Retirement Planning

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Two years ago whilst driving to Dover we saw a motorhome with a sign "Adventure before Dementia" . We laughed and waved at the occupents.
Now we are 7 months away from taking early retirement and have decided that a motorhome may be the way to go. However, as normal things are never clear cut. We have a small cottage in Belves, Dordogne which I think will be a great base to go touring from but the big question for me is left hand or right hand drive!
Are motorhomes more or less expensive on the continent and which would give us best resale value.
Obvioulsy we need to do a lot more research on things like van or coach built, layout etc and we will be going to the NEC show in October but LHD or RHD I need help with.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Philip, and welcome.
We're looking forward to retirement too, and planning to move to France, but we'll only be renting a place, not having owned property for over 30 years.
As for which "hand" your van should be, it depends on your plans. Will you move full-time to your French place, or keep a home in the UK too?
And do you intend to use the van in the UK, or will your touring mainly be over there?
LHD is probably your best bet, as once you've toured in France you won't want to bring it back here!
I'd suggest buying over there, especially if buying new as they're cheaper. Register it to your French address, with French plates, then it'll be easy to sell there too.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Morning Philip! Welcome to the Practical Motorhome forum and thanks for posting to introduce yourself. A trip to the NEC in October to get a feel for what ’van you want and what suits you best sounds like a very sensible start! Feel free to ask questions and we'll all try and help.

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have drove a Motorhome on the continent taking in 7/8 Countries and have driven 6000 miles in the USA but by car.
Driving in the states I soon got used to lhd and even had to watch I drove on the right side of the road when back in the UK. However I personally would rather drive a rhd Motorhome when on the continent as I am used to the extra width being on the left hand side and not the right hand whilst going through narrow lanes/gaps etc.
It is purely personal thing and I doubted my judgement with the lhd sometimes , also a Motorhome is wider than a car which initially could feel strange for you. lt is handy to have a passenger when pulling up at toll booths in a rhd as they can pay the toll for you!!!!

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
As Tony says, it depends where you will use most. I imagine you will be in France more??, so a LHD makes sense , But if in Uk more then a RHD, as easier to drive RHD in Uk, as our roads are far more crowded. As you have a place in France you must already drive there?.
You don't see many LHD vans for sale in UK. I also would say buy in France and keep it there, less hassle about Tax, Ins and MOT
We have RHD and use almost exclusively abroad, which is OK as there are two of use, so passenger can help with getting onto road, when having stopped in a layby for instance, as you do have a bit of a blind spot, when pulling out!

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I am told by my good lady we will continue to have a property in the UK for the foreseable future so we will use the MH in the UK as well as in Europe. Next time I go to the cottage I will have to do further research. With the current value of the pound/euro I am sure the lower price will have been reduced.

Thank you for your help and good luck with your retirement plans

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
As you will still be living in UK, and using van here, then I would go for a RHD, which will be easier on UK roads. The continental roads , are "Empty" compared to ours.Also will be easier for service and insurance. i guess you are used to driving RHD cars over there?, So stick with what you know.
Regards going to a show in Uk, you are most unlikely to see LHD any way

Hope you get what you want, personally I would buy secondhand to start with, as it is a costly mistake if you do not get a lay out that suits your style of holidaying.That would also help you to decide LHD/RHD as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts