Responsibility of ferry company

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As ferry companies cancelled return ferries from Europe at very short notice and many of us were forced to use the only remaining service - Eurotunnel, has the cancelling ferry company any responsibility for the extra costs involved. They have issed a refund but as a voucher. Th difference in cost between this and the Eurotunnel fare was substantial - towards £200 - plus several hundred miles addition driving and an overnight at a campsite.
The travel insurance policy (RP) does not cover this and insist the claim should go to the ferry operator.
Their T&Cs are surprise surprise - unclear, but they do state that cancelled tickets will be 'reimbursed' which to me means in cash.

Any views please ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As ferry companies cancelled return ferries from Europe at very short notice and many of us were forced to use the only remaining service - Eurotunnel, has the cancelling ferry company any responsibility for the extra costs involved. They have issed a refund but as a voucher. Th difference in cost between this and the Eurotunnel fare was substantial - towards £200 - plus several hundred miles addition driving and an overnight at a campsite.
The travel insurance policy (RP) does not cover this and insist the claim should go to the ferry operator.
Their T&Cs are surprise surprise - unclear, but they do state that cancelled tickets will be 'reimbursed' which to me means in cash.

Any views please ?
The most that the ferry company will be eligible for will be the cost of your journey on the ferry. But as you say their TCs are open to interpretation and they aren’t treating the customers very well. In comparison my cousin had to cancel a break in Edinburgh due to the lockdown and the train company issued a full refund very quickly.

Reactions: RayS
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I strongly suspect this case rests with the companies T&C's. You can be pretty sure they will have been quite closely scruitinised by the companies lawyer's and so its likely they will be compliant with all legislation regards their liability for cancelled trips. BUT it does seem unlikely its fair they offered a voucher with no refund, as ferry travel is something that is not necessarily a repeat activity for everyone.

Reactions: Beachball and RayS
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Result ! Just on the 45 day reply limit I ave received email from Brittany Ferries withdrawing the voucher for cancellation of ferry back from France last March and refunding to the credit card used. I was just starting to organise my application to the credit card issuer under Section 75 Consumer Credit act ( having taken legal advice) so that's no longer necessary.
Hope others get the same result

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Result ! Just on the 45 day reply limit I ave received email from Brittany Ferries withdrawing the voucher for cancellation of ferry back from France last March and refunding to the credit card used. I was just starting to organise my application to the credit card issuer under Section 75 Consumer Credit act ( having taken legal advice) so that's no longer necessary.
Good outcome. Persistence has paid off.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Great result

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good result. I doubt the company would have been able to rely on the terms and conditions as even if they said no refund if they cancelled, that would fall foul of the Unfair Trading Terms legislation. If a company providing a service cancels the contract you are entitled to a full refund.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Any views please ?
We cancelled our annual holiday to France.We had paid a deposit and cancelled holiday (ferry and campsite) before balance was due so we didn't have to fight to get our money back.Turns out we needn't have worried - all of a sudden our deposit was returned.
Not surprised about insurance not covering - never use them,saved thousands.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That your opinion about Travel Insurance but with my Medical Condition i cannot take the risk when booking a holiday in case i am admitted to hospital .and i have to cancelled :giggle:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with Beachball about travel insurance. Our combined ages are 160+ and with only one driver and no family or other back up this side of the Atlantic no way we are going into Europe without it. Unfortunately no longer possible for me to change wheels on 4x4 so it's Green Flag in UK too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Except where insurance cover is a legal requirement ( I.e. for motor cars or where a loan company requires it as security cover for the items bought) there is no formal requirement to take out insurance. That has to be an individuals assessment of the risk that someone might claim for loss or damage from you.

Without insurance you are exposed to the costs of mounting a denial which might you lose and thus being lumbered with the plaintiffs costs and any compensation awarded against you. In days of old when claims were more proportional, it might have seemed a reasonable risk, but with sky high claims, and big companies mounting cases, you would need exceptionally big pockets to risk not having insurance.

In terms of medical insurance for travel, the benefits usually include translation and communication expertise which might be very valuable when trying to negotiate foreign health services, costs and repatriation.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Ray, not using insurance can be a false economy and sooner or later most people will need it. I know needing an air ambulance to repatriate in the event of a serious illness or accident is remote, but if you need it you are talking several thousand pounds and then possibly the cost of returning your outfit on top and more. This can easily clear £10,000 if it happens to you.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
This year at least the E111 is still valid, from January it's likely that we will be liable for all medical expenses whilst abroad, the EU same as the USA. No way will I be risking that without insurance cover, even the healthiest can have an accident and the costs of medical treatment can the astronomical.

Glad the OP got a refund, we booked this year with the CAMHC and got a full refund as soon as we cancelled our June trip, absolutely no problem. However Martin Lewis is suggesting that taking a voucher if it's a service will will use later could help save companies, With no income many will simply run out of cash and collapse (of course the risk is that if they do collapse any voucher is worthless).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This year at least the E111 is still valid, from January it's likely that we will be liable for all medical expenses whilst abroad, the EU same as the USA. No way will I be risking that without insurance cover, even the healthiest can have an accident and the costs of medical treatment can the astronomical.

Glad the OP got a refund, we booked this year with the CAMHC and got a full refund as soon as we cancelled our June trip, absolutely no problem. However Martin Lewis is suggesting that taking a voucher if it's a service will will use later could help save companies, With no income many will simply run out of cash and collapse (of course the risk is that if they do collapse any voucher is worthless).
I agree about vouchers. We had a dining voucher for Christmas for a nice local restaurant which has now re-opened. Whilst the voucher is open ended and we wouldn’t plan on eating out anywhere soon we would not use the voucher as it would be like rubbing salt into the wound. Our kids and ourselves have not sought refunds from a number of theatre bookings in Bath and Bristol as we would like the theatres to still be there when this thing has passed into history. Now a ferry company .......... could be a case of nature abhors a vacuum. 🙈

Reactions: PTA
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray, not using insurance can be a false economy and sooner or later most people will need it. I know needing an air ambulance to repatriate in the event of a serious illness or accident is remote, but if you need it you are talking several thousand pounds and then possibly the cost of returning your outfit on top and more. This can easily clear £10,000 if it happens to you.
Sorry must bee a misunderstanding. I too would never venture in to Europe without travel insurance and it would probably be Red Pennant as it has for the past 20 years With this you wouldn't need to worry about whether the EHIC will be replaced.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Any views please ?
HelloRayS,
We had booked a holiday in France this year (ferry + Camp site),paid the deposit - couple of hundred - balance was just over £700.Decided to cancel in March - just before the balance was due to be paid so that we didn't have to pay the balance and fight to get our money back.Was prepared to take the hit with the deposit.
Fortunately our deposit was returned ,we didn't even have to ask for it back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts