Reversing with Caravan.

Apr 28, 2005
Visit site
Dear all,

Hi again, I've been told not to reverse my Caravan up on to my drive as this will burn out my clutch. Does anyone have any advice on this as, I can't picture my wife & I pushing the Carvan up onto the drive over a kerb!

Thanks

Noaman

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Noaman, unless the design of the clutch is weak, and caravan brakes operate correctly, then reversing shouldn't put excessive strain on the clutch. There have been certain cars reported in the forum with clutch overheating problems when reversing. This may be because the tendency is to slip the clutch to keep the speed down.

I reverse with the van on regularly with a Honda CRV and have no problems. I would suggest that you do not push the van up the kerb but use a ramp in the gutter.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I would recomend to use the car everytime to reverse your caravan especially uphill. You have the caravan under cotrol on the car. I have heard of a case where someone got crushed by their trailer running away, with terminal consequences.

I don't have much option with my twinaxle van, but I only use a two wheel drive car to tow and have no probs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with reversing a van. To me the trick is to leave the car on tickover (ie take your foot off the accelerator altogether)and use the clutch only. You will find on a modern engine that the tickover speed will increase as you release the clutch you will then go backwards slowly and under control. Same apples to crawling up hills in slow moving traffic - no more smells from burning clutches. It does work!!

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Chris is right, keep the revs as low as you can while slipping the clutch, you'll only burn the clutch out if you're reving the engine to high which is the mistake most people make.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The alternative is to fit a front mounted push tow ball and push the caravan up the slope.

I had to do this when I removed the Powrtouch mover due to insufficient payload

See Western Towing or Watling Engineering.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

There is more strain on the clutch during reversing as the override doen't completely dis-engage the caravan brakes.

I've had a warm clutch a few times reversing up hills and one time I had to go around again to come back down the hill.

Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts