Reversing Help

Sep 4, 2021
Visit site
Yes, its a total nightmare for us and planning our first week away tommorow. If we get a 100% fail rate reversing into the pitch (likely) is it acceptable to bribe a fellow caravanner with booze to reverse it in for us? lol

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, its a total nightmare for us and planning our first week away tommorow. If we get a 100% fail rate reversing into the pitch (likely) is it acceptable to bribe a fellow caravanner with booze to reverse it in for us? lol
Just find a local industrial estate and at a quite time take the van over and practice. The key is small gentle movements of the wheel. There’s lots of advice on Clubs websites and internet on how to reverse position a caravan for pitching or if the on the roads. You can’t ignore it so best to dive in. The two clubs do courses that cover manoeuvre and lots of other stuff. If on a CCC site ask the manager to give you some guidance, they often do particularly as they accompany you to your pitch.

I would recommend having a mover fitted they are really useful, as on some sites it can be almost impossible to pitch a van using the car given lamp posts, shrubs, opposite caravans etc.

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Always try to have the pitch that you want to reverse into on the offside ( drivers side) so that you can see the space you're reversing into by looking back through the drivers window.
If there's room, pull up at an angle with the front of your car pointing away from your pitch.
Do everything slowly.
Use only small inputs on the steering wheel, to get the back of the caravan to go right, turn the steering wheel slightly to the left.
When your caravan is reversing in the direction that you want, turn the steering wheel in the direction that you're reversing into to straighten up.
Have a shunt forward to correct things if they start going wrong.
Have somebody at the back of the unit where you can see them to make sure that you don't hit anything.
Never be afraid to ask for help, caravanners are normally friendly and helpful.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Unless you pay for something like a Caravan Club course, its just a case of practice. As above, go find an empty car park and have fun!

Other caravanners will happily do it for you (i've been asked twice!), but bear in mind that if they reverse your car into your caravan or drive it through a hedge, i doubt your insurers will be interested !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Steven,

I echo all the points Parksy and others have made I don't want to frighten you, but you'd think that HGV artic drivers would find a small caravan a doddle, but its surprising how many have commented in the forum they need to adjust their skills becasue of how quickly a caravan being reversed goes of track far quicker than 10m artic. trailer.

Its all to do with the distance between the coupling and the road wheels of the trailer.

But its quite obvious that most caravanners do manage it, and I'm sure you will too.

have you considered taking one of the clubs caravanning training courses, its not essential, but it does give not only caravanning reversing training, but also some other very useful tips and tricks about caravanning in general.

If reversing really does become nightmare for you, the you should seriously consider getting a caravan mover fitted. It makes positioning caravan both on site or in storage so easy, and its not wimping out its a sensible aid that not only helps with positioning, it can save personal injuries and burnt clutches on the car.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I just want to add to all the great advice already given.
Make sure the person standing at the back of your caravan who is directing you, as you reverse, can always be seen in your mirrors and thatthey can see your mirrors.
Think of the signs on the back of large goods vehicles which warn, " If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you".
If you do lose sight of the guide, stop immediately until they move back into view.
This is really important to avoid hitting things you can't see.
Agree on a set of hand signals you both understand so there is no confusion over what is being communicated.
Also, weather permitting, wind your windows down so you can hear each other.
Lastly, don't get all stressed out about it as it will ruin your holiday before you have started it.
Good luck and enjoy yourselves.:)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I just want to add to all the great advice already given.
Make sure the person standing at the back of your caravan who is directing you, as you reverse, can always be seen in your mirrors and thatthey can see your mirrors.
Think of the signs on the back of large goods vehicles which warn, " If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you".
If you do lose sight of the guide, stop immediately until they move back into view.
This is really important to avoid hitting things you can't see.
Agree on a set of hand signals you both understand so there is no confusion over what is being communicated.
Also, weather permitting, wind your windows down so you can hear each other.
Lastly, don't get all stressed out about it as it will ruin your holiday before you have started it.
Good luck and enjoy yourselves.:)
That is all great advice, I would add that use of mobile phones to get instructions from the person at the rear is invaluable and avoids a lot of shouting

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Well folks, thanks for all the tips. We are now officially setup and the reversing done in 10mins.well, in at 45 degrees but nothing a bit of shoving couldn't fix lol
It does get easier the more you do, but some days you just make a total hash of it 🤷‍♀️
Don't be afraid to abort, straighten up or start again at any point.
Also don't worry what others may think!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Using a lot of CAMH sites I did try to pick pitches where you could reverse with the peg in view as that was far easier. With the new system they are rolling out with a peg either side this should be far easier.

Reactions: steven_wynn_uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts