Returning member - Buccaneer Clipper Advice

Aug 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,
Considering returning to the caravanning world as we approach our retirement years (55+) and we appreciate any advise on any of the Buccaneer model options (previous Baileys). This would be just for the wife and I to enjoy, previously we had a fixed bed to the side which I found could restricting at times. We both need comfort as with wife's hip replacements and my spinal surgery we are looking at separate beds.
Has anyone got the Buccaneer clipper 2016 layout with pull out single extending beds as we would consider this layout for our needs (no bed hogging lol)
Any technical issues to bear in mind i.e. E & P Levelling system etc.

Many thanks
Kevin

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had a 2016 Buccaneer Cruiser, but we had to reject it due to issues with cracks on front and rear panels appearing within a week of purchase from brand new. This was a common issue. Not really the fault of the manufactureer of the caravan, but the manufacturer of the panels. This changed from the 2017 models.
The 2016 and 2017 are on a BPW chassis and not ALKO as they only changed to the ALKO chassis in 2018. The 2016 and 2017 has the diamond wheel locks and ther eis also a different hitch lock. Indidentally the wheel locks should be part of the deal if you go ahead as they were standard with the caravan. There were also other issues.
We then purchased a 2018 which has a different type of front and rear panel and it is like chalk and cheese. E&P is brilliant. We are very happy with the 2018 Cruiser. Strongly recommend that it has a AWD motor mover fitted as the singles can struggle especially on tight corners.

Reactions: saltire
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.... This was a common issue. Not really the fault of the manufactureer of the caravan, but the manufacturer of the panels. This changed from the 2017 models.
The cause of the problem may have been the panel manufacture, but the caravan manufacture should have checked the panels for compliance with the design specification before accepting stock from the supplier. So both the panel and caravan manufacturer were at fault.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Our friends have a 2016 clipper and love it. It hardly looked used when they bought it last year. So far only issues are a drip in the kitchen sink and a faulty bathroom light! Bpw chassis means hooking up is a bit different but seems to work ok.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our friends have a 2016 clipper and love it. It hardly looked used when they bought it last year. So far only issues are a drip in the kitchen sink and a faulty bathroom light! Bpw chassis means hooking up is a bit different but seems to work ok.
Over the years BPW chassis and associated hitches had a good reputation, but we’re quite recently taken over by Alko.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The cause of the problem may have been the panel manufacture, but the caravan manufacture should have checked the panels for compliance with the design specification before accepting stock from the supplier. So both the panel and caravan manufacturer were at fault.
When fitted it was probably within specification as the fault only occurred after usage.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Over the years BPW chassis and associated hitches had a good reputation, but we’re quite recently taken over by Alko.
Our 2018 chassis may be a cross between the BPW and ALKO chassis as we do not have that troublesome ALKO spare wheel carrier. The one on our caravan is very easy to access and identicla to the old fitted on the BPW chassis. We have the ALKO wheel hubs with receivers and ALKO hitch.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 2018 chassis may be a cross between the BPW and ALKO chassis as we do not have that troublesome ALKO spare wheel carrier. The one on our caravan is very easy to access and identicla to the old fitted on the BPW chassis. We have the ALKO wheel hubs with receivers and ALKO hitch.

Lets hope that Alko retain what was a better wheel carrier.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The ALKO spare wheel carrier is rubbish in comparison to the BPW carrier which is a lot easier to access. I assume that you are offering a bit of humour? :D

No. You said that the BPW carrier was easy to access etc, and I just commented that I hoped that Alko would retain the better carrier IE the BPW one. . No humour there.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There's a kit for the cracked corners available on ebay. If it's worth them doing that there was obviously a big error affecting quite a few vehicles-I agree with Prof it's both parties fault but ultimately Elddis must have designed and specced it-if they weren't made to spec it's still Elddis's fault to sort surely? Which presumably they have done. There was some talk about how they were fixed not being 'stress free enough too; though so who knows tbh!.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No. You said that the BPW carrier was easy to access etc, and I just commented that I hoped that Alko would retain the better carrier IE the BPW one. . No humour there.
Oh right I misunderstood you as it came across to me that you were saying the ALKO carrier was better. Apologies.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There's a kit for the cracked corners available on ebay. If it's worth them doing that there was obviously a big error affecting quite a few vehicles-I agree with Prof it's both parties fault but ultimately Elddis must have designed and specced it-if they weren't made to spec it's still Elddis's fault to sort surely? Which presumably they have done. There was some talk about how they were fixed not being 'stress free enough too; though so who knows tbh!.
The issue was not cracked corners, but mainly crazing appearing at random locations on the panels. When they exchanged the front and back panels on our caravan, the front cracked this time, but we think it is because the dealer made a terrible job of fitting the front panel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts