Reverse polarity

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

Am going to France next week for the first time with van, wife & kids but have been a little bit concerned about the possibility of reverse polarity.

Am I right in thinking that if I need to change the polarity I just have to change the live and neutral in my cable to the van? (I have a polarity tester to plug into my socket when I get hooked up.)

Is it really that simple or am I missing a trick here???

Simon V

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Simon,

Yes in principle your solution is correct , however there is a safer solution, but it costs a little more,

You need to obtain a new C-form plug and socket ( just like the ones on your existing cable), and a short length of cable. Make up a new short lead with the bits and cross the wires in it as you have described.

Then it is quick and simple to introduce the adaptor into your EHU connection if you need to correct the polarity, and simply leave it out if the supply is ok. No rewiring needed in the rain etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As John says its much easier if you have the above lead to reverse polarity without having to get out a screwdriver possibly in the rain

You may also need an adapter to convert from the French 2 pin and earth

See below

It depends on whether the French site has the older domestic type of site socket (ie two pins and an earth socket on the plug you put in)

OR if it has the newer and increasingly more common Euro blue type of socket.

SO what you need is one adaptor to cover the first situation that converts the old type French socket to the newer Euro blue socket and thus your existing van lead.

If when you plug in the polarity tester in the van etc you have reversed polarity you then put in your reversed lead (clearly marked) which has a blue Euro plug at one end and a blue Euro socket at the other

When confronted by the Euro socket on the site electrics follow the same procedure but without the first adaptor.!!

A reverse polarity adapter is simply a short lead with the blue Euro plug on one end and a a blue Euro socket on the other ed with the live and neutral reversed at one end

You can make one up by chopping 2 ft of cable off a hook up lead and replacing the plug .You then put a blue socket on the end of the short lead with the live and neutral reversed

I usually put the reverse polarity adapter at the van end and so I have the short length long enough to go under the van and I then hook it up onto the van chassis so that its off the ground

Hope that helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As John says its much easier if you have the above lead to reverse polarity without having to get out a screwdriver possibly in the rain

See below

It depends on whether the French site has the older domestic type of site socket (ie two pins and an earth socket on the plug you put in)

SO what you need is one adaptor to cover the first situation that converts the old type French socket to the newer Euro blue socket and thus your existing van lead.

If when you plug in the polarity tester in the van etc you have reversed polarity you then put in your reversed lead (clearly marked) which has a blue Euro plug at one end and a blue Euro socket at the other

When confronted by the Euro socket on the site electrics follow the same procedure but without the first adaptor.!!

A reverse polarity adapter is simply a short lead with the blue Euro plug on one end and a a blue Euro socket on the other ed with the live and neutral reversed at one end

You can make one up by chopping 2 ft of cable off a hook up lead and replacing the plug .You then put a blue socket on the end of the short lead with the live and neutral reversed

I usually put the reverse polarity adapter at the van end and so I have the short length long enough to go under the van and I then hook it up onto the van chassis so that its off the ground

Hope that helps
http://www.towsure.com/product/545-Mains_Polarity_Tester_Plug

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

See below

Hope that helps
http://www.towsure.com/product/349-Continental_Mains_Converter_Lead

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Simon

I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago about this as I wanted to understand this as well. Since then, following the excellent advice from more experienced caravanners than me, I have had an adaptor made up that sits in the battery box. It's as described below but short enough to sit in the box, the 25m cable will then plug into this adaptor inside the box and run to the socket in the campsite. If this is a french-style connector, I have bought another adaptor from Halfrauds (about

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

Thanks for the advice. Have made up a short lead ready for reverse polarity, and have purchased a 2 pin plug adaptor for the French sites (if needed!!)

Looking forward to the experience, hope I need all leads that I have acquired, Sods law says I won't, but would need it if I didn't have it!!

Thanks guys

Simon V

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts