Reversing with a TA caravan,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Having taken onboard help from our Mods , From another thread, people say that a Twin Axle (TA) caravan are easier to reverse than a Single ( SA), I thought it was the other way around , due to not having the TA wheels "Skidding ". ?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
In my experience the reason that t/a caravans are relatively easier to reverse is due to the distance of the axles from the tow hitch.
A greater distance between the tow hitch and the wheels means that the caravan or trailer is slower to react to steering inputs, allowing more time for corrections during the manoeuvre.
A camping trailer, or worse still a garden trailer reacts much more quickly to slight steering inputs because the drawbar (or chassis) needs to travel further on a trailer with a longer wheelbase to have an effect on the trailers direction of travel.
Side skidding of wheels is fairly common on HGV trailers, especially those with triple axles, but twin caravan axles are close enough together to minimise the effects of side scrubbing of tyres.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch.

The ta is slower reacting to movement because of the wheel scrub. Invariably a ta in most cases is a lot longer than a sa so the pivot point occurs much later.
If you use a mover, which you and I do, you will be able to rotate on a sixpence. Not so the ta even with a four wheel drive mover.
When reversing the ta things happen slower and with more forgiveness and less likely good of a jack knife. Try mine out next time we meet.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dusty you show me how to reverse your Van onto pitch and I will show you how to use my new drone, Only 1 beer required. :cheer: My motor mover get used every service time. Next week.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got a large twin axle trailer which will hold over a ton which I use for household rubbish etc but I find reversing the caravan easier!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'd say the ease of reversing has more to do with size than the number of axles. The car will normally have enough power to easily overcome the extra tyre scrub that a twin axle experiences when reversing around a corner, so that the driver won't even notice the difference.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Simple answer Hutch, some of us can and some of you can't, reverse a caravan that is. It's down to one thing in the end, skill. Having said that even Lady therapy can almost reverse a twin axle.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dusty you show me how to reverse your Van onto pitch and I will show you how to use my new drone, Only 1 beer required. :cheer: My motor mover get used every service time. Next week.
You really want me to play with your joy stick :evil:

May 4, 2018
Visit site
Hi!! :)
My name is Nick.
I think this post will be interesting for you about campers http://whatmycarworth.com/using-kelley-blue-book-rv-to-find-the-value-of-a-camper

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
My ! You were quick there parksy ! No sooner had I emailed you and the post was gone ! B)
I'd seen it as I was answering on another thread Craig.
I'm only using my phone, if I'd been on my laptop the spam would have disappeared even quicker. :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts