Reverse Camera

May 4, 2023
Visit site
I have a Compass Kensington 554 and about to fit an Autovox W7pro. Question is will I invalidate 10 year warranty if I drill a small hole behind number plate to thread camera cable through and out of existing rear light grommet?
Any advice on this project welcome. The W7pro has a power supply and aerial module which will need locating somewhere. Due to the build there is no empty cavity.
Regards
Ken

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi greencroft, and welcome. My understanding is that your warranty will only be affected if any fault resulting in a claim can be shown to be caused by your alteration. However, not that I have personally found this to be the case, some will say dealers will try anything to get out of a claim.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Normally the claim is not valid for the area where the hold has been drilled. However I would not consider it when you take into consideration the number of back panels that crack. That could be an excellent excuse to reject any claim for the whole rear panel and also any damp ingress. I would be very wary.

Not sure but I think some people have tapped off the 12v to the brake light? They have then taken the wire out via the light itself rather than drill a hole. However it is your choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its almost impossible to answer this on a forum. becasue there is no standard form for the terms and conditions in warranty schemes, so it will depend on exactly what's been done, and how the manufacturer of your caravan wishes to interpret the T&C's.

I would hope such an installation would not cause a problem, but you will have to confirm with your manufacturer to know for certain.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have made several holes on my caravan, one for a new EHU point (so a decent sized hole) and one for a rear view (not reversing) camera. Both holes through the actual body panels (GRP not ABS) I queried my position in regards to warranty with my (excellent) dealer. Their response was as above. It will ONLY effect the warranty if any claim is a direct result of what you have done (cut a hole for EHU and drilled a hole for camera feed)

Having done both jobs myself I am more than happy that I used more sealant/taken a lot more care than would be the case if done at the factory.

As for your reversing camera take the feed for it off the caravans reversing light supply. I fitted a rear view camera to mine so needed to take feed from a permanent (when connected to the car only) 12v supply in the caravan and located the transmitter in a wardrobe. All the wiring is run through some small self adhesive cable trunking obtained from B&Q

As for the chances of the rear panel cracking (assuming its just an apron rather than the entire back panel of the caravan) as a result of a hole being drilled (if its ABS) I would class it as being as near to zero as possible so would not give it a second thought.

Just remember that a low mounted reversing camera probably won't "see" any low hanging tree branches

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 4, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I must add that I tested the Autovox W7pro by attaching a 12 volt battery to the camera/aerial in the garage. The caravan was on the drive and the car another 10metres from the van. The engine running and the signal was still sharp and stable. I certainly recommend this camera.
We've been caravanning 44 years and first time I've considered a rear camera. We'll see how it goes.
Regards
Ken

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
If its not too late I would seriously think about the benefits of changing it to a rear view rather than just a reversing camera. Far more useful (and will still serve as a reversing camera when needed)

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If its not too late I would seriously think about the benefits of changing it to a rear view rather than just a reversing camera. Far more useful (and will still serve as a reversing camera when needed)
I fully agree, my hard wired one works very well.

Studio_20200720_233609.png

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
My rear view camera is fully wireless with an in-built battery. I was too lazy and did not want to drill any holes. Battery life is about 8 hours and links to a phone in the car.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My rear view camera is fully wireless with an in-built battery. I was too lazy and did not want to drill any holes. Battery life is about 8 hours and links to a phone in the car.
I tried one of those. Held on by velcro. Great idea , but in my case, let down by a poor app.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What make is your camera Hutch??
Hi Dave, mine is so old I can't find the instructions with the name on them, this is almost the same as mine though. Power comes from the plug, I run my cable along the RH awning rail , then put the cable in through the rear of the car and hook upto the monitor.
Camera

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveA1
May 4, 2023
Visit site
Good feedback from everyone. Eventually installed on top of the caravan number plate. The 12v was taken from the number plate light. I ran cables down through the cavity using a stiff piece of wire for the pull through. I then mounted the aerial module and minature psu in a plastic project screwed on the bottom of the van about one meter in from the rear. Reception is great. I'm still deciding on which is the best place for the monitor. Any suggestions?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Good feedback from everyone. Eventually installed on top of the caravan number plate. The 12v was taken from the number plate light. I ran cables down through the cavity using a stiff piece of wire for the pull through. I then mounted the aerial module and minature psu in a plastic project screwed on the bottom of the van about one meter in from the rear. Reception is great. I'm still deciding on which is the best place for the monitor. Any suggestions?
Sounds good. Would be good to have pictures and links in case anyone ellse would like to do it.

Did you use a separate monitor or a mirror monitor, or were you able to make use of the car's screen? ( with some it's possible).

John

May 4, 2023
Visit site
I've attached photos. 12v taken from side lights and camera cable fed via side lights aperture. Sikaflex 522 used to reseal side lights. ABS box screwed to base of caravan contains aerial and psu modules. No extra holes drilled

Attachments

• PSX_20230511_131328.jpg
    PSX_20230511_131328.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 10
  • PSX_20230511_131412.jpg
    PSX_20230511_131412.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 10
  • PSX_20230511_131831.jpg
    PSX_20230511_131831.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Mel

TRENDING THREADS