returning watcher

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks

Back in UK after break. I am looking at going to calais first time in years so I thought I would ask the experts. ;)

I guess you have all posted and kept up with things but only just come back on PC.

Can any one tell me new rules that are imposed for car only. so I know about the stickers
this trip is withdrawal symptoms I am desperate for French of course baguettes, croissants, Flunch, wine with out a doubt it would be fizzy either Ackerman or Veuve Amiot if I can get it in the shops. Linderman's cherry beer its been six years only small bottles mind.

So info I would like to start with is :-
if I buy from shops (french duty paid) what is the allowance on said alcohol ?
What are the rules for driving?
Do I still need drink tester kit ?
Car insurance
Driving license ? etc etc

TIA

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have no idea Smiley, but welcome back to the forum. Good to hear from you again. Someone will know the answers to your questions.
mel

Reactions: smiley
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am the same as Mel, not up to date with the latest rules.
But welcome back to the forum , this site might help you out, lots of inormation including caravan sites etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to many who have been, at the moment it is not much different prior to us leaving the EU. People still take food across no issue.
The carrying of the alcohol tester was dropped a long time ago. No issue with car insurance as long as your current policy is valid for use in the EU. Be careful that the policy offers Fully comp as some only have 3rd party cover for EU travel. No issue with a valid driving licence.
Sorry no idea on allowances as never bothered with bringing poisons like tobacco and wine back to the UK. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Smiley i am same as some on here, have no adea but welcome back to the forum but someone will answer you

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2005
Visit site

confused on this one wine I understand one can bring in 18 litres of still and 9 litres of sparkling.
But confused if you go over? Am I understanding if you go over your allowance by 1Ltr you will have to pay for that 1 Ltr and pay for your allowance??? that doesn't seem right.
or do they mean you pay on all over your personal allowance ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
confused on this one wine I understand one can bring in 18 litres of still and 9 litres of sparkling.
But confused if you go over? Am I understanding if you go over your allowance by 1Ltr you will have to pay for that 1 Ltr and pay for your allowance??? that doesn't seem right.
or do they mean you pay on all over your personal allowance ?
The link is quite specific and says if you exceed your allowance then you pay duty on everything. The allowance and the excess too. It’s quite clear in the example in the HMG document. But it’s not hard is it to stick to the defined allowance and then there’s no uncertainty.

Reactions: smiley
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We never used to bring back the wine, as we could buy similar in Lidl's. Except when it seemed we bought a vine yard in Chablis, but it was only three cases. We would go to a little caravan site in Vermenton, lovely place, I ended up on a boules team.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thanks
good info green card required and IDP a must
Green card and IDP are not required, but the link clearly says that, so I don’t know where your understanding came from. your car does need to be insured for use on the Continent, so check your policy or contact your insurer if in doubt.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I remember something about requiring an IDP now we have left Europe, and my insurance compqny Aviva quotes if we are going to the continent apply for an insurance green card.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Green card and IDP are not required, but the link clearly says that, so I don’t know where your understanding came from. your car does need to be insured for use on the Continent, so check your policy or contact your insurer if in doubt.
It states for anyone outside UK & eu driving license IDP is required as I don't have UK license I fall into that category

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
The link is quite specific and says if you exceed your allowance then you pay duty on everything. The allowance and the excess too. It’s quite clear in the example in the HMG document. But it’s not hard is it to stick to the defined allowance and then there’s no uncertainty.
thanks
Just checking as when I fly if I am over the limit and declare on arrival I go off in the red zone ( I think they say she's here again)!!!

as long as I have receipts of purchase and proof of country with tax paid I keep all my allowances and only pay for the excess.

This is clearly RIP OFF BRITAIN thing, which I have just seen this programme on TV 🤔🤔🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thanks
Just checking as when I fly if I am over the limit and declare on arrival I go off in the red zone ( I think they say she's here again)!!!

as long as I have receipts of purchase and proof of country with tax paid I keep all my allowances and only pay for the excess.

This is clearly RIP OFF BRITAIN thing, which I have just seen this programme on TV 🤔🤔🤔
It’s not RIP off Britain it’s been like that for a very long while for purchases coming in from non EU countries. Allowances for alcohol, tobacco and purchases etc may have changed a bit, but the concept hadn’t changed. Perhaps it’s because after leaving the EU people don’t realise what the restrictions were on bringing in stuff if you traveled outside of the EU.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It states for anyone outside UK & eu driving license IDP is required as I don't have UK license I fall into that category
You don’t say where your driving licence was issued, but there are lots more countries apart from the UK where you don’t need an IDP for driving in the EU.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thanks

I’m a bit confused. On the one hand you are enquiring about driving licence, insurance etc then next you say you are flying. One thing if you try and bring 18 litres of wine back on a flight it will take your luggage allowance up and you will be charged excess baggage charges. Unless you plan on flying club, or first.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’m a bit confused. On the one hand you are enquiring about driving licence, insurance etc then next you say you are flying. One thing if you try and bring 18 litres of wine back on a flight it will take your luggage allowance up and you will be charged excess baggage charges. Unless you plan on flying club, or first.
They can always leave the 18kg of dirty washing behind! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
It’s not RIP off Britain it’s been like that for a very long while for purchases coming in from non EU countries. Allowances for alcohol, tobacco and purchases etc may have changed a bit, but the concept hadn’t changed. Perhaps it’s because after leaving the EU people don’t realise what the restrictions were on bringing in stuff if you traveled outside of the EU.
I'm talking about bringing in from France!! We used to bring back lots of wine when we had caravan as much as suspension would allow but that was pre Brexit and rules have changed now

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
They can always leave the 18kg of dirty washing behind! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Understood I am asking about bringing wine from France my comments about flying was only in relation to taking wine from UK flying out to Canada..
sorry for confusion I thought It was clear I was only stating the difference for allowances.

I've never bought thing wine etc into UK when flying

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Smiley, Its probably cheaper to send the wine airfreight to Canada via DHL etc. Or source a supplier in Canada, Crossoints are cheaper in UK than in France. !! And available all day. But your determind to go.
Whats your plan? Hire a Motor home and tour France etc. Or just wander around in Air Band B's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts