REVERSING CLUTCH SMELL / BURNING

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

don't know if i am doing something wrong but here is my problem.

the site i normally go to has quite a few slight slopes on it and when i come to reversing i get a burning smell from my clutch is there some sort of way of stopping this happening i once heard somebody had a bracket to stop the tow bracket from pushing up against the caravan so the brakes would not engage

i have a bailey senator 6 series and an L200 Animal

any suggestions

thanks

simon

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It might help if you always pull forward a foot before you reverse to ensure the damper assembly is extended. Thus dont stop going backwards until your finished, if not practical its up forwards again a touch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon

There are loads of threads on this subject if you have time to scroll through.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the caravans braking system, ie the brakes do not operate when reversing, then may I suggest you select low ratio and try and keep the revs to a minimum. Low ratio on my Sorie means the clutch is fully engaged and she creeps back at a snails pace.

Cheers

Alan

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
simon

There is no answer to this problem. As you said, you have come to a stop on a hill going down, the weight of the caravan is pushing foreward putting the brakes of the van on.

As you try to reverse you are pusing back against the brakes which are still on. All you will do is burn out your clutch.

Try creeping forward to release the brakes of the van before going into reverse.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Joby

That's a new one on me that asbestos lined clutches don't smell.

How do you reach that conclusion?

All my old clutches stank when slipping and they were asbestos ; eg the Austin A35 etc????

So is it ok for Simon to carry on regardless of smell in his reversing???

Cheers

Alan

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Simon

I had the same problem with a renault then my Xtrail, I solved it with a motor mover, much better now & easier

Mick k.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Simon,

As you appreciate the smell is because the clutch is slipping. The only way to reduce this is to reduce the amount of slippage you allow. As soon as I am actually moving in reverse, I let the clutch out fully as soon as possible, and keep the engine revs quite low. It helps that I use a diesel, where the tick over is governed and the low down torque generally helps to prevent stalling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts