Retired.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well since I retired almost two years ago, and our caravanning trips have slowed right down, Whilst working in Nigeria on a 6 on 6 week off cycle we went to France every time home for 4 weeks, great, since retiring, Hospital appointments, for me and the best half, just check ups, always meaning to sort out "The boys rooms" they have moved out but have left most of rheir stuff there. !!!.
This year, managed to get away three times, next away after May bank the France for 6 weeks and home for the Woosie fest.
Does anyone else have problems getting away ?. Except of course Rickys

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I retired 6 weeks ago, so not got used to it yet!! intend to get out as much as possible in the caravan apart from September, have a 14 night cruise booked around the Med from Southampton. Thinking ahead for 2017, maybe taking the caravan to Latvia for 3 weeks or more, then stopping off on the way back in Poland and Germany.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Being on 6x6 I was used almost used to relaxing and the better half was used to have me around, thinking of atrip to Poland next year to see a friend, see what happens, I will avoide Switzerland except for transt to France , too expensive, just been tere for 3 weeks.
Enjoy retirement mate.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Since retiring our caravan usage has rocketed. Three weeks or more away are now possible although some baby sitting of grandchildren can get in the way a bit.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
When I was coming up for retirement in 2010 other than my refereeing in the local footbal leagues, I had no real plans. Then by a couple of loosely linked circumstances we thought about buying a caravan for the first time. I have to say it is the best thing we ever did as we now have 2 x 6 weeks tours into Europe, plus at least 4 or 5 - 4 night midweek stays in the UK. We are leaving on Monday for Spain on the Bilbao Ferry then working our way back home through central France. I am also involved in organising a rally for mainly PC readers in September to the Loire Valley. (see Events & Rallies) which we merge with our second tour of Europe. I have to say that we have been to many places we would never have seen and met many people along the way with whom we have enjoyed and short friendly aquaintance.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Since retiring 13 years ago I don't think we've done less than 150 nights per year every year. I know we've worn out two pairs of tyres!
Though I must admit that we are definately slowing down. Only seven weeks in Europe this time, starting next Friday.
Herself and I total 153 years, and car and caravan total 49 years.Retirement is just for fun, but I accept that sometimes health can get in the way!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with Emmerson, retired 1992 having bought first caravan 1967. Spent couple of years local touring while fixing house but since then avweage 150 nights/year in Spain and France ( saving UK for when overseas insurance becomes prohibative)
Due to my eyesight problems OH took up towing a few years ago, and for two years did 1400 miles each way to Spain and back. Now After surgery I can see again and we split towing, me in mornings, she after lunch ( so I can have glass with) combined ages 154.
So plan, pace yourself, it's not a competition, work around medical requirements, think 'why not' rather than 'why', rememer you only have yourselves to please, get up late if you wish, make things easy e.g use French autoroutes with a toll tag, have a good mover on the van, a battery drill to wind the steadies, possibly a rearview camera to improve rear vision when towing, don't economise too much, you can't take it woth you.

How did I have time to go to work ?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I retired 18 months ago, but the OH hasn't retired from her charity work several evenings a week and paid employment at weekends, so we don't get to go off in the van very often. :(

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
RAY, I am with you, just got my bill for two weeks ago, for the Saneff tolling for going to Switzerland, £54 there and back, nice lunch break 1 1/2 hours , in an Italian resteraunt outside of Reims, the French one said one of our dogs was to big, only the second time in 8 years that has happened. Take things easy, get a flexible return so you chose when you want to come back.
Keep going Ray and Mrs Ray.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Having to take early retirement at 50 instead of 55 due to a silly accident (7 vertebras 9 disc's both knees left shoulder right foot nose and a bloody lip) I thought :) away every wk end and when my youngest 10 was off school away every time Great in reality is looking after my 4 grandkids doing most of the chores (dragon lady still work mon-fri but still have managed to get away 4 times up to now this yr But to be honest I really miss work how sad is that :(

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I retired in 2009 and for a few years got away 7- 8 times a year, always in the UK. all year. HO is older then me and has had a few problems just lately. will not get away until mid may this year, hopefully getting away a few times later in the year.
gravesyt Your not alone in missing work, not so much the work but the people at work and the banter that went with it, :lol: :lol:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes miss the lads at work and the banter, and sometimes the challenges that work involved, but have had feedbacks on how the bean counters havee reduced funding for projects, so I am probably better off retired. Oh well back to the redecorating, soon be beer o'clock, in a few hours. :evil:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did listen to others and retired in Spring rather than later in the year which would have been at 65. I was told retire when the weather is good so you can get used to it rather than winter when opportunities to get out are limited and it was right.
We were very lucky as we got our pension in just before the current reductions and with the state pension added are not noticeably worse off.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Yes miss the lads at work and the banter, and sometimes the challenges that work involved, but have had feedbacks on how the bean counters havee reduced funding for projects, so I am probably better off retired. Oh well back to the redecorating, soon be beer o'clock, in a few hours. :evil:
When I retired one of our drivers asked how long it would take to get used to it.I replied that it would depend on whether I walked or ran across the car park!
Do I miss work? Yeah, like I'd miss a headache! Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed my job, but retirement is the best job I've ever had, but be aware that it is a full time job with no time off!

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I used to think how nice it would be to retire but after 15mths of enforced retirement (shoulder injury) I really miss my job as a head chef. My wife is still working and our granddaughter who lives with us is in full time college until late June and has just accepted a job as a Patissiere at a prestigious restaurant, so that just leaves me with our 3 dogs and our cars and caravan to play with but its not having any one to enjoy a bit of banter with that I miss the most. I miss teaching our young chefs and seeing them mature into better chefs and progress up the career ladder. As most of our friends are below retirement age my only escape is when I meet up with an old friend who I was in the Parachute Regiment with every 2weeks and discuss how we could still sort out the counties problems, although I don't think Mr Cameron would approve.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Reading this topic......thinking I wont retire, :(
Gonna stay on and make me own coffin out of scaffold planks :silly: ;) :whistle:

dont worry about it Kev, after 6 months you will be wondering how you ever had time to go to work, people who stay on when they could be retired must be bonkers, and after 50 years at work one has paid enough in to get as much out as possible, I retired 18 months ago, it is a good job to have, the hours are great but there's no extra pay for overtime, and one does a lot of overtime. :cheer: :cheer: one changes the works canteen, for the cafe in the garden centre,
and there is no one stood over you, B) oh yes there is, forgot about the missus :woohoo: :woohoo: and those hobbies you never really had time for, well they become a full time occupation.
when they asked me to stay on for a while to train new recruits, I thought about it for 30 seconds and said no thanks, like emmerson I could not out of the car park quick enough,
my only regret is losing the van, this should be the time in ones golden years that it got the most use, but sadly that was not to be, but there are plenty of other joys just waiting for you, come on in, the waters lovely...

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Redundant (voluntary) just 20 years ago. Was expecting to do something else. Applied to be wardens on CC sites. They were full for that year - left it too late to get in. Following year notified to apply again, but did our 'sums' again, and were managing well enough (without being extravagant) and thoroughly enjoying the freedom that we didn't apply and have never looked back. As Colin says 'How did I have time to work?) Caravanning - when we want to, motorcycling - when I can, house, family (granddaughter arrived after 6 years, that changed things as well), garden as necessary (gave greenhouse and tubs and baskets up - not conducive to being away). Keyboarding, feet up, (as required) 20 years where have they gone? Can't understand the folks who are afraid of retirement. There is not a better job. (Only downside - getting older, but better than the alternative? - Funnily enough you apparently get older when you're working as well!).
Retirement grab it, - and hope they put some extra hours on the days at some future budget! --- 'Cos I ain't got enough

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I was glad to see the back of work although I missed the people I had worked with. When I started everybody had time to do their work and a flexible system to work to. By the time I finished legislation caused us to have to have a very defined job with strict boundaries and the work load was only just managable. Basically more and more work was being heaped on us with out the extra staff needed and it was only by going beyond what was really our job that we kept it going. Speaking to the staff now it has only got worse so no regrets.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I retired nearly 5 years ago and wonder how I had the time to go to work.
My wife and grandaughter show dogs and so far this year we have been away 14 nights in January, 7 nights in February and 7 nights in March. Not managing to get away this month but we are in Bath next month for 7 nights.
We stay on a CS near Bath which is about 10 minutes from our son and daughter in law live. We usually go down at Easter but they have just adopted a brother and sister age 7 and 6 and took them home at Easter. We decided not to visit at Easter to allow the children to settle in first. Cannot wait to see them next month.
O, I also belong to St John Ambulance and teach our Badgers and Cadets on a Tuesday and adults on a Wednesday as well as having duties to do.
Spare time ? Do not know the meaning. Must dash as need to get the cleaning materials ready as going to the storage site to give the caravan a thorough clean ready for the next trip.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts