtually identical to the Hyundai Santa Fe. Both are superb tow vehicles. Look around the sites and see how popular they are. I prefer the auto

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Or a Hyundai Tucson which is essentially the same vehicle.
Tucson is too light and small for this role. It’s the equivalent of the Sportage so no advantage of Ste Outlander. Friend of mine had a new Tucson for two weeks before trading it fir a new Santa Fe.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Flimsy is the best word to describe most UK caravans I am afraid. Good you are happy with the caravan but the loose bits suggest the caravan was hurried which is what another purchaser I spoke to suggested.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Last part of the vans journey under its own steam!!!!

Great video. Just goes to show how good a quad drive on a TA is. Only one of my TA axles is driven and it takes ages to turn but does the job. Think of the weight saving😜😜😜.
Back in time on here was an excellent discussion about measuring nose loads on SAs and TAs. I think you may find it interesting. If I can’t find it this ŵeek I am sure someone will.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts